It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry a gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
a reply to: JBurns

Firstly RIP to those in the video

I hope now not to sound flippant but could I ask how many murders you and your gun have stopped so far?

If zero do you hope it remains that way or do you hope one day to save someone?

Because it could just mean you carrying a gun all your life for no reason, I certainly hope it is that way for you

While guns are an inanimate object they do enable Humans to commit murder with little to no regard, and yes murder has and will always be part of society, why we choose to take life from one another is to me A great mystery.

Completely agree. I carry but hope to God I never kill anything more than a can with it. I have to justify hunting as I think it's a necessary ability, but I have no desire to take a life, or even harm one.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
a reply to: seagull

I have to ask. Why was the man thinking of beating on your door with a sledgehammer? Do not feel obliged to answer but I am curious.

A sledgehammer is a common way to breach a door with bolt locks, chains, dead bolts or many times all of the above.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Now that is horrific.
I watched the video and am speechless after hearing channon and chris' story.
Simply disgusting.
How can a person treat a human being like that.
I never heard their story before, but am reading it now.

Those 5 perps each deserve the sentence of experiencing what they inflicted on these two.
And I hope they do...each of them... before they enter the gas chamber.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It may seem odd to some, but I usually don't carry when I'm out and about on errands, but I do nearly always when working around the house and yard.

I figure, and it's been my experience, that that is where the trouble will probably find me, if ever it does. Out and about, I'm in my car mostly, and can, if need be, get away that way or run it over. At home, where am I supposed to go? Or so my reasoning goes.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

In a small New England town with a crime rate % of nothing more than kids egging and TP'ing houses during Halloween? On a lazy summer evening? A truck wound it's way into the driveway of my farm.

A drunk man with a long rifle got out and started screaming for someone who wasn't there - had never been there - he was at the wrong house his licence plate from Massachusetts.

I carried. Always. Yeah, on a sleepy little farm. (Well I also had a black ostrich and I didn't go into his cage without being armed with my 9mm), but the point is? I believe I saved the life of my daughter and a girl who worked for me that day.

Yeah, I drew down on him and he dropped his rifle. It was quite a long time (seemed like it) before the police arrived. I didn't take him out of my sights until he was on the ground.

I believe to this day if my daughter or the girl that worked for me walked out of the house when he was screaming for 'Wendy' (whoever she is) - he would have shot them.

It was in the air - and anyone who's been there knows just what I'm saying.

edit on 0446Thursday201713 by silo13 because: fixed plural

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
For anybody interested in reviewing the trial of these 5 POS,
Chris tian Newsom case

One of the scum bags feared for his safety in jail.
So was asked for protective custody.

Like wtf?! A violent criminal should not be given the luxury of PC during their sentence.

Maybe he would relive his actions over and over again if he had to spend the rest of his worthless life fearing for his safety every second of the day.
And Then maybe he would know exactly how his victims felt up until their deaths.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I was taking a nap at a rest area in my car, for what ever reason I opened my eye to see someone trying to fit there hand threw my window I had cracked open, my trusty 38 went between his eyes he changed his mind and ran like hell back to a car load of people and burned rubber.... my wife and daughter were still sleeping in the back seat..that's why I carry a gun

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Thank you for working to enforce the law. My (utopistic) wish is that i could live in a planet where there is no need for police or prisons, but, as is obvious, that is not the case.

U.S.A has the second amendment and it is an important right. Some valid examples have been written to this thread where right to carry was a good thing.

After reading the comments, i think i will not check out the video. In a relatively good mood now and i don't want to ruin it.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Oddly enough, there was a lot of fear mongering before the new Carry laws took effect, which absolutely never came true. Crime rates have dropped, if anything. There haven't been any mass murders or law enforcement deaths from the new law, and it has inspired a lot of local people to become more active in government (since everyone worked so hard to get the law passed)

New Carry Laws?

You have a link or summary, I don't carry but have been SERIOUSLY thinking about it, I was caught in a situation where I found myself possibly at the end of a large revolver last year 😒

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Speaking only for myself, one. My own. Or possibly. Gentleman was standing at my door with a rather large hammer, and was thinking about breaking down my door. He saw me, was going to break the door down anyway, then he saw the revolver I had just pulled out of my desk drawer, where it resides at this very moment.

He went even whiter than he was naturally, and left. I got a nice sledge hammer out of the deal. I'm alive, and I've got a big hammer--win/win.

So. One.

WOW

Glad you're alive!

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Feel like I need to post this only to show the opposite side of the coin and what might have happened had i been carrying or someone else is.

Situation #1: So, I'm in a new relationship, things are going good, for a while, things start to heat up between us in a bad way due to us discussing- money.

I leave for a bit and come back, I'm sitting on the edge of the bed with her and we're both crying but we're not taking, she reaches over and opens her nightstand and pulls out a, what looks to be a silver/short barrel .44mag (?)...Loaded. (I know it was bigger than a 32 for sure)

I calmly touch her hand as it rested on her lap and clamly said "That's not necessary sweetie ok?" And kissed her cheek and she put it back in her drawer.

Shortly after, we divorced. True story.

Scenario #2: in another relationship, during some arguements, I might have been dead due to her anger issues if i had a gun.

edit on 2-11-2017 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

You could replace the word "gun" with the word "crucifix" and it would be exactly as valid.

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Agreed. As I sit in my living room ready for bed...I have my slim frame 9mm in my pocket. Carry it even in the house. I still have to let the dog out into the darkness. And my wife was held up right here in our driveway at night. And I live in a relatively nice West side suburb.

I also carry my 45 ACP "hand cannon" going out of town or state or late at night certain times.....I dont intend to EVER having to draw or use them unless someone is gonna die.....
edit on 2-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: bed-time

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

UpIsNowDown,

Guns do not allow people to commit murder with little or no regard. Mental defectiveness, sociopathy of one form or another, is what permits a person to kill with little or no regard for the target, and ONLY the mindset of the person possessing the weapon, be it a gun, a knife, or a housebrick, has ANY bearing on whether it will be used, and under what circumstance it will be used.

People HAVE to stop spinning the gun issue like this. Guns are not the problem, murderous bastards are, and dealing with them is a priority.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Why carry a gun? Police can be useless. The guy in the video didn't have one. He got lucky. If he had been armed though...

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
I hope now not to sound flippant but could I ask how many murders you and your gun have stopped so far?

Last April I had to go to a meeting at one of our offices that is in a not so nice section of town. When I go there I always carry a pistol. When the meeting was over I was walking to my car. One of my co-workers was about 50 yards in front of me. A man came up to her, knocked her down and grabbed her purse and computer case. If he would have ran away, all I could have done was to give a description, instead he started kicking her. I came up, pulled my pistol and told him to stop just as he was getting ready to kick her in the head. He stopped. Somebody called the police and they were there in a few minutes. He was arrested, they took my gun and asked me to go with them to the station. I told them that I needed to get a hold of my co-worker's husband and see her to the hospital. I asked what station and told them that I would meet them there. My co-worker was in the hospital for several days and had to have surgery for internal bleeding.
I went to the station, gave a statement and got my pistol back. A few days later an Assistant District Attorney calls me to tell me that no charges were going to filed ON ME. He also told me that if I would have shot the man I would have not faced any charges.

Last week I went to the man's trial. He was 16 years old. While I was waiting there was a couple who just sat there and glared at me. I found out that they were hie parents. His lawyer tried to make me out as some kind of gun nut. The Police had gotten video of the attack from a camera in a nearby store. I found out that the guy who called the police called them ON ME for having a gun. After the trial his parents came up to me and apologized. Until they saw the video, they had no idea that their son was capable of doing something like that.

Prevent a murder, I don't know. I do know that if he had kicked her in the head as hard as he was kicking her in the torso he would have hurt her pretty bad. That's why i carry a gun.
edit on 3-11-2017 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Protective custody isn't just for the POS's behind bars. It's also for the folks who risk life and limb to keep said POS's off the street and behind those bars.

In your example: That said POS is attacked by those he may, or may not, justifiably fear, those guards are forced to attempt to stop the attack, as it's kinda their job... Protective custody helps them do that job while minimizing their own risk, which can be substantial.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Because blood is hard to get out of your clothing when you use a rock.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks but I did state that guns are an inanimate object and thus do not directly kill humans, but it is a not much of a stretch of my imagination to see they enable week people to be fearless and ultimatley slay whomever they choose.

I was not trying to spin the issue, if you own a gun good for you, if you dont own a gun good for you, live and let live ?

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My GF and I both have CC authorization. Give us the opportunity to "stand our ground" and see what happens.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join