It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone help me with a portable air conditioner question?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
im moving into a trailer in a couple weeks and it does not have a/c

i want to get a portable unit....not the kind that goes in the window. this kind just vents out the window.

i know nothing about it though and there are numerous kinds.

the lady in the office above me at work has one but it drains into a bucket.
i dont want that kind.

i have an old one in my office and it does not drain at all. thats the kind i want
i cant find any make or model numbers on it so i dont know the exact kind.

can anyone point me to that type of unit?

thank you

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
something like this

www.homedepot.com...

it says it has a drain hose included but not a connection.

basically i need the type that i do not need to drain

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

there is no such thing as air conditioning that doesn't drain. It's function is to remove the moist air.

www.gacservices.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

My friend has a family living in her garage apartment (small). They had three of those units. They are terribly inefficient. We recently purchase some nearly new regular window units at an estate sale that do a decent job.

If nothing else, carefully check the BTU ratings and matching them against the inter size of interior.

I have, by choice, four room-sized units in my house and I can carefully control the rooms individually. I call it zone cooling. Being single I don't need or want to heat and cool the whole damned house just for myself and a couple of cats.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Go to your Home Depot or Lowes and ask an employee which units they have that fit your needs. In all likelihood, you will end up with a unit that does not normally need to drain, but still has the reservoir inside it to catch the overflow when the unit is working really hard which may occasionally need to be emptied.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have done exactly this with a caravan (trailer) Here in Australia.

Here are some learnings for you:

1) Your idea will work fine. My caravan has a window in the door that slides up and down in order to allow fresh air in. I removed the fly screen and fitted plywood and built the vent into that.

2) The cooling power is crucial (measured in kw here in Australia) I have a 2 kw portable in a 16 foot caravan. On a hot day with the caravan in the sun it does not keep up at all. At night it will provide a little relief though.

3) I've had several of these air conditioners over the years, renting means they can be put into bedrooms and taken away without upsetting the landlord. I have a 3kw that is much better than my caravan version. It also features a system where you can put water into it on hot days and it uses said water to cool the compressor. (It also never needs draining as it uses the water it collects in the same way)
edit on 22-8-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
New window units do not drain, typically. they have figured out that if they route the condenser line through a trough, or depression in the bottom of the unit it utilizes the condensed water to help condense, or cool the refrigerant while also evaporating the water extracted by the evaporation coils.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

Go to your Home Depot or Lowes and ask an employee which units they have that fit your needs. In all likelihood, you will end up with a unit that does not normally need to drain, but still has the reservoir inside it to catch the overflow when the unit is working really hard which may occasionally need to be emptied.

The humidity where you live will determine if the unit needs or has a drain or not. Small window units these days do not have a drain as they pickup the moisture from the bottom of the unit and put it back into the room. I know that my friend's interior portable A/Cs would fill the bucket and overflow if not drained but this is in central Texas.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
something like this

www.homedepot.com...

it says it has a drain hose included but not a connection.

basically i need the type that i do not need to drain

Will cool a small bedroom if it works, but we just sent that model back as they shipped it to us with one of the hoses broken and the fan made an awful noise probably also broken.

-Alee

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have central air, but when my unit went out, I grabbed a couple of window units to cool the place off until I could afford to replace it. Since there is only two people in the house, it worked fine, because we just cooled the rooms that we were using.

That worked so great I didn't even bother about replacing the unit, until it was too hot for the units to keep up. Even now with the central unit replaced, there are days when it is near triplet digits and the central air is running almost nonstop, and I don't keep it ridiculously cold in my house.

It will depend on where you live as to how much relief the portable unit will give you. Where I am in South Florida right now, it wouldn't give you very much.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
No experience with portables, but I am reading that the ones vith 2 vent hoses are a superior design.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I was going to say what Aliensun said; if you live in a place like South Louisiana, you will have lots of condensation to deal with. Air conditioners cool hot air. If that hot air has a lot of moisture, the moisture will precipitate out. You'll have condensate to deal with.

I you live in the desert in Arizona or the mountains of Wyoming, not so much.

I'd advise you to go a place like Lowe's or Menard's or Home Depot or whatever you have there and find somebody who's knowledgeable. That means you may have to shop around for people before you shop around for a unit. (And respect the folks who help you. If somebody knows their stuff and gives really useful advice and they stand to get a commission off of your purchase, spend a little extra and help them out, or at least put in a good word for them with the manager.)

You final choice will depend on your own regional climate and your new home's insulative potential and size. May be that you'll want to cool just a couple of rooms if you have several. With those portable units, you might even be able to move them around, say bedroom at night, living area in the day time.

We lived in a big old house in the country here in SE Louisiana for about three years without A/C. The heat wasn't the problem, it was the humidity. And in an old, old house in Louisiana, a humid house ends up being a moldy house. Got me sick and we had to move. Was a shame, too, 'cause we were in a 2,000+ sq. ft., two story house in middle of the woods and didn't have to pay any rent.
edit on 2017 8 22 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You have 3 choices:

- spend a little more to buy one that has a hose to spray the water out through the vent. Its sprays a super fine mist that evaporates in mid air. I had one of these and it was ok
- stretch the hose out the window. If its not real far, or upwards, it should pump out the window fine
- use a sump pump and set it in the bucket to pump water once it reaches a certain level

I had one run 24x7 in my basement prior to moving to central texas. We slept in the basement since it was dark and quiet (wife worked nights), and needed the constant dehumidification of the AC unit. Unless there is tech im not aware of, those are your choices.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The ones which drain to a removable pan also come with a hose that you can have drain out a window or cutout.

They all have to drain however, at least all of the ones I have seen.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

You have 3 choices:

- spend a little more to buy one that has a hose to spray the water out through the vent. Its sprays a super fine mist that evaporates in mid air. I had one of these and it was ok ...

You do that in South Louisiana, you will be taken over by an army of walking, breathing, sentient fungus monsters. They will devour your home, then start to eat you.

Actually, they will probably start to eat you first.
edit on 2017 8 22 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Possibly...but it is an option nonetheless.

I don't use swamp coolers for the same reason. Im allergic to whatever grows in the pads, and end up in a really, really bad way.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: incoserv

Possibly...but it is an option nonetheless.

I don't use swamp coolers for the same reason. Im allergic to whatever grows in the pads, and end up in a really, really bad way.

I was battling with it before the floods hit here last year and didn't realize what it was. During the August rains, it hit me particularly bad and we realized what it was. Once it gets in me, I have found that the only way to get shut of it is to get out of the state for a couple of weeks, to a dry climate. If I can do that, within four days of leaving, I'm so much better.

If I weren't moving for work, I'd probably be looking to leave the region anyway. It was killing me. Probably still is.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Lg ac units self evaporate. 10,000 btu or up. Move to the room you want to use it in for greatest noticeable effect. I use mine in bedroom mainly

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I do ac work, I can for sure help. Few questions -

*what is your budget?
*what is the average summer highs where you live?
*what is the square footage or length of the trailer?
*what is the average humidity in summer where you live?

As stated previously, ALL ac units dehumidify, regardless of size. Stay away from units that use the compressor discharge line to evaporate the water in the unit, they are horrible about developing refrigerant leaks.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Midea portable AC is really good.

Model number: MPPD-12CRN1-PH9

Mine is a 12k BTU system and you can find them for under 300.

I bought both of mine from the PX, so if you have access to a military base that may be an option.

If not, hit up Slick Deals and see what's out there. Window mounted units are typically cheaper, but a nice fan and this AC and you'll be good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join