It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington AG to sue drug makers for opioid deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Washington AG to sue drug makers for opioid deaths. I am kind of torn on this. As much as I want corporations held accountable and punished for their many evils, I don't know if this can be blamed on them. I blame ALL corporations for making life in America so miserable for millions of people that they would rather be junkies than have to deal with being constantly lied to and defrauded and enslaved.

www.seattletimes.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

When are they going to sue Hershey's for making me fat?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Non paywalled site.

Washington state and the city of Seattle on Thursday joined more than two dozen other government entities across the country suing to hold opioid makers accountable for an addiction crisis that has claimed thousands of lives. The governments hope to recoup costs of responding to drug addiction, including money spent on emergencies, criminal justice and social services.

Unfortunately, this isn't about people, it's about money.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I blame left twix

Right Twix is ok

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I've known people, seriously, who did not know that morphine was just as bad as street heroin.
Educate them that diacetyl morphine (heroin) is just a purer form of morphine, and some of them refused to see the similarity, while so addicted to it they were constantly worried they'd not get a repeat rx.

Funny how the medical profession can obfuscate a thing, while demonising the same thing when they don't profit.

And just to add, there are quite a few other medicines that can be used off label that counter withdrawal and other effects of chronic opiate use. But, it's better to keep people on a leash or.. dead if they don't conform to the norm.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

We'll sue the missus for not feeding you enough salad. You !!!

link   
a reply to: JinMI

Just another futile battle in the war on Drugs.

pfft!

link   

The drug makers certainly should be held accountable. The problem I have though is what is suing them going to do to achieve that really??

First of all I'm sure they made more money from it than they'll have to pay out if they lose in court anyway. They'll just settle and carry on doing what they like.

Second, does that money even go to the families who've suffered???

Third, does it mean they'll change their habits any???

I mean corps do this stuff all the time. Whether it's pushing drugs or causing toxic spills or killing off massive amounts of wild life or whatever. They pay a fine to the Government which is always less than what they made by doing whatever it is they've done and then move on. How does that do anything??? How does it help or reverse the damage done??? It doesn't. It just means some money changes hands and that's it.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I would be on board with this as long as the monetary awards don't go directly to the junkies or their families.

They should go to education and after school programs and stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's profitable.

So are cattle farms.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I would be on board with this as long as the monetary awards don't go directly to the junkies or their families.

They should go to education and after school programs and stuff like that.

Problem is, the health department gives needles and drugs away

They doubled down before the hurricane in FL

Solution meet problem

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh sure that will work

Sue the companies making the product for the actions of the consumers who are clearly misusing the product and breaking the law.

Drive the costs up for manufacturers that will be passed on to the innocent who actually need the product legitimately.

No way could the real solution be to find the real cause and treat the people who are self medicating and rehabilitate them. Sue the companies who have nothing to do with how addicts get drugs. Let the MD's who are not paying attention off the hook.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP

I blame left twix

Right Twix is ok

Everyone knows that R-twix are carcinogenic. Diastereomers twixs have both fattening molecules on the left and cancer molecules on the right and are thus cis-trans isomers. Oxidation of the carbon atom is required to ensure you get a 98.9% pure kit kat.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yeah, it's about money to help compensate the use of emergency services.

Nah, depends where the money is spent in regards to the above statement.

Yeah, drugs is an important issue to me (daughter hooked at 16 to 17). So I pay. Why can't the dealers and makers pay. (Daughter is in hospital today).

If you really asked me personally, after seeing my young lady today. Money isn't enough personally. Eternal damnation to the manufacturers and sellers would suffice.

The over use of emergency services needs to be addressed in drug cases. Someone has to pay. I'm paying tax and medial expenses. The "druggies" have to pay this back somehow. Fancy seeking a 16 old girl to hook up. Sad for families.

So Jinman, unless people have a moral standard for their kids, (I have 7) druggies will get away with their fortunes and their perverse activities. As for engaging young people to take drugs I'm afraid their (druggies) activities are no different to pedophiles.

Flamin leeches is all I can say. Just get them, take all away from them and destroy their lives as they have ours.

Just take their (druggies) money away but put into something useful like medical expenses.

My thoughts, bally

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I never responded but read your heartbreaking ordeal.

Now as it applies to this action, the ends may justify the means. As long as those means aren't financial, people can cheer it on.

I've my doubts based on this article that any compensation settled upon (pun intended) would have plenty of hands in the pot and would not deter the use or prescriptions given out. Legally or not.

In other words, the cycle will continue and the funds wont change it.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Thanks for your understanding words sir. These flotsam need to pay for the debris both emotional and financial. I can't afford a flash motorcar. Seems these scumbags can.

Take my daughter for a ride, swim in the flash pool, take this it will make you feel good. Daughter doesn't have money to support the habit in the end. So. "steal from your parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents even".

Police, ambulance attend. Bi polar activity starts. Threats. Perhaps a dead daughter soon. I'm sure the druggies won't come to the funeral.

Guess what I'm saying is I don't care if these jetsum's personal liberties are infringed upon. Those that do care for that need second thoughts. Tired of paying for the damage incurred by scum. Pay for the damage dirtbags
drug making and selling cowards. Learn a lesson.

cheers,

my regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's going to achieve that they cannot be doing this there will be repercussions for it such as the money hopefully going for reimbursements as it did in Everett, WA was the first to sue in the state:

Mayor Ray Stephanson tells CBS Seattle affiliate KIRO-TV the city will seek reimbursement from Purdue Pharma for tens of millions of dollars the city has spent responding to overdoses and drug-related crimes. “Purdue Pharmaceuticals was knowingly putting OxyContin into the black market in our community,” Stephanson said.

The city also alleges the company did not stop its pills from being diverted to illegal traffickers, who sold them in Everett between 2007 and 2010, when OxyContin was reformulated to prevent abuse.

“Once that drug was not available, those who had gotten addicted turned to heroin and today you can get a bag of heroin on the street for five bucks,” Stephanson said.
Source
The map of heroin overdoses/deaths in these areas are crying shame.
edit on 28-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: for

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. That has to be a very tough ordeal to go through.

Do you think the manufacturers directly distributed their product to her on purpose or was it actually the result of incompetent or criminal doctors and dealers who provide the drugs to addicts?

Yes, rehabilitate the addicts and lock up the dealers and bad doctors, but to place the onus on the least guilty in the chain to pay for the actions of those who are guilty of wrong doing is a bit odd. Seems like false logic.

Every dime confiscated from dealers should go to rehab. Every dime criminal MD's posses should be taken and used for rehab. On that I'd agree, but also the user shares some responsibility.

I pray your daughter is able to recover fully.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I think this is common knowledge, but in case anyone else should benefit, here's a handy tidbit of information.

One in 12 doctors has received money from drug companies marketing prescription opioid medications, according to a study released Wednesday afternoon. Researchers at Boston Medical Center found that from 2013 to 2015, 68,177 doctors received more than $46 million in payments from drug companies pushing powerful painkillers. Researchers believe it is the first study to look at the practice of pharmaceutical companies marketing opioids to physicians.

www.washingtonpost.com... erm=.73400db113c6

They are surely part of the problem. However I doubt you would see them suing the doctors in turn.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I find this odd. Personal responsibility and all that. But I do remember the makers of oxycodone getting into hot water because they knew when they introduced it how addictive it was, but, alas, they forgot to mention it.

Except for the FDA monitoring drugs for safety, and effectiveness, I think overall the Government should stay out of patient/doctor business.

People are suffering now because of the government's interference, and this won't help.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join