It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Pass The World's Shortest IQ Test? *Answers posted after OP*

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
And, in keeping with that...here's an extra credit question (where did the other dollar go?)

3 men go into a hotel. The man behind the desk says a room is $30 so each man pays $10 and goes to the room.

A while later the man behind the desk realized the room was only $25 so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5. On the way the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly between 3 men, so he gave each man a $1 and kept the other $2 for himself.

This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of $27 add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29. Where is the other dollar?

$25 - room
$3 (3x $1) back to the men
$2 Bellboy

= 30$

The originator of the question worded the riddle irrationally to intentionally confuse.

25 + 5 = 30
30 - 2 = 28

The bellboy gave each man 1$ back, which means he gave them 3$ total back, and kept 2$ = so therefore they paid exactly 27$ for the room. Because 30 - 3 = 27.

It's 27 because the bellboy kept 2, so 25 + 2 = 27.

There is no missing dollar. Everything is accounted for.

You do not add the 2$ the bellboy kept to the 27$ room cost (creating an irrational 29$ cost).
The 27$ room cost includes the 2$ the bellboy kept.
The 27$ cost is AFTER the men got their 3$ back (yet were missing 2$).

edit on 10/13/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Again, in solving FlyingClayDisk's irrational riddle, it was purely a task of working out a basic math problem and quantifying each step of it properly.

The key was to identify that the riddle was presented improperly on purpose, thus designed to confuse the recipient.

After working out the problem, it is clear that there was never a missing dollar at all, but instead that the riddle was irrational.

I do not see that as a very good IQ test, though it is a decent one because it utilizes the most simple form of math and requires me to work the entire situation out while also knowing that 1$ cannot disappear from the 30$ total.

Basically the correct answer is to explain why there is no missing $ and why the riddle is flawed.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Ten cents.

5 minutes.

47 days.

Now to check the answers.

Nope, hold the fort here, not right on the first one....that would make the price wrong. Has to be a nickel.
edit on 13-10-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: brain fart

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I got all 3 in just under 30 seconds . . . I consider myself of slightly above average intelligence . . . so not a very good IQ test.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

So would the riddle "Why are manhole covers round?" meet your criteria for an acceptable IQ test question?

-dex

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

nine times three is twenty seven, take away the two dollars the bellboy kept and it is twenty five. I actually read it that way, the trick here is the question that is asked and the missing dollar puzzle is not even a real thing. I actually had to think how someone would get this twisted, sort of like what the news does, to make you think something is wrong.

There is no missing dollar. There is a bellboy that is kind of dishonest though, making his own tip. I would bet that if this was real, the bellboy got away with it.

On top of that, twenty five bucks for a room, that has to be a really old problem. Especially a room for three.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'd sack the bellboy, the thieving little person.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join