It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Image of The Week – Plumes of water melting Greenland’s tidewater glaciers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I know we are not supposed to post from blogs, but this is evidence from scientific blogs that I am posting about.

The first information comes from the blog of the Cryosphere (CR) Division of the European Geosciences Union (EGU).

Loss of ice from The Greenland Ice Sheet currently contributes approximately 1 mm/year to global sea level (Enderlin et al., 2014). The most rapidly changing and fastest flowing parts of the ice sheet are tidewater glaciers, which transport ice from the interior of the ice sheet directly into the ocean. In order to better predict how Greenland will contribute to future sea level we need to know more about what happens in these regions.

Tidewater glaciers meet the ocean at the calving front (Fig. 2), where ice undergoes melting by the ocean (“submarine melting”) and icebergs calve off into the sea. In recent decades, tidewater glaciers around Greenland have retreated (due to increased loss of ice at the calving front) and started flowing faster. This in turn causes more ice to be released into the ocean, contributing to sea level. Understanding the cause of these changes at tidewater glaciers is an ongoing topic of research.

blogs.egu.eu...

The following are simulations of a plume at a tidewater glacier from the above website.

But there is new information about what seems to be happening in Greenland.

The following information comes from the blog of volcanologist Haraldur Sigurðsson. I am using google translate.

12.7.2017 | 23:12

Confirmation of geothermal power under the Greenlandic glacier

Ágúst Arnbjörnsson, a pilot at Icelandair, took this nice picture yesterday across Greenland on the way from Keflavik to Portland, at 34,000 feet (10.4km). It clearly shows the same phenomenon and I blogged yesterday in Greenland ice caps, some west of Kulusuk. There seems to be a crack in the glacier and three gusts rise out of the crack, but the moth fights with a wind in the northwest direction. Unfortunately, we do not yet have a precise location on this phenomenon, except that it is about 75 km from Kulusuk. It is noteworthy that the mall is clear even from more than 10 km high. I thank Gunnarsson, the captain of Sigmund, for the information.

vulkan.blog.is...

Translated link below.

Link

What this latest information is showing is that there is significant geothermal heating occurring in Greenland, and it seems to be what is melting glaciers in the country.

The following is a photo taken by a pilot at Icelandair from 34,000 feet in the air. it shows significant plumes of water vapor from crack/s in the Greenland glacier. As of yet there is no specific information as to the exact location where this is occurring, except that it is about 75 km from Kulusuk..

Here is the image taken by the Icelandair pilot at 34,000 feet.

Back in April the Washington Post showed composite satellite images from NASA showing a new crack which has been forming at the Petermann Glacier in Northwest Greenland.

Scientists just found a strange and worrying crack in one of Greenland’s biggest glaciers

We are seeing also significant increases in geothermal heating in other areas as well, such as Central Mexico.

Sudden geothermal activity draws researchers to site in central Mexico

These events are very likely to be caused by the trebled increase in speed that is occurring in the molten iron jet in the northern hemisphere.

Molten iron river discovered speeding beneath Russia and Canada

edit on 22-7-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add image and link.

edit on 22-7-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
Nice find. S&F.

Interesting subject, and one that I have been following since last year. Thanks for the update!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Very interesting and thanks for the translation work!
Much appreciated!

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I believe they have "Discovered" Geo-Thermal activity below the Antarctic Ice sheets as well.

I am interested in the claim of increased seawater levels....presumably World wide.

Lets think about this, and Im no scientist.

Glaciers are made of frozen water on land.

The frozen water on the land, falls from the sky via clouds, as either snow or rain.

The Clouds are made up of water vapour.........that is created by evaporating "Water" that, on Earth, Mostly occurs in the great Oceans.

So the Water that makes up the melting Glaciers, returns to the ocean, then is re-evaporated and is again deposited on land.

This is a continuous cycle.

So how can there be a Net "Gain" of water in the oceans, when the cycle is always occurring?

This thinking much like the primitive thought that, if the Sea Ice sheets in the World melt the sea water will rise.
We know this is incorrect, as Ice Is H2O and displaces itself on liquid H2O....so there will be No difference in water level.

If we eliminate clouds and stop evaporation, perhaps then, the sea levels would increase.

Imagine the Billions of gallons of H2O circulating in our atmosphere, not to mention the subterranean water, and water in every living and most non living, "Things" on Earth.

Im sure the scientists are well aware of this, and this "Scaremongering" has some sort of agenda to it.....usually $$ involved.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Actually Greenland has always had volcanic activity and I'd be interested in what the local Greenlanders think about all this? Seeing as it affects them most.

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
European Geoscience Union~if that doesn't spell out Leftist Global warming initiative then I don't know does.
From above though "gort51", it ice falls from 300' above sea level and becomes "sea level water" then yes, oceans will rise.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

The current hydrologic cycle that life has adapted to would change dramatically and probably faster than many lifeforms can evolve. We may be entering an epoch of Earth where glaciation will be lower than it has been in millions of years. I'm not a scientist either, (probably obvious-lol) but I would imagine life as we know it would drastically change.

Interesting topic OP!
edit on 22-7-2017 by Starcrossd because: added word

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
How much do you want to bet this is what's happening in Antarctica?

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

Will this lead to a thickening in the atmosphere and larger animals and more mega fauna?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Not this old chestnut again? Oh the worlds glaciers are melting and the seas will rise.
Listen very, very closely the Earths glaciers are irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.
I've already put the data on here but I will tell you again and you will have to look it up yourselves else you'll say it's not true.
Every day, that's every day there are gazillions of cubic meters of water added to the words oceans and seas. Way, way more than the puny glaciers can ever add to them and the seas have not rose one iota.
Just look up at the world volume of river outputs then come back with any silly argument that melting glaciers will make the sea level rise.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Not this old chestnut again? Oh the worlds glaciers are melting and the seas will rise.
Listen very, very closely the Earths glaciers are irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.
I've already put the data on here but I will tell you again and you will have to look it up yourselves else you'll say it's not true.
Every day, that's every day there are gazillions of cubic meters of water added to the words oceans and seas. Way, way more than the puny glaciers can ever add to them and the seas have not rose one iota.
Just look up at the world volume of river outputs then come back with any silly argument that melting glaciers will make the sea level rise.

I guess I need a source... Rivers are fed by rain, rain comes from water vapor, a lot of water vapor comes from the sea. That's cyclical.
Glaciers are just sitting there holding water as ice, sublimation adds to the vapor in the air (which ends up in rivers) while melting adds to the water in the ocean.

Can't say for sure at this point if it's a problem or not. "Scientists" have made too much of a mess of science for any real facts to get to the people.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

So how can there be a Net "Gain" of water in the oceans, when the cycle is always occurring?

When the amount redeposited and frozen on glaciers is less than the melt.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Starcrossd

Will this lead to a thickening in the atmosphere and larger animals and more mega fauna?
Just imagine the mosquitos...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As I understand it, once enough "excess" fresh water is added to the ocean, the flow direction of the Gulf Stream waters will likely change to an extent that could have pretty serious consequences beyond/different from just rising sea levels.

The World's geographical climates that have held true for as long as we've been observing could be completely thrown upside down. A possibility even that the Earth will be plunged into an extended ice age.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
Please look on Wikipedia at "list of rivers by discharge" and remember the figures are cubic meters per second. Melt waters from all the glaciers pales into insignificance.
Now Antarctica is another matter, but the nature of the beast is there will always be poles where snow and ice collect. You can discount the furore over the ice shelf as this is already displacing it's volume so if or when this completely melts it wont add 1 centimeter to the sea levels.
In my opinion we are at the highest levels the seas and oceans will ever reach. At the last ice age the amount of water locked in the ice fields meant there were vast tracts of land exposed. The sea levels were as much as 100 meters lower hence you could walk over the English Chanel as it was dry land, plus the submerged cities off India and Japan that are coming to light.
The nay sayers quote that some Pacific island are losing their coastlines to rising levels. But what they don't tell you is that the majority of these islands are really glorified sand banks and as such (if you've ever read about sand islands appearing and disappearing) it's a natural cycle that's happening.

join