It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump expected to lift ban on military gear to local police forces

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CajunMetal

I can have the best cooking equipment in the world to help me cook, but I would not be classified as a top chef.

This is an important point because they are NOT the military, they're more dangerous because they are trying to ACT like the military. Take into account that police work is one of the best options for returning vets for employment as well...

It was weapons grade pepper spray they used on sitting protesters in Berkeley, too, so let's not pretend like it's just better helmets they're getting.

Anyone remember this guy?
Actually the police are more militarized than the military on what they can get away with

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Blender5L
a reply to: buster2010

Can I be your 1st Deputy?

Sure you can be my 1st Deputy. It will be your job to put psychedelics in the bullets we shoot people with that way we can claim they were on drugs and we had to defend ourselves.

That's more than sneaky, that's brilliantly evil! In a sadistic society, Democracy in it's truest form. Wait, doesn't that already happen?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
At some point, the rest of the people who are not aware of it yet, will realize that Trump's legacy as President has nothing to do with creating clever strategies with dealing with national issues, international wars, and so on. It has to do with one thing, and one thing only. To reverse anything Obama enacted or supported. Whether it makes sense, or not.

In what situations should local police need military vehicles and weapons? Almost never. When they are dressed for a war, not civil unrest, it obviously sends a very wrong message to the very people they are supposed to be protecting.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

While I agree with the principle of not over-arming the police, I also agree with less regulation. So what should we do with the surplus military stuff? This is a way that they recoup costs, if they had to destroy it, that would cost the tax payers even more. Do you sell it to civilians? Is there even a market for that? Do we sell it to middle eastern countries? Where should we dump it at?

It's a complex issue, what's the solution?
edit on 30-8-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

This guy is great. Unfortunately the left is providing a reason for more heavily armed police. When they were spraying non-violent protesters at sit ins, it was a lot easier to say that they were over aggressive. Now they're standing down to terrorist groups like ANTIFA and the Neo Nazi's (in groups much larger than 10). All while being hunted by black lives matter crazies.
edit on 30-8-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Chicago, Detroit, and perhaps Berkeley/Oakland need cop tanks/APCs/MRAPS and assault rifles. Generally, the rest of the country's law enforcement does not. The SWAT should be able to make special requests for specialized gear but under no circumstance should this kind of military equipment become standardized for civilian law enforcement, as it inspires an arms race with criminal cartels leading to increased civilian casualties and unpleasant escalation in terrorizing techniques, torture, kidnapping and other illicit control measures applied by organized crime.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum
a reply to: Kryties

Twice.

That hardly counts as "fixated", in any sense of the word.

You're reaching really low into that bag of nonsense now.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Twice.

Lol, ok.

Question still hangs.... if you are not trying to fight the police, what does it matter to you?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Twice.

Lol, ok.

Question still hangs.... if you are not trying to fight the police, what does it matter to you?

I'd rather not live with the sight of militarized Terminators walking around. Nothing wrong with cops doing their job, but they don't need to dress up like its World War 3 and give people in civilized societies the heaby-jeebies.

I am glad that your wish is to live in that dystopian nightmare, many others of us, however, do not wish to.

edit on 30/8/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Twice.

Lol, ok.

FWIW, i don't try to fight the police. And I cannot stand the idea of them being given these toys. You can see them in recruitment videos, look them up. There are many available on YouTube to see. The videos look more like they are recruiting for Blackwater than a local police force.

If im being real honest, i'd prefer to see less

- completely black uniforms. Its meant to intimidate, with the result being an officer who gets hotter and more pissed off the longer he is standing in the Texas sun. If i ever thought of law enforcement as a career, this alone would kill that desire. I have no idea how they do it. And for what? To look more intimidating? Is that what police are for...to scare you?
- muscle cars. You do not need a Camaro or Challenger to chase down people. In fact, why on Earth would high speed pursuits ever be a thing? How many lives are put in danger when a suspect has to drive 100 mph down Main St? Yes, its their fault for doing it....but any moron can see the cause and effect relationship the pursuing officer is involved in
- "Ghost" graphics. Im sorry, i will not pull over for a police officer who is not clearly marked. If your graphics are merely a flat version of the gloss paint on the car, then you are not clearly marked. WHich makes me wonder....are traffic cops more about public safety or gathering fine revenue? It doesn't take too much thought to realize that a highly visible police force does more to deter crime than one that is hidden and only there to catch people in the act. The former provides for public safety, the latter provides for city coffers. WHich is actually more important?

Im what you would call "a law abiding citizen". I know police. I've employed police in off duty security capacity. Its not that I have something to be concerned about (and even if i did, my concerns here would be no less valid). Its that I don't want my kids and grandkids to live in a society policed by what comes next in this natural progression.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Twice.

Lol, ok.

I'd rather not live with the sight of militarized Terminators walking around. Nothing wrong with cops doing their job, but they don't need to dress up like its World War 3 and give people in civilized societies the heaby-jeebies.

I am glad that your wish is to live in that dystopian nightmare, many others of us, however, do not wish to.

Please stop with the Terminator analogies, it is just plain silly.

I do appreciate your opinion on the topic even though I completely disagree.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I cannot stand the idea of them being given these toys

They are definitely not toys.

look them up

I am very familiar.

completely black uniforms. Its meant to intimidate

What would you prefer them to wear, street clothes. Not to intimidate, but to differentiate.

Is that what police are for...to scare you?

No, they are there to protect and you know this. You think cops put on their uniform/outfit to purposely scare folks??

Going by your post, it does seem you have many personal issues with law enforcement.

Do you agree that police officers have right to protect themselves?

For police, access to military gear helped keep them safer, particularly when they had access to military vehicles, which were found to have the greatest impact on reducing threats against officers.

Tactical equipment helps reduce robberies, assaults and vehicle thefts and lead to increased arrests for drug sales and drug possession.

Superficial concerns will not rise above public safety.

Regardless of your opinion, the new plan takes effect immediately.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join