It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retrocausality and the Self Fulfilling Prophecy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Many dystopian futures portrayed in movies, bocks, and ect have a component of hope to them; that after the dystopian party mankind will finally grow up in some shape or form and live in a utopian future.

Perhaps our fascination with the dystopian future is really a longing for the utopian future that might come afterward.

We may have a hard time reconciling how we can get from the present to a better future without first going through the dysutopian.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=22597666]Gryphon66[/post

Please go on. I have long subscribed to the idea of genetic memory and most likely attached to mitochondrial dna.

I thread would be wonderful and certainly outweigh any attempts I have thought of in the past.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Excellent point. Every "total destruction of the world" scenario is coupled with a version of "a new heaven and a new earth."

It's also been said that there are two great motivating drives or urges pushing humanity ... Eros and Thanatos, the will to life (reproduction) and the will to death (destruction).

We could argue that the dystopian future is the ultimate implication of both drives ... we destroy our world in order to create a new better one.

A tangent of what I was talking about earlier is the oddity of human consciousness ... while most of us celebrate in some way our uniqueness and individuality ... the reality is, in a lot of ways, we are herd animals. All too often we are motivated by the "consensus" of those around us ... resulting in such things as mob violence (which we see on a daily basis.)

I saw a quote from the movie Men in Black brought up in context the other day that's kind of appropriate:

AGENT K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn
a reply to: [post=22597666]Gryphon66[/post

Please go on. I have long subscribed to the idea of genetic memory and most likely attached to mitochondrial dna.

I thread would be wonderful and certainly outweigh any attempts I have thought of in the past.

Such ideas are the only way I can resolve a good deal of what we observe from life forms. While it's reassuring to believe that the Universe itself has same sort of innate, guiding order, I tend to understand the primary or perhaps primal physical forces as a constant cycle of entropy and equilibrium with a "net loss" of energy.

Perhaps, what we call life (genetic forces, memory or perhaps intelligence) is the Universe's way of "adding energy back in" to the net equations ... or maybe (more likely) everything we're talking about now is utterly primitive and backwards and we'll have a totally different understanding in a hundred or a thousand years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join