It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Creation stories in first book of the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I read the Bible sometimes, I find it never says anything that some people claim that it does.

One thing that is of interest is that there are two different creation stories in Genesis, the first book of the Bible ( King James edition, the usual one that the others are all drawn from, excepting the pre-King James books not included in that compilation, and the ones that come from the Quamran ( Dead Sea Scrolls ) discoveries ) -

one is the universe-created-in-seven-days, that is the first chapter of Genesis and overlaps slightly into chapter 2,

then - chapter two tells us that -

after chapter 1 (and a bit of 2) has finished the whole 7-days of creation, which included making men and women,

that -

there was not a man to til the Earth............so then, in chapter two 'God' makes Adam and puts him in a garden, to tend it, then it describes how Eve is made from Adam.

So, something is a bit wrong there. First, the seven days are completed - including all the plants and animals and men and women,

but then, after that has happened, there suddenly "is not a man to till the ground" - Genesis chapter 2, verse 5.

Sitchin is right, that second chapter is not the same creation as the first chapter.

In the first creation, God makes everything - he doesn't need anyone to till it, it's all done.

Notice how chapter 2 mentions specificly gold, onyx, and bdellium. But there's no connection to existing people being geneticly tampered with to be miners and / or gardeners.

Even if - even if the rest of the Bible, after chapter 1 of Genesis, is about that day when God made Adam and Eve, you still have to admit that that's a lot of things to go wrong in one day - and all those generations of people? It means we are still in about day 6, if you believe that the chapter 2 'creation' is by the same God as described in chapter 1.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
im sure this has been covered in many threads... go to my site www.thetruthisoutthere.tk it has a lot of crap on there but also i put a lot about christianity and the bible on there

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm sorry if someone else has already posted about the two different creation stories in the first two chapters of the Bible,

the search engine doesn't seem to work well enough to pin-point exact posts that contain exact phrases, so I didn't bother trying it for this topic, I just looked thru the subject headers.

Can you link any threads on these forums to here, that say about the two different creation stories?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
From what you described it sounds like the first story is telling that God created everything and the second story sounds like an extension on how he created people. Starting from when there was not man.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
From what you described it sounds like the first story is telling that God created everything and the second story sounds like an extension on how he created people. Starting from when there was not man.

your sort of right. what this actually is is when God is referring to when he made everything, it was confusing to, and I said to myself that "God already made these things, whys he making them again?" but after thinking about it for a while, God was just referring to the time he made em, not stating he made them again, as the first time clearly states he made them then, but the second time isnt so clear in that area, its just restating what happened.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Yep, that's exactly what I wrote - that would then mean that we are all currently in day 6, or thereabouts.

So day seven hasn't happened yet.........if the second creation story is an extrapolation of some of the first creation story.

Don't orthodox Jews, or maybe only Kabbalists, say that the world is still being created?

That's the only possible explanation, unless you go with the one that is proposed by many other ideas, including those put forth by Sitchin.

Even if it is right ( the universe is still in the midst of being created and Day 7 hasn't happened yet ), it in no way discredits what is in The Earth Chronicles at all, it still has to have happened - to have Day 6 or thereabouts to go on for so many generations inlcuding just now with them still being born.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It is possible that there were several different versions of creation story and someone decided to write it all down into one, the book of Genesis, and so created the whole confusion.

The whole Genesis is quite confusing. I think it says that god created earth first and then sun, stars and the moon, right?
Or the whole "Giants" and "Sons of God" confusion in chapter 6 (?)

To me it looks like several different myths and stories put into one story.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.law.umkc.edu...

The Bible contradicts itself in stating the order of creation.

In the beginning, about 3,000 years ago, Jewish desert dwellers in what is present-day southern Israel told a story around campfires about the creation of the first man and first woman. The story they told, and passed on to generations of future desert dwellers, described a pre-creation scene much like the desert landscape in which they daily struggled for existence. From the dry desert dust the Creator forms a man and breaths life into him, and then places him in a beautiful oasis-like garden, abundant with fruits. The Creator takes a personal interest in this first man, and sets about trying to find him a suitable companion. When none of the creatures He first forms provides the man the comfort He had hoped, the Creator makes the first woman. Everything goes well for a spell, in the story told in the desert, but then the Creator is disobeyed and bad things start to happen.

Four or five centuries later, five-hundred-plus miles to the east in what is most likely present-day Iraq, a remarkable Jewish writer—whose name we do not know—set about the ambitious task of constructing a primary history of his people. Evil Merodach reigned in this dark time of Jewish exile, around 560 B.C., and the writer hoped that his history would help his people endure their many trials. The writer was most likely a priest, and might have been assisted in his work by other priests and scribes. To accomplish his mission, he acquired at least two pre-existing writings on Jewish history. The prior writings came from different places and different times. One set of writings used the Canaanite term, “Elohim,” as the name of the creator god. A second set of writings, more ancient than the first, used a Judean term, “YHWH” (translated “Jehovah” in English), to describe its deity.

The web page referenced above should be required reading for anybody interested in speaking about Christian theology.

Zip

new topics

top topics

join