It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google employee behind gender email fired

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Recently, a Google employee sent a company-wide email containing his thoughts on the issue of gender and Google's apparent thought-policing that forbids anyone from having unapproved opinions or views. In the email, he alleged that the reason there are less women in the tech industry was due to psychological differences rather than some kind of nationwide misogynistic program to actively prevent women from working... Kindof like how most auto mechanics or carpenters are men, as most women aren't interested in those jobs.
Of course, Google would have none of this logic, and fired him for “perpetuating gender stereotypes”.

“I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don’t endorse using stereotypes,” the memo’s first sentence reads, as a disclaimer.

Sundar Pichai, Google’s CEO, sent a note to Google employees Monday which said that some parts of Damore’s memo “violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace,”

Ironically, the chairman of Alphabet Inc. has this to say on the issue:

“The company was founded under the principles of freedom of expression, diversity, inclusiveness and science-based thinking,”

Source
edit on 8/8/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Criticising your employers is usually done discreetly and with trustworthy colleagues. Blaring it out at full volume through the works email system is always gonna end badly. Having it amplified across social media turned it into professional suicide.

Social media is a loaded gun with millions of idiots having access to the trigger.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I guess inclusion only includes those who you agree with. Sadly I saw this coming. Even CNN has the balls to keep around employees who spoke against their agenda.
edit on 8/8/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Of course, Google would have none of this logic, and fired him for “perpetuating gender stereotypes”.

Blah blah, by sending a 'company wide email' he hung a placard in the break room so to speak. Only Admin can do that.

At work there is no such thing as an individual, freedom of expression or unionization, those are no-nos.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
He knew what was going to happen and chose to go out in style. It happens alot it just happened to be Google.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
That's not a legit cause of action for termination and will likely result in Google having to pay hefty fines. I don't think California is a right to work state, either.

Ehh yeah. Sorry Google, You're going to take this one in the tail pipe and then some.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

In the email, he alleged that the reason there are less women in the tech industry was due to psychological differences rather than some kind of nationwide misogynistic program to actively prevent women from working

No, that is a dumb reason and some lazy reasoning at that. I read that email and I already stated that I'm unmoved and uninterested in his closeted ideals, it's the conservatives talking points memo of women in the workplace. Pass. And he started contradicting himself. Sleeping on this memo like Z.

Should he have lost his job? Nah, firing the guy proves his point, a valid point to. If you have an opinion that is different from others, especially today, you can actually lose your job. Crappy.

I wonder what his job position was.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie

In the email, he alleged that the reason there are less women in the tech industry was due to psychological differences rather than some kind of nationwide misogynistic program to actively prevent women from working

No, that is a dumb reason and some lazy reasoning at that. I read that email and I already stated that I'm unmoved and uninterested in his closeted ideals, it's the conservatives talking points memo of women in the workplace. Pass. And he started contradicting himself. Sleeping on this memo like Z.

Should he have lost his job? Nah, firing the guy proves his point, a valid point to. If you have an opinion that is different from others, especially today, you can actually lose your job. Crappy.

I wonder what his job position was.

So the majority of young women wish to work in the tech sector and not design clothes or be nurses, teachers or veterinarians, for instance?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The guy spoke the truth.

There are some jobs that women are not suited to, same as men are not suited to some jobs. It has nothing to do with intelligence or capability, and all to do with interest and desire to do certain types of jobs.

Still, pretty dumb move to criticise an employer in that way.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Still not rational grounds to be fired. I hope he sues for wrongful termination, he's got a damn good case.
edit on 8-8-2017 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
That's not a legit cause of action for termination and will likely result in Google having to pay hefty fines. I don't think California is a right to work state, either.

Every state in the country except Montana is an at-will employment state. They could easily say they fired him for violating their company policies or for no reason at all.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

The guy does speak the truth and I'll always value merits of the individual that doesn't depend on gender or race.

But sending out a company email is never smart. Keep your opinions to yourself and go to work.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
The guy spoke the truth.

There are some jobs that women are not suited to, same as men are not suited to some jobs. It has nothing to do with intelligence or capability, and all to do with interest and desire to do certain types of jobs.

What are some of these jobs that women aren't suited to, and conversely, what are the ones that men aren't suited to?

Provide some examples so that we can understand your claim better, would you?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What are some of these jobs that women aren't suited to...

Math and that science-y stuff.

...and conversely, what are the ones that men aren't suited to?

Sandwich making.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What are some of these jobs that women aren't suited to...

Math and that science-y stuff.

...and conversely, what are the ones that men aren't suited to?

Sandwich making.

One of the top mathematicians in the world is a female professor at Emory University.

And ... I don't like to brag, but I make a pretty mean BLT. Wait, does sexual orientation also count as a "biological factor?"

(PS, I got it.
)
edit on 8-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Gigalo

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Gigalo

But I saw this movie once that ... er ... uh ...

Nevermind.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
The guy spoke the truth.

It's not that they're not suited, it's just a lack of interest. There's no reason men can't be teachers or nurses; it's just that relatively few want to.

Similarly, there's no reason woman can't be techies; it's just that relatively few want to.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Do I smell a lawsuite with hefty bill coming down the road?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Yes, like it or not, women and men are different. They tend to have different strengths and weaknesses and tend to pursue different jobs in different areas that play to those strengths and weaknesses.

I work in electronic publishing.

I'm in editorial. Guess how many men are in my area of the company.

Meanwhile, guess how many women are in the IT and programming side of things.

The company is pretty progressive. It is advised you keep your head down on your personal opinions if they are not with the general flow of PC, and they'd LOVE to hire a diverse workforce and have it, but that doesn't change that you find more women actually working with the language and less in the hard technical areas.

Women can do those things, but fewer choose to go into those fields. Just like men can work with language, but fewer choose to go into those fields. Just like men can work in elementary education and child care, but fewer choose to go into those fields. Why is there not a huge wailing and gnashing of teeth over the astonishing dearth of men in those fields? Isn't that evidence of astounding misandry?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join