It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Molten iron river discovered speeding beneath Russia and Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Deep below our planet’s surface a molten jet of iron nearly as hot as the surface of the sun is picking up speed.

This stream of liquid has been discovered for the first time by telltale magnetic field readings 3000 kilometres below North America and Russia taken from space.

The vast jet stream some 420 kilometres wide has trebled in speed since 2000, and is now circulating westwards at between 40 and 45 kilometres per year deep under Siberia and heading towards beneath Europe (see diagram, below). That is three times faster than typical speeds of liquid in the outer core.

Why the jet is getting faster is more of a mystery. It may be related to the rotation of the inner core, which was found in 2005 to rotate a bit faster than Earth’s crust, says Xiaodong Song of the University of Illinois in Champaign, Illinois.

Livermore thinks the acceleration of the jet is down to push-back from magnetic fields. The flow of iron generates the magnetic field, but, he says, the magnetic field may then be affecting the flow of the iron.
Earths magnetic field seems to have been weakening, especially since around 1840, at about 5 per cent per century.

www.newscientist.com...

A molten iron river as hot as the surface of the sun beneath North America(Canada), and Siberia (420 km wide in each location), which produce a jet traveling westward in the northern hemisphere, has trebled in speed since the year 2000, although it is not known why this is happening, it is interesting to note that the researchers themselves are questioning whether this increase in activity can be tied together to a common process in Earth's core.

It is also interesting to note that researcher, Xiaodong Song, states that he thinks that meanwhile the iron flow generates Earth's magnetic field, that the magnetic field itself may also affect the flow of iron. So changes occurring to our Sun's magnetic field, changes in cosmic rays and other energy entering the solar system, which would affect Earth's magnetic field would at the same time affect the flow of the iron.

edit on 24-12-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

edit on 24-12-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

edit on Sat Dec 24 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
S&F

Will follow the link later and read more on this.

Thanks

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hot stuff.

Why do they call it a jet stream?

It is moving at 40-45Km per year.

I would not even call that a river.

More like a slow moving lake.

P

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
what's known about the deep earth at that depth is more conjecture than actual concrete knowledge.

Interesting though...

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen during a pole switch.
Would it destroy our digital age?

It's said that Santa lives on the north pole but there is no land mass, but the south pole does have land.
This proves sometime in antiquity, the north pole was in Antarctica.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

I think you're on to something.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Fascinating! I'm wondering what implications or effects this will have in both the short and long term. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this level of scientific knowledge. Great post! a reply to: ElectricUniverse

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It might not seem like much, but since the year 2000 the speed of the iron flow tripled which is quite a jump.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
If they just found it now, how do they know its going 3 times faster then it was 17 years ago?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
If they just found it now, how do they know its going 3 times faster then it was 17 years ago?

Just want to mention, The Time Machine is one of the best movies of all time.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

The 1960 movie yes one of the best movie ever

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
okay that solves the problem with the location of the magnetic pole....

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Don't tell Al Gore.
He will want a tax to stop it.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

As above so below i imagine. Makes some form of sense that the inner workings of our world may follow a similar fashion as the outer part of our Earth(Atmosphere).

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I'm having a little trouble with...

Deep below our planet’s surface a molten jet of iron nearly as hot as the surface of the sun is picking up speed.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Lends credence to intelligent. Design.....big time huh!

The two cylinders being held by inertia and electromag or being formed by such....

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I'm having a little trouble with...

The surface temperature of the sun is relatively cool compared to the sun's core temperature - 10,000°F vs 27,000,000°F.

10,000° is about double the boiling point of iron.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The more we know about the planet , the more questions arise. Earths destructive geological phases over the millenniums is kinda like biological indigestion I guess. Every once in a while she regurgitates and all Hell breaks loose.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Molten iron river discovered

Aw, they should name it The Nile that would be ironic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join