It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First-Ever 360-Degree Video of a Spacewalk.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station have released the first-ever 360-degree video of a spacewalk.

The video shows cosmonauts Sergey Ryazansky and Fyodor Yurchikhin on their Aug 17 spacewalk as they hand-launch several nanosatellites. The full spacewalk took 7 hours and 29 minutes, making it the longest-ever Russian spacewalk, but the 360-degree video presents 3 minutes and 26 seconds of the walk's highlights.

At the video's 1 minute 12 second mark, the cosmonauts deploy satellite Tanyusha-SWSU 2, which broadcasts greetings in Russian, English, Spanish and Chinese, according to the National Association for Amateur Radio. The nanosatellite and its companion, Tanyusha-SWSU 1, were created by students in the Russian city of Kursk. At the 2 minute 40 second mark, they send the spherical TS530-Zerkalo on its way to measure the density of Earth's atmosphere. This satellite will help scientists predict the motion of objects in low Earth orbit, including the space station. In total, the cosmonauts deployed five satellites that day.

You can find more information on the spacewalk here

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
No stars! Its a green screen, the earth is really flat, and the cake is a lie.

Seriously though, thats some pretty cool stuff. I'd like to see more videos like this. Can't wait to see the 360 HD cams set up on mars some day.. Sure would be fun to stare at some rocks or ancient alien technology XD.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
HELL YEAH! Take that flat earthers!

Uh but what the hell did he throw back at earth! Or better into ORBIT???

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

A satellite I believe. I think the video labeled it as such as well. Cool thread OP.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

A satellite I believe. I think the video labeled it as such as well. Cool thread OP.

WAIT WHAT? He threw a satellite??? LOL ok...

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I dont know what I just saw but the title is a little misleading.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

WAIT WHAT? He threw a satellite??? LOL ok...

I’m not familiar with the deployment techniques for satellites just going off what video labeled it.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illiberation

Please tell me in what way the title is misleading?

Definition of spacewalk by Nasa -

Any time an astronaut gets out of a vehicle while in space, it is called a spacewalk. A spacewalk is also called an EVA. EVA stands for extravehicular activity.

Definition of a 360-degree video -

360-degree videos, also known as immersive videos or spherical videos, are video recordings where a view in every direction is recorded at the same time, shot using an omnidirectional camera or a collection of cameras. During playback the viewer has control of the viewing direction like a panorama.

And it is the first ever 360-degree video of a spacewalk....

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

Oh I got it. Have to use the buttons on the top left to navigate.

Pretty cool!

edit on 10/5/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

If you go full-screen you can zoom in using the wheel of your mouse, also you can click and drag screen :-)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lady_Tuatha
a reply to: Deaf Alien

If you go full-screen you can zoom in using the wheel of your mouse, also you can click and drag screen :-)

Nice! Thank you.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

I dont get why its a big deal when this is pretty much google earth street view on a video.
I dont get why they call it a spacewalk when theres no walking involved, more like space swim.
I dont get why we dont have footage of them doing the cooler stuff like boarding and leaving the ISS.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Illiberation

Am I the only one looking at this in a VR headset?

This is in 3D and 360 degrees.

I'm a happy man right now....

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
(a reply to: shefskitchen

As did I (Playstation VR)

The video is not meant to be viewed on a web browser, it's meant to be viewed through a VR set, hence the reason he cannot understand and thinks it's a street view map quality thing.

Watch it through VR...oh damn I wanna be up there.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

You need to use the controls in the upper left (or use a VR headset) to look around the 360-degree view.

So the title is not misleading -- i.e., it's a spacewalk and it's filmed in 360 degrees.

edit on 6/10/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I realized but it's just not that amazing to me, in fact it looks more ridiculous with this effect. This spacewalk was supposedly done 2 months back so they could technically do this with any spacewalk or video for that matter.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

edit on 1FridayFriday43bAmerica/ChicagoFri, 06 Oct 2017 12:43:43 -0500pm3143 by Illiberation because: double post

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: shefskitchen
a reply to: Illiberation

Am I the only one looking at this in a VR headset?

This is in 3D and 360 degrees.

I'm a happy man right now....

Oh man, I haven't had time to fire this up in the Oculus yet, definitely going to have to do that tonight.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I realized but it's just not that amazing to me, in fact it looks more ridiculous with this effect. This spacewalk was supposedly done 2 months back so they could technically do this with any spacewalk or video for that matter.

Any spacewalk...but only If they had filmed it with a 360-degree camera.

Most cameras only look in one direction. We can only see in the direction the camera was pointing. In this video, you can look one direction, then use the controls in the upper left of the frame to look 180-degrees behind you in the opposite direction anytime you want. That's because the 360-degree video camera filmed (mostly) the entire scene all at one time.

Or, as others have pointed out, if you use VR goggles, you can look all around you.

If this was a normal video taken with a traditional camera you would not be able to look all around the scene in 360 degrees. You would be limited to looking only in the direction that the traditional camera was pointing when the video was made.

For example, in the video below, we can only see what was right in from of the lens of the traditional camera. If we wanted to see what was "behind us" (behind the camera) in this video below, we could not (unless the camera operator decided to pan around). However, with the 360-degree video in the OP, if we choose to look "behind us", or to the left, or to the right, or above -- and at any time we wanted -- we could do that.

edit on 6/10/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
When is that playing at the IMAX

top topics

<<   2 >>

join