It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest men/women of the century

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Every on of us looks up to a great person, one who sets th rite goals and gives life a new meaning. i want u guys to list out ur top three greatest pesons who graced the earth in the 19th century.
here is my list-
1) Mahatma Gandhi
2) Nelson Mandela
3) Mother Teresa

i know evey1 will have different views. i hope u respect them, dont criticize them or bash them. Remember they have influenced the world in way or other and enhanced it.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
My picks would be...
John Lennon
Albert Hoffman
Matt Groening

And love him or hate him, he brought computers to homes,
Bill Gates

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Many Many to chose from.

Jonas Salk
Robert Oppenheimer
Ronald Reagan

Because you posted this in the science forum I am assuming that you were refering to men of science or its supporters? The first two in my list need no explanation as they effected the entire planet. Reagan I chose because he embarked on a technoligical build up that while often subject to ridicule set a new course in technology ie lasers etc.

[edit on 2/11/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
only top three?
ok, here it goes:

Martin Luther King Jr.
Ernesto Che Guevara
The Unknown Rebel

With a single act of defiance, a lone Chinese hero revived the world's image of courage

and

Bob Marley (for bringing so much positive energy thru his music to all of us)

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
1)Lenin
2)Mikhail Gorbachev
3)Martin Luther King Jr
4) I have to also add Malcomn X, a truly inspirational man who's life was cut horribly short.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
only top three?
ok, here it goes:

Martin Luther King Jr.
Ernesto Che Guevara
The Unknown Rebel

With a single act of defiance, a lone Chinese hero revived the world's image of courage

and

Bob Marley (for bringing so much positive energy thru his music to all of us)

What ended up happening to him, did he die?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Well Im going to have to agree with Time Magazine for My number one.

1. Albert Einstein
2. Wright Brothers (I will count them as one)
3. Alexander Fleming

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Mahatmi Ghondi
FDR (Except for Social Security Thanks FredT)
Martin Luther King Jr.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Great thread hanks!!

1.Evil knevil,for blatant out and out balls of steel and being a testement to pushing the limits of personal goals and aims to the max!

2.Richard Noble for building the worlds fastest car on a shoestring budget and doing what few people believed possible.

3.Richard Branson for his 'die hard' self belief and continually pushing his products and 'Virgin' empire whatever the costs......a fine example of what can be achieved by anyone who refuses to sit down and be counted!

of course i have the utmost respect for peace loving people everywhere and i want you all to know that some of the people listed above by you all rank in the highest order of my respect and gratitude,its just personally i have been influenced by adventurers and explorers and people who push boundrys and envelopes against massive odds......if more people had this 'lust' for life i think we would see huge changes in the way people in our world treat each other for the better!

Regards

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

The Unknown Rebel

What ended up happening to him, did he die?

nobody really knows what happened to him...

Almost nobody knew his name. Nobody outside his immediate neighborhood had read his words or heard him speak. Nobody knows what happened to him even one hour after his moment in the world's living rooms. But the man who stood before a column of tanks near Tiananmen Square — June 5, 1989 — may have impressed his image on the global memory more vividly, more intimately than even Sun Yat-sen did. Almost certainly he was seen in his moment of self-transcendence by more people than ever laid eyes on Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein and James Joyce combined.

source:
time.100

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
"Because you posted this in the science forum I am assuming that you were refering to men of science or its supporters?"

im sorry for posting in the science forum. im new here and thats why maybe.... but im sowy. this is to clarify that dont name greats only from the field of science but all walks of life.

i put MAHATMA GANDHI because he was the pioneer, the FIRST. He inspired other outstanding men like Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther Jr.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by hanks7772000]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
comeon guys post. name ur greats, it is not that tough is it

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ok mine:

William Wallace and other clansmen including my relatives who tried to gain their independance

Jesus

All explorer's and merchants of the past

And the Venetian people (longest republic ever 1070 years)

[edit on 11-2-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The Pope (Believe it or not hes an amazing figure even with politics put aside)
Martin Luther King Jr.
John F. Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Albert Einstein
Dalai Llama
Hitler

In no given order. I see all men equally in the list.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well here are my picks for the century's greatest people:

Norman Borlaug: He won the Nobel Peace Prise in 1970 and he is the founder of the Green Revolution. It was a program to spur agricultural productivity in India. He was quite succesful, who had also spawned other programs like it througout the world. He is credited for saving a BILLION people.

Gandhi: I am pretty sure you know his story so I will not repeat it. However, I will say that Martin Luther King Jr. and other people like him got their inspiration from this man.

Lazaro Cardenas: For those of you who do not know who he is, he can be on the same calibur as FDR. He was the president of Mexico in the 1930's and served only one term. Also, if I am not mistaken he was the first to nationalize the oil industry, which is known as PEMEX. Because of this move he had allowed the government to set regulations on oil, which before hand private interprises had a monopoly on it. He was a model for other nations to control their own oil as well. Lastly, he retired devoting his life to irrigation projects and providing medical care and education to the nation's poor.

Very cool dudes.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
YES!!! Someone else who knows of Norman Borlaug!!!!!

And you are wrong, he was said to have saved a Billion in 1970, so probably alot more now in 2005.

Anyways, my list?

Norman Borlaug, 1 Billion+ saved and counting
Einstein, E=MC2 made gravity a theory, and allowed America to win a War withou sacrificing a million more American Lives
The number 3 greatest? It is more than one human
Every Fire Fighter and Police Officer, not just in America, not just on 9/11, but every man and woman in blue and red protecting you and me, saving you and me, and helping us in our time of need.

And last, but not least....
Hitler? Well, his advances in technology, his political genius would put Karl Rove to shame, and his charisma was astounding, but great? No...
Jesus? Sorry, think they wanted real people, and this century.....
Also, Ghandi? That guy had sex with little girls, performed colostomy thingys on them and himself, and killed his wife. Not a nice guy.
Why people would put those names down IDK....

BTW, do you watch Showtime? That is where I heard of him, on Bulls*** with Penn and other guy.(The one that doesn't speak) Someone said you can get the seasons on dvd, but no idea where.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by Jestaman]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I am glad that you like Norman Borlaug; however, I have to disagree with you on your hypothesis about Ghandi. We are talking about the same Ghandi who led the independence movement in India right? If so, please provide some evidence that would suggest he slept with little girls. By the way I don't get Showtime so there is no way that I would see that show. If it is true then there must be some kind of website to prove this. If they have a website about how the American government is run by a secret society named the Illuminati then I am pretty sure there is one about Ghandi doing these bad things.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Oh yeah, where did you get that ridiculous theory about Ghandi killing his wife. His wife was Indira Ghandi and from what I know she was the Prime Minister of India long after Ghandi died (I can not spell his last name so I won't even try). In fact, she died in 1984. Therefore, I could not have unless he put poison in her food, which was supposed to kill her off in 30 or more years. I respect your opinion, but like I said before please provide some evidence.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I meant to say "I can not spell his first name" and "he could not have unless..."

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes - we're all just dying to see the evidence of Ghandi's murdering his wife, and the child abuse.

Unless the poster was kidding....

In which case...dude. Not funny.

But carry on. We're waiting

In the meantime, my Top 3 Of The Last Century:

Bill Gates - can't deny the man's influence.

Ghandi - yup, he's on my list too.

HH The Dalai Lama - for innumerable reasons.

(Can I have more than three?
)

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Tinkleflower]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join