It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physx accelerator card

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hi to all gamers on the Web!

I am interested in installing and configuring Physx. Earlier, gamers could buy a Physx card (PCI), nowdays people can configure a PC with an additional video card configured as a dedicated Physx card. Is it all possible with a single video card?

Is it true, that only an Intel CPU supports Physx? Does anyone know other special cards for gamers? Or specially gaming PC, does it exist?

I am waiting for replies from those, who configured a gaming platform and it works good.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: spidermastermind please give you pc specs and we can help you. As far as I know physx is on all platfrom assuming your gpu supports it. Though I game Intel I may be wrong. But specs always help though.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Asus Ai PC, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4 GHz, AMD Raedon HD 5700 , 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD SATA, Windows 7 64.

However, I want a better PC preferably with one video card.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: spidermastermind
OS limits on RAM

[Tables not showing the way I want...]

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
Windows 10 Enterprise 4 GB 2TB
Windows 10 Education 4 GB 2TB
Windows 10 Pro 4 GB 2TB
Windows 10 Home 4 GB 128GB

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise 4 GB 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter 2 GB N/A

Get more RAM for your system, or buy a mother board that can handle higher RAM, get your Video Card that you want.
2 GB for 64 bit is like putting a 2-stroke engine into a firebird.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
All Nvidia cards have physics now days
edit on thpmkThu, 14 Sep 2017 17:03:08 -0500pm30America/ChicagoThu, 14 Sep 2017 17:03:08 -050003 by Sakrateri because: (no reason given)

edit on thpmkThu, 14 Sep 2017 19:12:26 -0500pm30America/ChicagoThu, 14 Sep 2017 19:12:26 -050012 by Sakrateri because: No reason

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I rewrote my entire post for you
Physics is the collisions
Physx is NVidia's proprietary physics performed on their graphics cards
All CPUs perform physics
An additional NVidia Physx card offloads the physics from the CPU or Nvidia's graphics cards to that proprietary card .

I have 2 of my systems that run AMD . One is a Ryzen . They both do physics , but not Physx . That I have a NVidia Titan for.
The pressure placed on a video card or CPU running physics is not enough to be concerned with . The highest drain on a system are textures , meshes , and scripts. Lots of memory and a high-class CPU takes care of that issue

But what do I know ?

edit on 9/14/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I hate Nvidia's proprietary crap. Good thing I hardly know any games that actually use PhysX in any meaningful way, since I have been using AMD cards for a while now.

If only I had a reason to by a Ryzen and get my whole system back to AMD again.

As far as PhysX only working with Intel CPUs, that's not true. It will work with either Intel or AMD CPUs. The only thing it's limited to is Nvidia GPUs. If you don't have an Nvidia GPU you can still enable PhysX but it will be calculated by the CPU and generally it puts too much calculations on the CPU and will drop your framerate like crazy. As far as having a dedicated PhysX graphics card, I don't know much about it, but I've heard you still want a decent card for PhysX otherwise it will be too slow and, just like the CPU, will drop your framerate.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I hate Nvidia's proprietary crap. Good thing I hardly know any games that actually use PhysX in any meaningful way, since I have been using AMD cards for a while now.

As far as PhysX only working with Intel CPUs, that's not true. It will work with either Intel or AMD CPUs. The only thing it's limited to is Nvidia GPUs. If you don't have an Nvidia GPU you can still enable PhysX but it will be calculated by the CPU and generally it puts too much calculations on the CPU and will drop your framerate like crazy. As far as having a dedicated PhysX graphics card, I don't know much about it, but I've heard you still want a decent card for PhysX otherwise it will be too slow and, just like the CPU, will drop your framerate.

Actually , I am a long time AMD fan . For the past 12 years all my systems were strictly AMD/ATI now AMD . I switched for the new games to be able to do Physx (physics) on the graphics card rather than the CPU. For a CPU to run the physics does put the CPU under a load.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
In summation:
If you are going to run strictly AMD CPU and video , it would improve performance and add Physx capability to your system
And thanks , you just gave me a great idea
Nuff said...

edit on 9/14/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Get more ram. Atleast 6-8 gig of it and save some money and get a nvidea 1050ti. Then you are set. Though if you can get even more ram than the 8 but if budget is a issue 6-8 will do. a reply to: spidermastermind

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

Actually , I am a long time AMD fan . For the past 12 years all my systems were strictly AMD/ATI now AMD . I switched for the new games to be able to do Physx (physics) on the graphics card rather than the CPU. For a CPU to run the physics does put the CPU under a load.

The only thing stopping an AMD GPU from calculating physics through PhysX is the fact that Nvidia programmed it in a way that if an AMD GPU is detected, it of loads to the CPU. Their GPUs are more than capable if handling physics calculations. That's why I said I hate how Nvidia makes such proprietary software that intentionally gimp their competitor. Any time Nvidia Gameworks, Hairworks, or PhysX is introduced to a game it has a major negative effect on AMD GPUs. AMD on the other hand doesn't use such crude and immature tactics and when a developer partners with them, or they introduce something to the underlying core of a game (TressFX or Mantle for example), it doesn't hurt their competitor any whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Does a Physx card for PCIE exist, or it has to be a PCI card? What I found on Youtube, is that they insert another video card as a dedicated physx card, and the external connectors are not used, the SLI connectors are also not used. If it is correct, will such a video card perform as a Physx card? I can't find information on an actual Physx card for the PCIe.

I put another 512 MB RAM inside, and I have another 512 MB still not in the PC. It will be 3 GB if I disassemble the hardcore powerPC.

Anyway, I like the Intel CPUs, perhaps because my first PC had an Intel CPU at a speed of 25 MHz. I have an unfortunate problem, my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 seems to be illegal, Windows Loader was used (I guess) to activate it. Games have no reduced speed, but the browsing is sometimes awfully slow. Is there an idea how to hack this problem?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

There's no such thing as a PhysX card. You can run a second Nvidia video card as a dedicated PhysX card, and it will be PCIE. It will not work to use an Nvidia card along with an AMD, both cards need to be Nvidia. You don't need an SLI bridge and if I remember correctly the cards don't even need to be from the same generation, but it's been several years since I have used an Nvidia card and looked into having a dedicated PhysX card. I never did it and I don't know all the details on how to set one up.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: spidermastermind

Does a Physx card for PCIE exist, or it has to be a PCI card? What I found on Youtube, is that they insert another video card as a dedicated physx card, and the external connectors are not used, the SLI connectors are also not used. If it is correct, will such a video card perform as a Physx card? I can't find information on an actual Physx card for the PCIe.

I put another 512 MB RAM inside, and I have another 512 MB still not in the PC. It will be 3 GB if I disassemble the hardcore powerPC.

Anyway, I like the Intel CPUs, perhaps because my first PC had an Intel CPU at a speed of 25 MHz. I have an unfortunate problem, my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 seems to be illegal, Windows Loader was used (I guess) to activate it. Games have no reduced speed, but the browsing is sometimes awfully slow. Is there an idea how to hack this problem?

Yes , all Physx accelerator cards are PCI. They are an outdated technology due to the blazing fast speed of CPUs and Graphics cards today. The last manufacturer of these cards Ageia sold out to Nvidia and thus Physx on GPU was born.

I believe that a Tesla card can be a dedicated Physx card . Expensive option though

Installing another video card probably isnt worth it unless perhaps it is free . And it would have to be Nvidia at least a 980 or so . And yes , all you have to do with another card is go into Nvidia control panel and tell it which card to use. No cable required

And there is the new Vulkan technology . Sort of a hardware/software video accelerator . It is present on most AMD or Nvidia cards of recent . Apparently AMD was the first to adopt.

Does the PowerPC have the required memory specs ?
Basically for today's games , you are going to want at least 8gb for most. Although some game companies seem to be lowering their required specs now

Intel does physics . At least most. Depending on the CPU type . I am not sure about Xeons...

Game Physics

I cant help you with the last item.

In summation : one of my systems has an AMD Phenom II , 8gb of RAM , and one sole Nvidia Asus 1060 3gb (cheap card < 200) and I have no issues with running say Fallout 4 on High range.

I hope that answers your questions

edit on 9/15/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa
Nvidia has released Physx as open source for some time now.
Nothing wrong with running physics on an AMD Video Card. Just no NVFlex or one or 2 more items. Neither of these are widespread in games . Only (as far as I know) Fallout 4 uses Nvflex (debris) . And only Dying Light uses the other .

edit on 9/15/17 by Gothmog because: Dang this Razr Black Widow . I will never get used to it

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
SNIP

Is there a list of Physx supported games on the Net? I read in a PC magazine ( PC Guru I guess) that a list should be somewhere, but I didn't get a website address.

Furthermore, is there an effect of Physx support on Flight Simulator? If yes, which one? I mean, if I stress the plane to deliberately cause harm on it, will it require Physx support?
edit on 9/16/2017 by Blaine91555 because: Snipped mention of illegal acts in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use on ATS.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Physx is supported in nearly every game for the last 5 years at least. The list would be too extensive.
Physics are the particles (those awesome magical effects or chunks of rock flying when you shoot them) , collisions , etc.
Physx is Nvidia's proprietary (although they may release the engine to other companies) physics technology.

As I havent played any flight simulators since the 90s , I cant say which ones do. However , FSX does.
As far as stress on an aircraft goes , the best way to determine that , is watch as you do. Plain stress would not be a function of psychics , that would be a function of the CPU and programming . Any visuals and the amount of "wing" distortion may possibly be.

Remember, physics is all about collisions and the visual effects. So a wing being folded back under air pressure (stress) may well be. That would be determined by each game though.

The way I find out ? I check Steam , GOG , and if still in doubt Google it.

Hope that helps.
edit on 9/16/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I downloaded the steam edition, but I currently store it on a micro sd card. It is because I download more games taking up disk space. It's a cool game, very interesting, usually I use the autopilot because I don't have a wheel yet.

Does a NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra (512 MB) have any physics or physx capabilities?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Physx for modern games

Physx for older games

Click the supported tabs on each

Most games today require a video card with at least 3gb of video ram.

edit on 9/17/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I downloaded both, and they will be installed as soon as I get a NVidia card with 512 MB of memory, when I will get deeper into gaming I will definitely buy a high-end card. Currently the only card I will have a try is a 6800 Ultra Extreme with 512 MB video memory. If it works or not, soon will be found out. Anyway, today's games are really interesting to me, I only watch some on Youtube. It is because I am into playing older games (DOS) as well, and they are as facinating as the modern ones.

Anyway, I just won the Need For Speed Most Wanted Demo's quick play in all three tracks. The first one was the hardest! Now I am going to kill Baal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join