It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings had Allah Embroidered on Funeral Clothing.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat burial graves,
The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia.

www.bbc...
Anyone remembered the 13th warrior??. Well it seemed not too far off, BTW coins bearing Allah was circulated in Anglo Saxon Britain as early as the 9th cent.
Pls klik the link, for some more amazing details..

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Vikings got around alright, all the way to the ME, and vice versa like you said.

Islamic fables arent present in Norse culture or religion, by thier basic nature they saw what they liked and took it aesthetically.
I havnt seen any artifacts or writings that saw the Norse practicing Mohammad's teachings though.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...

Fixed your link

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Sorry the link is messed up, the story is on BBC news, someone pls do Spider a solid.. Post the link for me, can't get it right on my IPhone.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Bless u.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

So when they charged at their enemy with axe and shield in hand they would yell out Allahu Akbar!!!!! as their battle cry?

LMFAO

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I havnt seen any artifacts or writings that saw the Norse practicing Mohammad's teachings though.

Me neither. But leave it to the BBC to generate Islamaphobia on every level.

viking muslims

The Horror...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. Both the Vikings and the Muslims got around. That said, it doesn't really look like it influenced their culture in any way. Definitely not the same way Christianity did.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I were these artifacts pillaged from a raid or did they convert to Islam? They'll never know for sure but my bet is that these were pillaged from Spain

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I just see a geometric pattern. I think our "textile archaeologist" is trying to justify her salary....

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
In the most recent season of the series Vikings, they had just made it down to the Mediterranean where the character Floki saw their piety and had a bit of a mid life crisis over how even while being butchered in the temple the subjects just kept doing that kneeling ritual thing they do.

That's some hardcore mind control if you axe me.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

My thoughts exactly. What's the proof the rest of the geometric pattern was like what is seen in the mirror? Another part of fabric with the design, or a feeling?
Seems it is the latter as she reversed and flipped it even to try and make something out of it.

After all, we all know we write words reversed and flipped, everywhere all the time, especially religious ones...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yea I also saw that episode and obviously the vikings had encounters with Muslims and even were mercenarys as far as the byzantine empire.

I'm sure some vikings converted to Islam but they also treated them like Christians which was to pillage and head to the next target.

Interesting stuff and hoping the next season of vikings is good

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

So it's not "Valhalla".

edit on 12-10-2017 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I were these artifacts pillaged from a raid or did they convert to Islam? They'll never know for sure but my bet is that these were pillaged from Spain

Could be, but the Vikings were as good a traders as they were pillagers, BTW Persian DNA is found in small amount in Viking cemeteries.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The odds that two sailing cultures would meet...very high.

When cultures collide there is usually some sort of exchange...trade of goods, trade of language, and of course art. So I think it's very likely that in the exchange that some sort of cool art or design was adapted by the northmen. And there ya go, there's some proof.

I wonder if the moon stones/sun stones were considered top secret back then, or if that was part of the trading...as sailors generally talk about sailing, routes, navigation and such.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Many converted to Christianity so it stands to reason they would have converted to Islam.

During the conquest of England and France it was converting was required before marriage off to a nobel family.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I say 'fake'. That it doesn't actually say that at all.

I've seen what looks like arabic written on in reverse on my clothing labels. Probably the same for you if look at your labels of where it was made and with which material.
edit on CDTThu, 12 Oct 2017 11:13:40 -05000000003111x140x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Not surprised to be honest. gotta remember the silk road from Asia to modern Italy and Turkey was well established, and the Romans (who were well on their way out) had been visiting Northern Europe for even longer.
Trade was a large part of Viking culture, especially to those who are on the visiting end, the Vikings may have never even seen the ME everything may have been brought to them.
edit on 12-10-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

It's nice spinning and nice weaving. Far better than most modern crafters can produce.

www.mynewsdesk.com...

For those who don't know what tablet weaving is, here's how it's done.

edit on 12 10 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join