It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salmon Farming Destroying First Nations Wild Fish Stocks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Here's a thought provoking video showing the almost unbelievable poor health and deformities of some farmed salmon.

And here are the tough questions.

Is this deliberate? Is this genocide? The surrounding wild fish stocks are being decimated. They're eating the waste containing the dangerous additives that are used in the feed pellets. They're contracting the diseases and the lice. The long term effect could only be the collapse of the wild fish population if this was allowed to continue.

Could it be deliberate policy to destroy First Nations resources?

edit on 23 10 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The record in salmon fish farms in Scotland is similarly shocking, although the Scottish Government (yes those progressives) with the Green Party support have successfully nullified dissent, by failing to act or acknowledge problems. Shooting seals, pumping tonnes of chemicals to treat parasites and creating environmental dead zones is all part of the day to day business of salmon farming. Oh, and wild salmon stocks in Scottish rivers have plummeted.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well thats the master plan. Eventually the Local wild fish will die out and you have to buy fish from farms.. probably owend by China or india.

Ps... regarding issues with fish on the video. 99% are down to inbreeding. Very common, specially in aquarium fish farms.
edit on 23-10-2017 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Twenty five years ago in Ireland I met a man who speared salmon. He said there were places where his predecessors in hob nailed boots had worn hollows into the rock where they stood waiting. But since the farms started the numbers of wild salmon dropped and their condition as well. He said they'd look normal in the water but when you got them out they were thinner than before the farms.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I can't speak for other countries but here in The Netherlands all fish products are labelled. MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) or ASC (Aquaculture Stewardship Council). Avoid everything with the ASC label. Consumers are also responsible for this problem. Never buy anything with the ASC label, job done.

They have organic salmon here in the supermarkets. The stuff costs the bomb. Then you see the ASC label and realise you probably shouldn't eat it regardless of all the claims on the packaging.
edit on 23/10/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

What can we learn about the Cod fishery collapse ... Did it have a input into the decisions made about fish farms ?

edit on 23-10-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Yes, farming destroys genetic diversity, reduces immune systems ability to fight disease.

They do it because theres not many options to continue the species. Just about all rivers are dammed, depleted and polluted by agricultural runoff. Theres little place left for salmon to run to.

One day they will become extinct, the last few examples rotting in an aquarium or stuffed on display, where they charge the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Time to reduce Fed. regulations, they are obviously leading to terrible fish, polluting and raising prices.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Chile is one of the worlds largest Salmon exporters. It's a friggin disaster there..

Hopefully the Natives can get these farms shut down before the same thing happens in Canada...

Though I doubt it...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This breaks my heart! I love salmon and not just because they are so tasty. They are a very important part of our ecosystem.

Tree growth in coastal rainforests is limited by the availability of the element nitrogen...
The fish left behind by the bears are packed with nitrogen, which fertilizes the trees and helps them grow to their impressive size.

Reimchen's team discovered peak years where individual Sitka spruce derived 80 per cent of their nitrogen from the isotope found in ocean-going salmon.

Millions of insects also eat the leftover salmon, bolstering invertebrate populations, which in turn feed birds and other small forest creatures. Dr. Reimchen's team found insects with more than half their nitrogen coming from an ocean source, and a greater abundance and variety of both insects and plants near salmon bearing streams.
Source

Commercial fishing has been a very lucrative industry and one that needs to be regulated, like it or not. The alternative to a regulated industry is no industry at all. It is becoming quit apparent that the regulations need to extend into fish farming as well to protect wild salmon.

I will only eat wild salmon, going on more than two decades, in the hopes of supporting commercial fishing of wild fish and their protection. One of the slogans has been, "Say no to drugs, don't eat farmed fish". I do not know if this is helping but I do strongly believe that more education is needed as we all need to understand what is going on and what impact it is having on the environment. How important is our wild salmon?
National Geographic-Alaska Salmon Forsts

edit on 10/23/2017 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

They have organic salmon here in the supermarkets. The stuff costs the bomb.
Be careful with such labels. Here in America the label "organic" is rather ambiguous. Several times individual states have tried to pass organic labeling laws only to fail. Are such products labeled "organic" truly organic? 100%-50% organic or less? What is "organic salmon" and how is it different from wild salmon?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

I think you may have misread my previous post. The "organic" salmon here often has the ASC sticker. By definition, origin and method, completely unhealthy.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Time to reduce Fed. regulations, they are obviously leading to terrible fish, polluting and raising prices.

Ehhh....no. If anything, time for higher regulations and restrictions.

Unregulated fishing industries are what depleted the Mediterranean stocks and killed off the Med in general, leading to the collapse of Med countries fishing industries, on top of eco cdisaster.

Fish farming is not well regulated, either.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Maybe I'm getting old, but I remember what real food used to taste like. I can actually taste some of the chemicals in this crap food now. Fish doesn't even look like it used to. The texture and color is way off, it is basically nasty! I had to go on an all liquid diet after a surgery I had. After a week of that all food tasted horrible. Gatorade tasted like spicy chemicals! Most people don't know what real food tastes like, I mean like non gmo, non hybrid grown in nice soil food. If you ever tasted a real strawberry from your own garden. Even home grown romaine lettuce tastes so different. We have lost our sense of taste and smell, it is so sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I live on Lake Michigan and we have salmon, lots of them/

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Yeah, and salmon were introduced to the Great Lakes, they aren't even native. They raise the salmon in fish hatcheries then release them, so not sure if they could survive wild or not.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Sooner or later, Mother Nature will punish us for this.

new topics

top topics

join