It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Shows that Immigrants Don't Steal Jobs from American Citizens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
September 2017 Vol. 103, No. 3 Changes in U.S. Family Finances from 2013 to 2016: Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances
I found this study on a WaPo article, but that was an opinion article so I'm going to post the actual study source as my primary source so I don't have to post this in the Mud Pit. The Federal Reserve posted this study analyzing wages from 2013-2016. The study shows that immigrants don't steal jobs or affect native American citizen wages negatively like is usually claimed by the anti-immigrant camp.

-Between 2013 and 2016, median family income grew 10 percent, and mean family income grew 14 percent (figure 1).
-Families throughout the income distribution experienced gains in average real incomes between 2013 and 2016, reversing the trend from 2010 to 2013, when real incomes fell or remained stagnant for all but the top of the income distribution.
-Families at the top of the income distribution saw larger gains in income between 2013 and 2016 than other families, consistent with widening income inequality.
-Families without a high school diploma and nonwhite and Hispanic families experienced larger proportional gains in incomes than other families between 2013 and 2016, although more-educated families and white non-Hispanic families continue to have higher incomes than other families.

I bolded the most important point from the study that I want to focus on here. Families without a high school diploma. The same class of people that illegals supposedly steal jobs from. As you can see, the conclusion is that proportionally, that class saw more gains than other groups did. Again. These are the people taking construction jobs, farming jobs, landscaping jobs, roofing jobs, etc. If wages are going up for them across the board, then how are illegals cutting into wages for citizens?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Perhaps wages went up a dime instead of 36% to keep up with inflation/cost of living.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If you are arguing that wages went up for non-high school diploma works only to account for inflation then the rest of your argument is that wages for the REST of the economy didn't go up by even that much. Proportionally (as in a percentage) that wage group saw more income gains than any other wage group. So you might want to think about what you are suggesting here. I guess, TECHNICALLY what you said could be true, but then again our economy isn't in a recession so I doubt it.

+29 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Who's against legal immigration?

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Garbage, as usual. I see the results on a daily basis. It's called empirical evidence.

Why do you feel the need to promote obviously vested interest 'studies'?

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
African Americans still have nearly the double the "reported" unemployment rate than all other races in America. Couldn't they use those jobs? I mean they're actually here legally.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Why are Dimocrats so racist in their desire to have illegal immigrants in the US to do low paying jobs?

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Right, wages don't go down with cheap labor, and demand doesn't go up for low-wage workers.

Yeah that seems legit.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I'm so confident in the Federal Reserve's report saying "median family income grew between 2013 and 2016". /sarc

TPTB have found every possible way to manipulate inflation, unemployment, GDP numbers, the list goes on.

ShadowStats - great resource documenting this

Sounds like more liberal crap to justify the exploitation of American productivity and livelihood

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I live in a border state and don’t need to walk outside into a thunderstorm to know it’s raining...

Honestly, do you believe your own posts?
If so, i offer my condolences and a strong rebuke of whoever “educated” you...

-Chris

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Any time an immigrant takes a job here, they take away an opening a citizen can get.

They used to have a law that if you moved to Canada you needed to have money to survive for five years before you were able to work. That way Americans would not move there to take people's jobs. I was thinking about moving there to get away from all the crap going on here in America, but instead I decided to just stay away from the local people who were complaining about all the political stuff and all the LGBT. We got a messed up society and it is moving here too. Maybe I need to move to someplace like Copper Harbor.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

My first instinct is to say a couple of things about the Federal Reserve, but I will refrain.

-

According to the study, families without diplomas, non-whites, and Hispanic families experienced larger proportional gains. From that, you conclude that illegal immigrants are not stealing jobs. I believe you may have skipped a couple of steps that led you to that conclusion. I don't think some people experiencing larger proportional gains and illegal immigrants stealing jobs are mutually exclusive. Why can't both be true?

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'm so confident in the Federal Reserve's report...

yep, huge red flag went up for me when I read Federal Reserve in the OP. They're just known for their honesty and openness

edit on 28-9-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
Why are Dimocrats so racist in their desire to have illegal immigrants in the US to do low paying jobs?

Probably the same reason people from both parties like them here, the labor savings is used to benefit the bottom line. People like their goods and services to be as inexpensive as possible.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just reading the title sets off common sense alarms.

The only people that will wade through the cherry picked data and reach the predetermined conclusion are those seeking to confirm their shoddily crafted social biases.
edit on 28-9-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

When not all Americans can get hired, how many illegals again, then where who do they steal their jobs from?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hopefully you realize that I fall on the left side of things the vast majority of the time, but this is a mathematical impossiblity...

Well unless illegal immigrants being here created more jobs somehow, than they took. Such as border patrol and providing whatever everyday services they require while here. Which is possible...

PERIOD more people = less jobs.

So the fact they are making more than uneducated legals is not a good thing , nor does it mean they are not taking jobs.

In a lot of cases those jobs still require getting done. So whoever would be forced to offer more money until an American agreed to do it.

I don't think most are criminals or bad prior, but the more people in a class of workers. The less those jobs pay.
edit on 28-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
part of all this could be due to the facts that,

1. obama deported 2.4 / 5 million illegals between 2009 and2015.
2. illegal immigration was down during that time period,likely due to the fact that the U.S. economy was down. also during that time many illegals left on their own.

so the jobs they would have took or left, had to be filled by someone. so poor families and individuals income increases due to the fact they got work or a increase in pay as the economy got better and less illegals to cut labor costs.

edit on 28-9-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Who's against legal immigration?

I didn't specify legal immigration and neither did the study.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
If wages are going up for them across the board, then how are illegals cutting into wages for citizens?

Imagine the gains had our borders been secured and our laws enforced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join