It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orrin warns Trump to not touch ACA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Under ACA, insurance companies provide insurance to tens of millions of poor people who can't afford insurance, and insurance companies periodically go to the government to take a big bailout in the billions, called cost sharing subsidies, therefore insurance companies are a subsidized industry under ACA whereas before they were not. ACA benefits the poor and insurance companies at the expense of everyone else who pay more taxes so poor people get insurance from insurance companies. Rich people who pay more taxes under ACA tried to repeal ACA unsuccessfully because insurance companies are even richer and lobbied Congress to strike down the repeal effort. Insurance companies are so rich they destroyed single payer attempts in Vermont, New York, California.

thehill.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

The problem is that people don't need health insurance...they need healthcare. The insurance component needs to be eliminated for costs to be reasonable. Hopefully, our politicians will figure this out, but I won't hold my breath.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Single payer is cost effective and with the right regulation is also service effective. Every one other than America has single payer. In America the insurance industry has grown too powerful.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The problem is that people don't need health insurance...they need healthcare. The insurance component needs to be eliminated for costs to be reasonable. Hopefully, our politicians will figure this out, but I won't hold my breath.

This- BAN health insurance, watch the cost if healthcare for 99 percent of us fall into line.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Insurance of all kind is a Ponzi scheme and it's our elected officials who perpetuate it due to the kick back of $$$ from the lobbyists.

I went thru a divorce that pretty much destroyed my credit rating, and thus my car insurance drastically went up. I sent my Congressman a letter asking him why.

The response? People who have a poor credit rating do not show enough responsibility, therefore the car insurance industry feels they are a greater risk!

Not making that snip up either.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Where in that article is Orrin Hatch warning Trump not to touch the ACA? I seem to miss that sentiment from the article.

Also, "Rich people" aren't the only ones trying to repeal nor are they the only ones paying more. The middle class has been hit very hard by this bad law, suffering massive premium and deductible increases alongside reduced benefits and growing tax penalties for noncompliance.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye

Single payer is cost effective and with the right regulation is also service effective. Every one other than America has single payer. In America the insurance industry has grown too powerful.

We used to have single payer and it worked well. The patient paid the doctor for their services, issue resolved. I'd love to see us go back to that, but that system didn't reward Kept Voters, so I doubt it will happen.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Where in that article is Orrin Hatch warning Trump not to touch the ACA? .

Orrin Hatch did not say that but he did say that Republicans are throwing in the towel at this point. See the thread I started entitled Republicans are throwing in the towel.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Where in that article is Orrin Hatch warning Trump not to touch the ACA? .

Orrin Hatch did not say that but he did say that Republicans are throwing in the towel at this point. See the thread I started entitled Republicans are throwing in the towel.

I saw that, but I fully expect Trump to do the right thing and starve the ACA at the executive level. Starve something long enough and it withers and dies, which would yield the initially desired result of an ACA repeal.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Trying paying for a family of 5 on the market place with little to no subsidy and shelling out a mortgage payment a month for coverage and have a 5000 deductible on top of it. It's really fun........

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Insurance of all kind is a Ponzi scheme and it's our elected officials who perpetuate it due to the kick back of $$$ from the lobbyists.

I went thru a divorce that pretty much destroyed my credit rating, and thus my car insurance drastically went up. I sent my Congressman a letter asking him why.

The response? People who have a poor credit rating do not show enough responsibility, therefore the car insurance industry feels they are a greater risk!

Insurance is not a scam. Insurance is a financial product and since 95% of the public is illiterate, it is no wonder some people think it is a scam.

Insurance is nothing but playing statistical odds. The insurance company is betting you won't need the money and you are betting that you will need the money. You pay what amounts to a fraction of the money you MIGHT need which is the benefit. The insurance actuaries are betting you won't need the money. They have enough people paying premiums so that in case the small percentage of people who do need the money file a claim, they can pay it.

The problem is government has so distorted the market that everything health related is way more expensive than it needs to be.

By the way, people with poor credit do tend to file claims more and so they are justifiably charged more in premiums.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Insurance is not a scam. Insurance is a financial product and since 95% of the public is illiterate, it is no wonder some people think it is a scam.

Insurance is nothing but playing statistical odds. The insurance company is betting you won't need the money and you are betting that you will need the money. You pay what amounts to a fraction of the money you MIGHT need which is the benefit. The insurance actuaries are betting you won't need the money. They have enough people paying premiums so that in case the small percentage of people who do need the money file a claim, they can pay it.

The problem is government has so distorted the market that everything health related is way more expensive than it needs to be.

By the way, people with poor credit do tend to file claims more and so they are justifiably charged more in premiums.

Never had an accident in my life, yet because of my divorce and credit got slammed, how do you justify that? Insurance is a scam. Just look at the lobbying money they feed our so called elected officials.

Sure insurance would and could provide a comfort zone, but that isn't how the industry runs. They look to find more and more excuses to raise their rates to butter their bottom line. I don't have a problem with a business making money, but when I see them taking advantage of people for no other reason than a statistic it makes me question their reason for existing in the first place.
edit on 31-7-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Ah, but as soon as we entered a system by which pre-existing conditions are legislatively forced to be covered and a federal mandate requiring Americans purchase a very specific degree and type of insurance, the game changed completely. Statistical odds now have nothing to do with it, it is entirely a numbers game intended to divert money from the People to the insurance providers, giving subsidized coverage to just enough Americans to ensure those Kept Voters keep the scheme afloat with their votes for the pols who leave the "gifts" on the night stand the morning after.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Never had an accident in my life, yet because of my divorce and credit got slammed, how do you justify that? Insurance is a scam. Just look at the lobbying money they feed our so called elected officials.

Because statistically a poor FICO score is an indicator of a claim. It is just math. The insurance company whether rightly or wrongly can't get into your personal story. It is no different from how the insurance on a sports car costs more than insurance on a budget sedan. Or insurance on a teenage driver is more expensive than a 45 year old. They just know that a poor credit score is highly correlated with claims and thus the charge extra as a result.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Because statistically a poor FICO score is an indicator of a claim. It is just math. The insurance company whether rightly or wrongly can't get into your personal story. It is no different from how the insurance on a sports car costs more than insurance on a budget sedan. Or insurance on a teenage driver is more expensive than a 45 year old. They just know that a poor credit score is highly correlated with claims and thus the charge extra as a result.

I'll give you that.

I still call BS.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Ah, but as soon as we entered a system by which pre-existing conditions are legislatively forced to be covered and a federal mandate requiring Americans purchase a very specific degree and type of insurance, the game changed completely. Statistical odds now have nothing to do with it, it is entirely a numbers game intended to divert money from the People to the insurance providers, giving subsidized coverage to just enough Americans to ensure those Kept Voters keep the scheme afloat with their votes for the pols who leave the "gifts" on the night stand the morning after.

Exactly... govt distorting the market.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Then the only logical solution is for the government to extract itself entirely from the market... but that doesn't keep certain agendas in power because they'll lose their Kept Voters.

A democratically elected government is a conflict of interest for the American tax payer so long as this pandering BS continues. The early American standard of poll taxes and restricting the vote to landowners was a more logical and fair system, looking back.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Insurance is a complete scam. I am a business owner and trust me, Insurance companies fight tooth and nail to make sure they don't pay and have loads and loads of bureaucracy like the fed gov to keep you down when you are trying to look up.

The ACA failed the Supreme Court told the Obama Admin they could not, through the back door, provide bail out $ through the tax scheme from public to private.

Anyone that thinks this was some attempt at helping people is a moron. No Democrat or Republican moniker behind it, just a moron. It was a classic attempt at Privatizing profits and Socializing losses and of course the players enjoy watching people cut each others throats in public in the melee.

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
So... sew? Like in "Better sew those holes in Your jorts because You won't have any $$$ left after paying a jacked up premium..." Or start shopping at Ross™ and I saw a Lady pull out a pair of 'funda-wear' w/a 3rd gear scratch nee: "Laundry mark"; peanut butter stain; color-coordinated yellow in the fore, brown to the aft. I about vomited but the look on the Lady's face, it was like She saw 'beyond' what is visible.. Maybe because it was a Ross™ Outlet?

Thumbnail: The folks who are actually "in the middle" continue to take it in the balloon knot and those above these folks will just increase the prices charged for whatever goods they sell and the folks below them will join those 'on the dole'.. Greed breeds greed.

It won't be long before the little old Lady in Pasadena, sold Her Corvette™, and is walking down the street w/Her oxygen bottle in tow and She will get harassed if not beat up...

This is just the Insurance Cabal's turn at "The Trough" First it was the automakers, then the banksters, all tentacles of a $$$sucking MONSTER .Cut 1 head and 3 appear..

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Exactly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join