It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can there be an option to turn stars off?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
Depending on your Web Browser, you can install an Ad blocker like UBlock Origin (Firefox) and select the element on the site you wish to block - it will block the link to the image/text etc and it wont display whatever it is you picked.

Your browser may also have an inbuilt blocker already and you just have to grab the link to the stars and put it in, but an element blocker is easier.

I do it with the Mail Icon and text here as I do not like message.

Other then blocking it with an element blocker, there is no option on ATS to do that.

Your suggestion would violate ATS T&Cs.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i don't really notice the stars anymore. if they were somehow monetized i might rethink my nonchalance.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Jackask much?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Yawn. People should be free to run whatever software they'd like on their computer. If the no ad-block rule was enforced, there'd go a good chunk of the userbase.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Seems silly, they're useful to quickly identify either useful and/or trendy content.

Also offers a gauge to the collective thought which helps me identify just how #ed we are as a people.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: JinMI

Jackask much?

Awww, shucks. I'm glad you took the time out of your clearly busy schedule to acknowledge me.

P.S. You're spelling is wonderful!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It would not.

You are blocking an element on the site, you are not blocking the Ads on the site, it would not violate.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Chuck didn’t reply, so George swung round in his saddle. He could just see Chuck’s face, a white oval turned toward the sky.

“Look,” whispered Chuck, and George lifted his eyes to heaven. (There is always a last time for everything.)

Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.

downlode.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Stars don't bother me. I think they're kind of fun. But I sure as hell wish they give back our 'ignore' feature. I never used it when we had it, but I would now.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

It would not.

You are blocking an element on the site, you are not blocking the Ads on the site, it would not violate.

Do it and find out

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Yawn. People should be free to run whatever software they'd like on their computer. If the no ad-block rule was enforced, there'd go a good chunk of the userbase.

Double yawn, another opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I do block elements, I even stated I do, right in the very forum that the admins and mods read first, and not for the first time.

edit on 19-10-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Fixed

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I do block elements, I even stated I do, right in the very forum that the admins and mods read first, and not for the first time.

It appears that all of your items that we were discussing are currently in place rather than blocked.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bgerbger
Does anyone else dislike stars, or find them a bit distracting when reading posts?

I don't mind seeing flags. A high flag count will sometimes indicate a worthy thread, but I personally find stars distracting.

I like to discuss, and argue, and really am not interested in stars, neither getting, nor giving. I understand that some love their stars and I have no problem with how others feel but for myself I would be more inclined to judge each reply on its own merit.

This is just a suggestion, not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but I for one would avail myself of this feature if it existed.

You mean it irritates you when you make a comment , and get no stars and someone comes back with a rebuttal to your comment and you see them get a ton of starts and it pisses you off because you realize that more people agree with the other person?

Naaaa youre stuck with them

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
It appears that all of your items that we were discussing are currently in place rather than blocked.

Huh? What do you mean.

I block elements, Icons and the text associated with the Icon, they are not in place.

Not quite sure what you mean there, my blocker prevents the address to the element or icon etc from loading at all, it blocks it before it can even load.

It does not load them and then remove them, it does not load them at all because it cannot be received.

If you unplugged your landline telephone, no call will come through.
edit on 19-10-2017 by MuonToGluon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

We must be discussing two different things. I made a thread asking why one couldn’t see some members stats such as stars, posts..etc. plus there was no user button. I was told it was a volation of T&C to even obfuscate them.

I can see all of those stats for you. That was my comment.
edit on 19-10-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I was only replying to you saying it was against the ATS T&C to block elements (what my original and continued posts were about).

Only way for me to block them on ATS is to hack ATS, that is against the T&C.
edit on 19-10-2017 by MuonToGluon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Then I was correct that we were talking of two different things.

The thread was about turning off stars. Your suggestion of blocking elements sounded like your way to turn off stars. That was why I said it would be against T&Cs.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

The issue of Stars has been discussed often in the past. If they are meaningless to anyone, ignore them.

Answered and closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join