It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone help me with a portable air conditioner question?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The questions have been answered. All Air Conditioning units drain
Louisiana is in the South . The dehumidifier is absolutely needed . For coolness
That way , nothing starts to grow on the walls and the sheet rock from the ceiling doesnt fall in your food
Run the drain hose out the window . Or , if possible , an existing drain . Never in the vents.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If you are looking for a portable unit get a two vent one. The hot air that blows outside puts the room at a negative pressure and is replaced buy the air you are trying to cool.The two vent takes outside air to cool the condenser. Get one with a overflow tank. They boil off most the water but best to be safe. Problem with portable units is you can only get about 12000 btu units with 115v power and you might need more for a trailer. I would recommend a duckless split system. They hang on the wall and are piped outside. Much quieter then the portable and is drained outside. The ones I have installed are heat pumps so when its cold you can heat too.
edit on 22-8-2017 by d8track because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

This might be answered already, but what you want to do is a get a length of tubing, which you can by at most hardware stores or Home Depot/Lowes by the foot, that's long enough to go from the portable unit to the window. At the window, there should be some sort of plastic piece onto which the vent hose connects. Drill a hole in that and push your hose through it and out you can drain it outside that way.

The biggest problem will be if the nozzle on the back of the unit is located lower than the window sill as the water is just dripping out the nozzle, it's not under pressure. In that case you'll have to raise it off the floor some. I did for my wife's aunt. It was an okay unit. It's neat that the whole unit is inside the house but I think you can get better bang for your buck with a window unit.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have a dual-hose unit
They use the waste heat from the AC action to evaporate the condensate off of the condensing unit.
More efficient, and it was only hot and humid enough one week this year that I had to manually drain it.

Paid under 400 for a 12k btu one. Yosomito or some such- known in the field.

Not the best option out there, but it's cheap and works.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Ooo thanks for the tip projectvxn!

We tried an LG portable this summer and it was complete and utter crap. Lasted seven whole days before quitting!

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have one. has the overflow. I've never had to hook up a pipe or otherwise drain it.

a Hisense.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd
a reply to: projectvxn

Ooo thanks for the tip projectvxn!

We tried an LG portable this summer and it was complete and utter crap. Lasted seven whole days before quitting!

I've had mine since last summer. Never had an issue with it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join