It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Privacy and constitutional concerns with iPhone 8/X Face ID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
When Touch ID was introduced, the courts ruled that with probable cause, a suspect could be forced to unlock their iPhone by Touch ID, however, if a passcode were required, they could not be compelled to give that up as it would be considered self incrimination.

Sounds like Face ID could be another situation that needs to be defined legally. Is it self incrimination to compel a suspect to look into the phone's camera in order to unlock it? Or is it more passive like Touch ID?

Waiting for the first case in 3...2...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Also the fact that apple will be google mapping everyone's face and adding it to your personal NSA file.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

We've hit the big leagues, now that biometric data collection is prevalent enough that people will voluntarily buy a device that uses it.

They've figured out how to make people WANT it.

I've got news for you folks, and I'd put a $1k bet on it.... faces, linked to cell phone account holders, and the biometric data derived from those pictures.....

..... will not be something stored solely on your phone.

It'll be the exact same information that Facebook will gather.... wherein Facebook is getting consumers to volunteer additional personal factoids not to mention saying "TAG YOUR FRIENDS IN PHOTOS!!!".

Why am I reminded of kettles, water, and frogs?????

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It seems to be a free for all with corporation data-basing of this info, even the government agencies out source the info-probably ripe for hacking.

originally posted by: bananashooter
Also the fact that apple will be google mapping everyone's face and adding it to your personal NSA file.

On top of what CIA/Facebook already does. Let alone RealID and passports.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Pretty soon they will want our blood, semen, urine and fecal samples, I'll send them a pair or my underwear, baaaduum..tsss. reply to: dreamingawake

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Your face is likely considered part of the "public" domain since you go out in public, and not hide it and anyone can see and photograph it legally. So, in that sense, it will likely fall under the same auspices as a fingerprint which has a precedent in place that it is acceptable to legally force you to open your phone by looking at it.

I had this conversation just today with an iPhone fanatic. When it finally dawned on them that if they were stopped for merely a moving violation, and the officer has probable cause they could make you unlock your phone against your will.

However, with a pin code that you and only you know, and have not publicly revealed, that would be a case of self incrimination and you could legally refuse to comply by exercising your constitutional right.

But then, many Apple Fanatics just want to keep the Apple cart rolling along and are happy to enslave themselves pushing that cart full of money to the bank.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Apparently you can still use touch id anywhere on the screen instead of the old button, which is now gone on the Iphone 8

Face recognition is only an option... one i wouldn't use in any case

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'd assume then, as with similar permission to apps, if you consent they have rights to use that data if they want.

Can see something similar coming to PCs? With Windows 10, disable "Cortana" because it records everything down to keystrokes.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK
Exactly, they've already made people WANT it. Just look at all the people lining up to get the latest one that comes out, every single new release day.

" I'll not be getting that" people say, but they soon realize there's not much choice, landline phones are soon to become obsolete.

This must be facial recognition software installed (just like being tagged in Facebook photos) and of course it won't just be stored in your phone, once activated it will be stored in every security agency on the planet. You walk into a place, like an airport for example and there'll be a reader right there logging you in, tracking your every move. Also those CCTV cans on every street corner. I imagine cars will soon be the same to unlock the ignition. Who needs chips?

Every cop that pulls you over will have a reader on his vest

Ditto for all those DNA samples everyone wants to get done on the ancestry sites.

edit on 13-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
I'd assume then, as with similar permission to apps, if you consent they have rights to use that data if they want.

Nobody ever reads the agreements

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Apparently you can still use touch id anywhere on the screen instead of the old button, which is now gone on the Iphone 8

Face recognition is only an option... one i wouldn't use in any case

All the new features are just 'options' until you accidentally click ok. Most people setting up a new phone don't realize you can skip this step. When I get a new phone I go through all the settings checking I've not activated a default setting, but most don't. Like allowing photos you show your location, so many people are allowing their location to be used in photos they post online,

I was babysitting my granddaughter one day and I said call your mom to see when she's coming, we get " I'm stuck in a meeting", then her kid goes " she's lying, she's getting her nails done downtown" . I ask how she knows, it's because they allow each other and all other contacts to be " found" on some app they activated, I turn that # off, I do not want to be found/ stalked!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Collectively speaking (and not looking at the prime specimens that comprise the user body of ATS), humans are amazingly and pathetically stupid.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

I think (they're) collecting fingerprints with the technology as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In the book 1984 George Orwell wrote:

“Always the eyes watching you and the voice enveloping you. Asleep or awake, working or eating, indoors or out of doors, in the bath or in bed – ne escape. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull.”

FSource

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
"This Is Embarrassing": 2 People Show Up For iPhone 8 Launch in China

Confirming reports that reception for Apple's newly launched iPhone 8 may be "underwhelming" to put it lightly, as the phone provides little if any material improvement over its lower-priced predecessor even as sales for hardcore fans will be cannibalized by the iPhone X, is the following report from Hangzhou, China which shows that all of 2 people were waiting in line for the latest gizmo from Tim Cook.

As Chinese media reports, summarized by David Kersten, "note the barricades for the anticipated queue that had to be put away because only 2 people showed up."

new topics

top topics

join