It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So......Avocado Oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I was looking for a healthy oil to use in place of the shortening substitute I was using [part palm oil, part coconut oil]...there was just something off-putting about the color....although it seemed to work well enough for frying meat and fish.
And something to be able to use for salad dressing....EVOO has the problem of totally going solid in the frig.

Butter works for frying, but it burns easily.
Coconut is much better, but the flavor isn't good for fish, meat or many veggies.
I don't like to use EVOO for fish and meat.....that is just me.

So, I found avocado oil. And so far, it's a great oil for us.
It can withstand higher temps for frying. Is a pleasant green color. Doesn't solidify when chilled. And has a taste that doesn't clash with foods.

So...anyone use it...recipes....info????

en.wikipedia.org...
wellnessmama.com...

draxe.com...

Unlike most fruits that are high in carbohydrates, avocados are uniquely high in healthy fats. (3) The unrefined oil that comes from an avocado is typically green in color with a rich, fatty odor. If the oil is refined, then it has a yellowish color and smells less strong.

One tablespoon of avocado oil contains about 124 calories and 14 grams of fat, which is 21 percent of the recommended daily fat intake. (4) (5) Although that fat percentage might seem high, 9.9 of the 14 grams are monounsaturated healthy fat and 1.9 grams are polyunsaturated fat (also a healthy fat). Avocados don’t contain any cholesterol or trans fats and are rich in vitamin E.

www.marksdailyapple.com...

Avocado oil is pressed from the pulp of the fruit rather than the seed. Because of its particular fat ratios, extra virgin avocado oil has a high smoke point of 400°F (204°C). This makes it extremely adaptable in the kitchen for anything from sautéing to stir-fry, baking to salads.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hi! I use it all the time now, as a substitute for canola and sometimes olive oil. It has no taste of its own and the food always tastes great (frying veggies, chicken, on potatoes).
No going back to Canola..

Bon Appetit
edit on 20-7-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I use it for everything cooking, baking......Haven't tried it as a lubricant but......

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I use it for making stove top popcorn, eggs, anything else I need oil for.

Best I've found.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe

I've honestly never tried avocado. Have no idea what it tastes like and haven't used it except for in facials and such. I'm interested as well in hearing some other ways people use it in their cooking. Maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow...

thanks,
blend57

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Walnut oil is not resistant to heat, but it's the best oil in salad dressings. Just to break the monotony of olive oil.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I love avocado oil. For things that need a stronger oil for frying, I use extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, the avocado is heavier ,and add just enough so it becomes a better oil.

I don't like it strictly by itself as its a strong oil not in flavor but in texture somehow. Think you could run a truck on it.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

It doesn't have all that much flavor!
That to me is the beauty of it for frying.
If I am sauteing fish, I don't want an oil with heavy flavor.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: surnamename57

I saw that at the store, and wondered about walnut oil!

I'll be giving it a try as well!
Thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I tried all different types of oils, but I always come back to using 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil/canola mix and it never burns.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Greetings-

You might also look into cooking with Grapeseed Oil, it 'may' just be the best oil for frying...

www.bonappetit.com...

And here are a few recipes using the Grapeseed Oil

www.eatingwell.com...

Bon Appetit

Asante

Edit: You can also use Grapeseed Oil for Your skin as it won't clog the pores, It'll also remove the bags under Your eyes!!!
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I actually looked into grapeseed oil....but unless it is organic, I would pass on it.
They make it from grape skins...and whatever toxins, etc are left on the skin..goes into the oil.
Or so I read.

I never heard about using it around your eyes....I've been using coconut oil, it also absorbs very well.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It has a whole bunch of Vitamin E..

www.stylecraze.com...

www.restorationbeauty.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

hmm....., Thanks!!!!

I'll definitely have to look into it....for now, I have enough avocado oil for the near term.
But grapeseed and walnut are possible in the future.

IMO, anything is better than canola and regular vegetable oils.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I have been using it a substitute for OO on fish and chicken and works great .

Havent tried frying witb it.

new topics

top topics

join