It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slow walking pace is good predictor of heart-related deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I was reading through a few of my news outlets this evening and stumbled upon this interesting article deriving from a study by A team of researchers at the NIHR Leicester Biomedical Research Centre, UK.

There's a few key points in this article that really struck me, as my wife and I are very quick walkers, and always seem to get stuck behind a few people that are... not so quick.

We also have a new kid at work, he's 18, and I am certain he has somehow become trapped inside a Matrix slow-motion scene. I have never seen a person walk or move as slowly as him, even when urgency is needed. It's actually a bit humorous to watch at times.

Apparently, however, there may be a link between a slow walking pace and cardiovascular deaths, at least in middle-aged people.

A team of researchers at the NIHR Leicester Biomedical Research Centre, UK -- a partnership between Leicester's Hospitals, the University of Leicester and Loughborough University -- has concluded that middle-aged people who report that they are slow walkers could be at higher risk of heart disease compared to the general population.

"Slow walkers were around twice as likely to have a heart-related death compared to brisk walkers. This finding was seen in both men and women and was not explained by related risk factors such as smoking, body mass index, diet or how much television the participants in the sample watched. This suggests habitual walking pace is an independent predictor of heart-related death.

"We also found that self-reported walking pace was strongly linked to an individual's objectively measured exercise tolerance, further suggesting walking pace is a good measure of overall physical fitness. Therefore, self-reported walking pace could be used to identify individuals who have low physical fitness and high mortality risk that would benefit from targeted physical exercise interventions."

link

Unfortunately the link to the actual research journal entry hasn't been updated yet, But if you're interested in looking at it in the future it will be under the title: Thomas Yates et al. Association of walking pace and handgrip strength with all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality: a UK Biobank observational study. European Heart Journal, 2017
edit on Tue Aug 29 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I walk very fast so I guess that means I'll live longer but I get very annoyed at the slow walkers in front of me so that probably nullifies any gain I get from fast walking.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

perhaps your rage will quicken your heart-rate enough to counter the effects of walking slow?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
perhaps your rage will quicken your heart-rate enough to counter the effects of walking slow?

Hopefully. But I can fell my diastolic pressure virtually bursting from my forehead when I get stuck behind these sluggards.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I like to bulldoze slow walkers and throw them dirty looks as I cruise by. I'm sure I will get stabbed one day which will hinder my fast walking abilities and cause me to die young.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I thought this would be appropriate .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

At least it won't be a heart related death, so you wont effect the statistical values of this study poorly

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

It will definitely be a liver related death.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

What if they stab you in the heart? Then it'll be both.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Apparently there is a link between Breathing and Heart Attacks........Incredible I know.....If you Breath, you may have a heart attack.

Same with eating apparently.

Sorry, just another rubbish research done, to justify their funding.....all means squat.

Do you know how many fit fast walking and running people Die everyday from heart attacks?

Zillions......Joggers die, Soccer players die, stair runners die, Iron men die (one did the other day, fit as a fiddle...Heart Attack).

The Fittest people in the World, have died young from heart attacks.....the Unhealthiest people in the World, whom smoked and drank for life, have lived into their 90s, and never got cancer.

It is ALL just the luck of the draw, some are lucky, some are not.

Notice how mice and other mammals that are "Highly Strung" dont have very long lives.......how long does a sea turtle live for again?

Fast walkers= dont have very long.....use up too much energy.....kaput!

edit on 29-8-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I'm moving to downtown Brooklyn. Hipsters don't carry knives only expensive canned beer.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
I'm moving to downtown Brooklyn. Hipsters don't carry knives only expensive canned beer.

You could get hit with a murse.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The fanny pack is also back in style. I could get run over by a single speed bicycle. That would be embarrassing.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
The fanny pack is also back in style. I could get run over by a single speed bicycle. That would be embarrassing.

It would be worse if they spilled their quinoa on you at the same time.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Death by ancient grains.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Or did the scientist who did the study ever consider that the association is the other way?

That people who walk slow have impaired circulation and its an indicator of circulatory problems that could cause a heart attack?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If that's the case then one day Walmart will have no Shoppers left because every time I go into Walmart everybody walks so slow.
I mean I can't even understand how these people get anything done in life with the way they move so slow.
Not to mention the fact that they stopped in the middle of the aisle to check their phone and just stand there and talk to each other right in the middle of the aisle where people need to walk.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
My husband covers ground much faster than I do, but his legs are waaaay longer than mine, hence his stride is bigger.. He swears he is just ambling along, while I have to walk twice as fast a pace just to keep up with those long legs. So I guess if I just keep walking with him, I'll live longer because I have to increase my pace? And he will die before me because his personal pace is slower? I'm confused.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Or did the scientist who did the study ever consider that the association is the other way?

That people who walk slow have impaired circulation and its an indicator of circulatory problems that could cause a heart attack?

Best answer so far.
Would be my educated guess.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
If that's the case then one day Walmart will have no Shoppers left because every time I go into Walmart everybody walks so slow.
I mean I can't even understand how these people get anything done in life with the way they move so slow.
Not to mention the fact that they stopped in the middle of the aisle to check their phone and just stand there and talk to each other right in the middle of the aisle where people need to walk.

Sometimes everyone needs just to "Stop and Smell the Roses" (Charlie Pride) . Folks live way too much in the "fast lane"
I wish I would have heeded that years ago.

<<   2 >>

join