It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Threads Being Closed Because Other similar Threads Having Been Posted Before.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Been noticing this quite a bit, while some threads which discuss the same topic, yet they point out a much different viewpoint are being allowed while other are not and are immediately closed.

For example.

Return of 'ocean chimney' the size of Tasmania puzzles Antarctic scientists

Even though a lot had changed about the hole in the ice in Antarctica within a week, and btw I wasn't even aware of the other thread, and essentially the article I posted the scientists were trying to claim that "it was caused by Anthropogenic Global Warming", even though the evidence does not support such a claim.

The other thread A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened Up in Antarctica which was started one week ago was delving more into the out of this world "rumors", such as:

The Nazis' Yeti army in Antarctica.

Giant iceberg could change weather patterns.

coverup in antarctica?.

That thread in itself dealt with the most outrageous rumors about what is happening in Antarctica, not to mention that back then the hole was much smaller.

My question is, why are certain threads being closed, when the forums are choke full of similar threads which are allowed to remain when there have been major updates concerning those topics?

BTW, I am not trying to get other threads closed, but trying to understand why this is happening to certain threads when many others discussing the same topic but with changes that have occurred are allowed to remain.

edit on 16-10-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct link.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I agree to a degree but in all honesty it makes it easier for the user to participate in 1 thread and not 7. The trick is getting everyone to congregate in one corner.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

It just makes sense. How many threads in 1 hr do you want on the same topic?

Adding different points and views to the same topic or O. P... just makes sense.
edit on 16-10-2017 by mysterioustranger because: Was sleeping

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Frustrating sometimes I agree..

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

It's subjective.

But I have found that if you U2U the mods, they are pretty good about opening the ones that truly do explore a different track.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Like i said, when major changes occur. We have several threads right now dealing with similar topics, such as "President TRumps politics" "President TRump's reponse to Puerto Rico" etc, etc. In the past when major changes happened we were allowed to post a new topic. Look at the difference between that other thread and the one I started. Two different discussions.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

It's subjective.

But I have found that if you U2U the mods, they are pretty good about opening the ones that truly do explore a different track.

It shouldn't be subjective because then there is a bias. More so when certain members try to close such threads because they don't like the arguments discussed in those threads. I can guarantee you that at least 3 members responding in that thread complained that "it should be closed".

For example. How many threads do we have in the forums talking about "Russian collusion/influencing the elections"? There are several of those.

edit on 16-10-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I was under the impression if the flow or topic of the threads varied enough, then separate threads were permitted, but I do have a small bit of advice going forward, until you get a more official answer.

-Save any thread you publish in a word document or something similar.
-If it gets deleted for any reason, you have it saved and then you can
- PM a mod, and discuss the issue with them, perhaps they would allow it to be reposted, and then you don't have to do all the work of typing it up again.

-Or it doesn't get re-posted, but at least you don't lose all your work if you choose to share it via other channels.

-Alee

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Iregou post on different forum, you can often keep a duplicate thread open.

In regards to your Anarcric hole thread, not only was it posted before yours the author of the first thread posted the link to his to yours. When that happens, the mods will notice.

It is unfortunate because your OP was much more practical and offered scientific reasons while the original one went way off to left field with rumors and crazy theories generally something that is discussed in other forums not Fragile Earth.

While we disagree a lot on here, I can promise you I did not report your thread. Civil disagreements can often be a good thing because we all are wrong sometimes and often someone with a conflicting opinion will make one see things differently.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
It is unfortunate because your OP was much more practical and offered scientific reasons while the original one went way off to left field with rumors and crazy theories ...

That is a really unfortunate outcome.

Wish there was a simple solution to cases like that.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have noticed this myself, and it's frustrating! When there is a new thread, for example, on the Vegas shooting, it could be closed, even though it's about totally new evidence, etc, and the original thread could be a couple of hundred pages long, and far too much for people to read and review. Keeping it all in one thread, in a case like that, makes it almost impossible to properly discuss some of the issues, and when the specific angle of discussion is different, it's easier to find what we need in more detailed, and shorter, threads.

new topics

top topics

join