It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Wind Turbine Links That Made Me Think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
First the farmer. The huge divisions caused between friends, neighbours and families remind me of the divisions, particularly in Ireland, caused by EU farming subsidies.

howgreenisthis.org...

Next the effects of alkaline concrete on acid peat. An environmental disaster that will grow for centuries, we can only speculate to what extent. Time will tell.

www.shetnews.co.uk...

. . . the main pollutant will be well over 200,000 tonnes of concrete that will make the turbine bases and other installations for the Viking Energy windfarm.

If the Viking Energy windfarm is built, water run-off carrying leachate from the alkali concrete turbine bases can pollute the acid heather, lochs and grassland.

When the windfarm comes to the end of its very short life, or goes bust (whichever is the sooner), the land won't be reinstated.

Turbines, pylons and huts above the ground can be removed, but 200,000 tonnes of alkali concrete in the bases will remain to act as 103 unstoppable alkali cancer centres; each spreading outward on the acid environment of central mainland.

Third, the CO2 issue.

www.windaction.org...

It is broadly accepted that wind turbines do not emit CO2 at the point of generation. However, in common with all types of power station, it is emitted during their construction and, through damage directly inflicted on the construction site, over a much longer period.

Fourth.

carboncounter.wordpress.com...

Can You Make a Wind Turbine Without Fossil Fuels?

And finally, decommissioning.

www.sciencedirect.com...

It has been revealed that the published decommissioning programmes have very dissimilar decommissioning timings and costs per MW installed, motivating further research into the decommissioning programmes.

. . .

This paper has found that the published decommissioning programmes are often optimistic regarding time and cost.

Five links that made me think.

I was heartened by the news that turbine blades can be shredded and burned. I'm always looking for free fuel.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Where's my PETA? All those poor birds being killed! Heads loped off like some kind of jihad!!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

My question.... what form of energy production is currently in use....

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have always wondered about wind defusion, because you are basically changing the climate by converting the wind into rotational energy and you won't have wind in a area you used to.
What effect will that have?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter no real noticeable effect really, but if the next turbine is close enought leewards the windshadow may affect performance.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I worked for a company who made turbines the running joke was that they were waiting to get rich.... waiting for when they get paid thousands to pull them down.

They've been good for fish though. Really good.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Here's one of my favourite ATS threads going a lot further than the bird chopping.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

All animals and insects who have these abilities could be reading and mistaking the anthropogenic electromagnetic fields created by all these massive green energy projects as if it was a realigning of Earth's own magnetic field, more so over the area where earth's magnetic field is weaker.

I was brainlessly drunk when I was commenting on that thread. I'm blushing now.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Nuclear is one. Here I am cutting back the undergrowth on a public footpath behind Berkeley Nuclear Laboratories. I was expecting to be confronted by nuclear police. Instead all I got was idle staff making monkey noises through the hedge. It turned out some of the staff who were supposed to be decommissioning the power station had a skiving spot which I exposed to public view.
Ross Hesketh used to walk along this footpath when he was at risk of being murdered for exposing atoms for peace as a fraud. He revealed that every Magnox reactor was used to produce plutonium for weapons.
www.independent.co.uk...

He is best known as the "whistle-blower" who was sacked from the Central Electricity Generating Board's Berkeley Nuclear Laboratories in 1983 for exposing the links between the United Kingdom civil and military nuclear programmes.

He used to tip waste out of a wheelbarrow down the Dounreay shaft. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I haven't done much about coal or gas. Nuclear seems like more fun.

I have done oil fairly bigtime. Mainly because in 1979 I was shown photographs of the cracks in the Ninian Central.
edit on 24 9 2017 by Kester because: Ninian Central

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Seems to be a common desire. Nuclear, oil, wind. All gloating over the largely public funded decommissioning scams.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Brilliant! Ill havea read thank you

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
These are the "other" factors neither the public nor the utilities want to make known.
It's GREEN ENERGY so we just gotta do it to save the planet and stuff!
(besides my company will make billions off this deal).
There is no free lunch nor is there "green" energy from any devices made by man.
What we need to pay more mind to is limiting population growth and consumption patterns.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

www.shetnews.co.uk...

...alkali concrete in the bases will remain to act as 103 unstoppable alkali cancer centres; each spreading outward on the acid environment of central mainland....

cancer thrives in acidic blood, cancer dies in alkaline blood.

so how exactly is reducing the acid level of the environment going to increase cancer rates?.........
edit on 25-9-2017 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

He means it's a 'cancer' for all the local life that has evolved in that environment over thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   

oh i see,

it is an interesting question though what effect the alkali will have. but without knowing assuming itd be a negative effect is premature.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
well nature loves to fill voids, acid loving species will decline a little but at last the shetlands will have a chance of breeding flamingoes, they love aykaline conditions.

new topics

top topics

join