It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Bennett uses openly gay author Oscar Wilde quote at homophobic Values Voter Summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I was watching The Opposition with Jordan Klepper on Comedy Central a little while ago. He briefly touched on Donald Trump's address to the Values Voter Summit.

This gathering is quite outspokenly anti-LGBT. Even handing out a pamphlet entitled “The Health Hazards of Homosexuality.” According to Wikipedia:

In 2010 the Family Research Council, an important sponsor of the Summit, was included on the List of organizations designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as anti-LGBT hate groups. The SPLC argues the Family Research Council is trying "to make the case that the LGBT community is a threat to American society"

Conservative commentator Bill Bennett addressed the crowd as an apologist for Donald Trump's rather less-than-righteous past:

Bennett, the conservative commentator, acknowledged in his remarks that Trump may not always seem like the best match for the devout group. "They say what about the tweets? What about the past? What about some of the profanities and vulgarities?" Bennett wondered.

But, he said, values voters ultimately stand behind Trump not because of what he has done, but because of what they believe he can do for their cause.

"We are conscious of his history. We are conscious of his future. And as Oscar Wilde said, 'Just as every sinner has a future, every saint has a past,' " Bennett said.
emphasis mine

This immediately struck me a very strange person to quote, given that Oscar Wilde was a famous, and openly gay, author from 19th century England who was imprisoned for his sexuality.

Am I missing some subtle nuance here?

-dex

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

All Hail Saint Trump

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Oh goodness... that's like Dr. King quoting Hitler.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I don't think so, unless you consider the virulent ignorance of homophobes indicative of "nuance."

He probably Googled "saint and sinner quotes" and got Wilde.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Perhaps Oscar Wilde was more keenly aware of his own sin than most people? A sinner understands sin better than anyone and is in a position to quote on it from a personal perspective.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

He probably Googled "saint and sinner quotes" and got Wilde.

That occurred to me initially. However, I believe that Bill Bennett is considerably more intelligent than Donald Trump. And the irony of using a quote from a Victorian era persecuted gay man would not be lost on him. Donald Trump and those of his ilk would likely neither know nor care about the relativity of the reference.

It is just bizarre that Bennett would explain away Donald Trump's profanity, vulgarity, misogyny, haughtiness, and greed, among any number of other sins that conservative Christians should hate as much or more than homosexuality. Yet they embrace Trump as some kind of savior. This strikes me as a perfect example of cognitive dissonance.

What concerns me somewhat is that Oscar Wilde was rather viciously persecuted and prosecuted for his sexuality. He spent two years in prison that took such a toll on his health that he died within a few years of being released. With Trump claiming that his vice president wants to hang all the gay people, Bennett's use of Wilde's quote troubles me.

It always fascinates me how a religion that claims to follow the example of Christ is so inundated with hate for their fellow man. And any differences they have with one another melt away as they bond together in that hatred.

-dex

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't believe that Oscar Wilde considered his lifestyle to be a sin. At least that seemed to be the case before he went to prison.

Perhaps the physical and emotional toll of his demeaning and tortuous imprisonment changed his mind. But it doesn't appear that his desire for same-sex partners was diminished.

-dex

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Well, in my mind, if anyone can't accept the basic tenets of the "Sermon on the Mount" it's really difficult for me to see how they can consider themselves any version of "Christian" as that is probably one of the oldest and most reliable versions of Jesus' actual teachings.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
To be loving does not mean to be all permissive and all accepting either.

Ask any parent who has a child whether or not they show their love by allowing their little dears to do whatever they choose to do whenever they desire. Some parents do feel this is how you show love, and their children are horrid little monsters.

Ask any parent who has a child who has fallen into drug use or fallen afoul of the law by way to criminal activity. I'll bet most of those parents don't love their children any less, but I'll bet they aren't championing those behaviors either because that's what their children choose to do and embrace.

Even the sinful woman Jesus forgave, he then turned around and told to *go and sin no more* meaning He recognized that what she had done was wrong that should she continue in her ways, it would still be wrong.
edit on 17-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Nothing motivates Republican voters to participate like the "gay". Well, maybe abortion does.

WEDGE ISSUES RULE!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Although many Christians do fit the bill, comparing the behaviors of adults to that of children is specious. We expect more from adults in society, typically.

Assuming the existence of your God for a moment, who are you to question His creation? Who are you to decide that He didn't intentionally make you one way and me another?

Further, it seems to the that in the parable you're cherry-picking from, Jesus also directed the hypocrites "Let the one who is without sin among you cast the first stone."

As we said above, what harm would there be in more Christians actually emulating Christ?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It amazes me when non-Christians teach the gospels.

I have to wonder if you people also spend your summers teaching fish to swim.

I can listen to the words of any man or woman and find the wisdom (or lack thereof) regardless of their lifestyle.

Is the point of this thread that if you do not agree with a particular group of people (or even an individual) you cannot read/understand/use their words? How much more polarizing would such a concept be?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

I can listen to the words of any man or woman and find the wisdom (or lack thereof) regardless of their lifestyle.

Is the point of this thread that if you do not agree with a particular group of people (or even an individual) you cannot read/understand/use their words? How much more polarizing would such a concept be?

To alleviate the mystery for you ... many who have grown out of Christianity's superstitions were still raised in it with full knowledge of the Bible stories.

The point is that for a group of homophobes like the Values Voters, it's really ironic for a speaker to quote an iconic homosexual.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: 200Plus

To alleviate the mystery for you ... many who have grown out of Christianity's superstitions were still raised in it with full knowledge of the Bible stories.

The point is that for a group of homophobes like the Values Voters, it's really ironic for a speaker to quote an iconic homosexual.

No story here...he just has a wide stance!

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

LOL...

"Any old iron, any old iron, any old, any old iron ... "

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

Am I missing some subtle nuance here?

-dex

Probably not. The Trump crew don't know what nuance is. Trump is on the record for remarking how he likes shallow responses to situations.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Both Bill Bennett and Wilde are catholic.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe you guys (Christians) should clamp down on that spiraling out-of-control divorce and adultery rates. At least those are specifically condemned in the bible whereas homosexuality being a sin needs to be inferred. Yet so much time is spent on the "evil gay" when Christians throughout the world are embracing two relationship situations that are more condemned than homosexuality.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

So do you think that as ex-Christians that once we stop being Christian we forget everything we learned about the Bible and the dogma we were taught? Like it amazes me that Christians can be so arrogant to believe that only THEY understand their religion.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm not a Christian, just to clarify.

Proselytizing Atheists always seem to have "outgrown" Christianity. They claim to have read the Bible, yet make assertions that are simply put - not in the book.

If you do not know what the instruction manual says, how can you claim to know how it functions?

<<   2 >>

join