It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any climbers/mountaineers in here?? newbie advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
As title,

Anyone here with climbing or mountaineering experience?.

As novice to this type of thing (currently living in London) I would like to get into a bit of climbing or more to the point mountaineering, I recently went up Snowden in wales and really enjoyed it, I am a very strong walker thanks to my dad dragging me around as a child at what would be considered a good tab pace for the army and this has stuck for my whole adult life..

I am currently in the shape of my life having lost 3 stone and totally changed my diet the last 3 years I also cycle about 8000 miles a year so my fitness is decent and actually getting up Snowden and back in 3 1/2 hours I have been told is a very good pace for a rank beginner that had only ever walked up a set of stairs previous.

So what is the best way to gain the skills and experience needed to crack on with a few higher peaks.. My thinking is that any mountaineer would have a good understanding of rock climbing technique and I actually have a climbing centre near me that I can do a induction class with, then what?, a winter training course to get use to crampon and Ice Axe techniques? probably in Scotland I could do this. I have a free week in December and think a cheap flight with my tent and kit could make use of the range out on the Spanish Island of Majorca to build fitness..

Obviously I have zero people I could ask locally as most are sad twats addicted to the Pub and my one army mate has just gone to live in New Zealand who was a fairly well versed hill walker..

Any advice on what training steps would be ideal to get a good grasp of what I am doing would be great..

RA

edit on 13-8-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I'm not a climber so this advice is based on my experience as a runner.

It's good to get involved with local community-based climbers who always cater to beginners and all levels. You'll find yourself amongst people who travel to compete as well as hobbyists. The main thing is they'll have all the advice you can stand and make it as enjoyable as possible.

A quick search shows that London Climbing Guide is a good place to start. Some friendly groups in the London area. No need to reinvent the wheel when people with experience are ready and waiting to guide you.

The people you meet through these groups will usually be an antidote to what ails you. They're always upbeat and lead by example as well as transferring their enthusiasm for the activity to you. They'll save you money and give you the best chances of avoiding injuries or going Icarus* too soon. There's camaraderie and weekly meet-ups.

* going to Spain sounds like going Icarus. Take your time instead of singing those wings.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

* going to Spain sounds like going Icarus. Take your time instead of singing those wings.

Tar for the info,

Spain I was referencing the Hiking or hill walking rather than serious climbing, I need to get miles in my legs carrying weight and getting up hills for hundreds of metres at a time.. Thinking of hiking up Puig Major in the Soller range, I have cycled the road up a number of times and always see hikers heading up in the morning.. The good thing about December is that the weather is still great to camp there so looking at two days hike to the summit one down etc, flights are under £120 last time I checked with Easyjet.. I head to Majorca yearly for cycling so know the Island well..

RA

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Yeah, the 'miles in legs' is crucial if you're hoping to make this a serious occupation. I'm saying that as someone who has repeatedly gotten carried away and caused injuries that set me back. Man, you get the bug and ambition overtakes everything else

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

On a side note, your multiple use of the name Snowden in OP probably has you on an NSA watch list now.

More seriously though, I am not a mountaineer by any stretch. But I've always been a hiker and the last couple of years have used it as a mode of exercise as well as relaxation. I loathe gyms and running and find hiking the most rewarding exercise I've ever been involved with. Best of luck in your quest.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am a walker, not a climber (and perhaps you underestimate the pleasure of developing the walking side).
It seems to me, though, that you ought to consider summer climbing first, instead of leaping straight from induction class to winter climbing.
The Lake Distict offers all sorts, which probably makes it a good training ground.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'd tackle the skills needed climb, then switch to ice, after mastering normal climbing.

There is a ton of gear to buy for climbing, even more for ice.

I would take some rigging classes, do some rapelling and work rope.

Ice climbing is a whole new ballgame, the wrong density, and you die.

It's a good idea to get in with some safe climbers who set up the rope right in when you fall.

Not a big climber, but I have done a ton of rapelling and bouldering/hiking.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Hi. I know about hiking/mountaineering. Just last week did a 1500-foot elevation gain in a mile and a half.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Start walking in your neighborhood, take all the hills you can. Get mileage on your legs, and some 'scrambling' type of stuff (climbing up huge boulders etc). After it's relatively effortless, add weight to your back. Wear wool socks and really good Vibram-souled hiking boots. Practice breathing in time with walking. In out in out every interval that is comfortable, whether one step or four steps.

Also, put the tip of your pinkie to the tip of your thumb while hiking...this helps regulate.

The first half-mile is the hardest. I climbed up the Flatirons #1 trail last week.....

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
My advice?

Don't fall.

Mountains are pretty, though. Some may be homes to "legendary" weird beings, so it doesn't hurt to follow local customs juuuust in case there's something to the legends. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Basically before you start assume the worst, have enough to get you and your group through at least a night, plan for the worst and hope for the best and let people know what routes that roughly you are doing as if you dont ring in the S&R people have a rough idea where you are supposed to be and thus can move outwards.

Basic 101 these days would be turn OFF the phone so as to preserve the battery and they can use that to track you back to vocal areas when you do turn it on.

Bring food and water as you will burn through a lot of it.

Don't assume your phone will last, i'm a guy trained in the 1980's where you had a written plan and if you didn't turn up by X they'd start to get worried and we were 11-16 year old scouts.

but having also done rescue training theres a point to having something easy to spot so anyone can see you.

Take tools, axes and knives and whatever to light the fire.

Don't forget the bog roll as well

also watch the weather as if its going to go tits up you might as well get yourself sorted.

GET A OS PAPER MAP of the area and we should mention the facts of map north versus real north when doing things

Theres so much that info to pass on that it would become a sort of mega list.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm somewhat of a climber, haven't placed any trad gear but have led a couple 5.9's 5.10's.

As far as climbing goes the gym is a good place to start. You want to get real comfortable with your belaying device and tying in to the rope and all the safety precautions.

The more you climb the bigger the holds get. There is so much technique to climbing, i used to think it was all strength, but the more you stay close to the wall, use your feet, and balance, the less tired your arms will get.

Climb as often as possible. It is hard to maintain the forearm strength you need if you only climb once a week. Go to the gym as much as you can.

If you have no experience and all the sad twats (i thought that was hilarious) you know don't want to climb I highly suggest taking the introduction class. There is nothing more important than learning how to properly use your gear.

As far as backpacking goes, start short, make sure you have a group to go with. I go camping in the backcountry at climbing spots almost every weekend. Sometimes we will hike in about 3 miles to get to the zone. I say start short because if your just starting out you will always forget something. You don't want to be stuck 15 miles in the backcountry without a lighter, or access to water, or completely lost directionally. Also it costs some money to get really good light backpacking gear, over time you will learn what you need to bring and what you don't need so you can make your pack as light as possible.

You should have some kind of backpacking class/trip you could sign up for with guides/teachers to help for your first couple times.

That being said the most important thing is to learn how to use your climbing gear. It's kinda scary to me how anyone can go out, buy all the gear you need and start climbing with no knowledge of how to use it. Just recently a kid fell off a hundred foot cliff because he untied and had a miscommunication.

As long as your safe you can go the best places on earth!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Heard a guy speaking of Mt.Everest, "getting to the top is optional, getting back down is not"

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   
If haven't ice climbed in years ....because now I live in Florida....but I do have some advice, you can take it or leave it....
1. Take several classes....or hire local climbing guides to teach you ,...ask questions and learn as much as you can on technique, gear, Safety, local,routes....the private one on one class's are best.
2. Eventually You will meet a lot of other climbers who will offer you to join them or to take you climbing ....always know who you are climbing with and their ability and safety practice. I say this because not all climbers climb the same ...and some are UN safe ...( I'm not talking about a certified guide , I'm talking about the climbing community you will come in contact with and make friends with )...I always climbed with some of my friends who were local guides and very safety first .....one day I made the mistake of climbing with someone else who turned out to be slightly reckless ,and climbed in a manor that could have ended badly. Poor choices.....know your climbing partner !!
3. I always chose to climb with an ax with a leash on my wrist ....a lot of others went to the leash-less style....but I witnessed people accidently dropping or having the ax slip from their hands ( accidents happen ) and the ax fell ...wayyyyy down... And if you don't carry an extra...your in a tough spot. ...I personally like the leash.
4... And that brings me too....a lot of your gear will be personal choice....what works best for you...try to rent, use, or borrow many different types of gear to find what brand works best for you...everyone is different.
5. Crampons : again everyone is different in what they like....I personally like the fact that my crampons have movable prongs on the toe area. I can angle then inward, or outward ....to follow my natural gate ( toe in ...toe out as you walk ) ... Which helps when you are kicking into the ice.....and I can remove a prong if I want to have a single toe prong, or dual. ..I prefer dual.
6.Have a guide show you certain " hanging " techniques with your body so you don't fatigue your muscles quickly . Hanging with Straight arms relieves your arm muscles and causes less fatigue.
7. And if your in the gym working out ... There are certain hand and wrist excersises you can do in the gym or in your home to strengthen your wrists and forearms .
8. always check the Avalanche advisory for the area , and the weather before climbing and be prepared for the weather to turn....make a check list of everything you should have and check it off before you climb...always wear your Avalanche beacon when climbing mountains, and if there is a place to register or sign sign in at a base hut, make sure you sign in ....or.......always tell someone where your going and when you we will be back. They will need to alert authorities if you don't make it back. ...you never know ....( and yes I was caught in the off shoot - side of anvalace on a day when it was a low threat .....it sucked and it hurt ...luckily I had friends aware we were not back from our climb.)
9. Slim jams and power bars were my friends for a quick snack climbing...and water with electrolytes...you need food that won't freeze too much, and are easily to open with your gloves.
10. Always bring an extra pair of gloves...or two...your hands will sweat making the gloves wet...and you will need to change them out at some point....or your hands will be very cold and non workable to climb....There's lots to learn, many techniques , and a lot of good gear...learn from the best if you can.

Have fun...but be safe...safety first .

edit on 14-8-2017 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well guys thanks for the info,

Amazing how things drop into place, I have just been informed that the location I have a property in within the Philippines has a world class rock climbing spot about 1 hour away, I had no idea!!!.. That could very well make the family holidays far more interesting.

I will update this post if I need anything else, really looking forward to a new challenge and I am just about old enough to not go off half cocked with planning and training so start small and see where I go, even the misses has said she would be interested so that is a bonus..

RA

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Good man

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Also - for ice/glacier hikes: if you find yourself falling on a glacier's slope, roll over onto your belly and dig in your toes. There are cletes you can get to put on your boot-toes as well. use your elbows and toes to slow down.....
We had to learn that at the class I took - also learned climbing and rapelling. Best class I ever ever took. I was 16.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Take things easy and learn the area, just turn up in your car and look at it so you know what you'll be expecting next weekend for example, google is also good to learn the weather patterns, i've gone from clear blue sky to pea souper fog in an hour or so and at that point you will need to work with the weather for safety.

Sometimes in bad weather its best to just sit tight and let it blow over assuming you have the gear to be able to handle it and other times its better to power through it.

Hypothermia and sores on the feet can be the main problem as well as quite often if you have got water laden shoes and socks your feet will expand and thus making it very hard to pop a dry set of socks on.

Bring a few knives that are sharp and also give your boots a bit of a wear in as theres nowt worse than a dull knife and sore foot.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Freaking 'epicenter' of the Great American Eclipse today. My main posse and I. It was fantastic.
We were in the middle of a cornfield that stretched across the horizon ----

it was epic

top topics

join