It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A challenge for you country music fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'm not really a much of a country music fan, but I recently discovered that I LOVE the '80's country band Highway 101. Since I'm not that familiar with the genre, what other bands would you recommend that are close to their style?

The first one that pops to mind for me is Lone Justice, and I'm just about to order their debut album, but I don't know that many other bands.

Help!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Trick pony , great divide are 2 that come to mind.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DrogoTheNorman

Slightly in that vein...but at least listen to ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL (still around playing!)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrogoTheNorman
I'm not really a much of a country music fan, but I recently discovered that I LOVE the '80's country band Highway 101. Since I'm not that familiar with the genre, what other bands would you recommend that are close to their style?

The first one that pops to mind for me is Lone Justice, and I'm just about to order their debut album, but I don't know that many other bands.

Help!

I don't know those bands honestly, but Chris Stapleton is currently my favorite. His voice is outstanding and the music itself has that lovely blues/southern rock tone to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The Kendalls, T. Graham Brown, T.G. Sheppard, Mel McDanial, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, David Frizell and Shelly West, Trick Pony (someone already mentioned them) and I agree with imthegoat, Chris Stapelton is a "new" artist. He was in two bands before he went solo, The Steeldrivers and The Jompson Brothers.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Brother, I'd give 80's country another shot just in general. Most of the music of that era is pure redneck glory.

If you need specific bands/singers, try these.
Janie Fricke
Holly Dunn
Restless Heart
Sweethearts of the Rodeo

Hwy 101 was heavily influenced by the Bakersfield sound, so I'd also give a listen to Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam, Flying Burrito Brothers, maybe even a little bit of old school Susan Raye and Kay Adams.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HummaKavula
David Frizell and Shelly West

Dude, you can't put Dottie West on a list and not include Terri Gibbs. I believe that's the law in some states.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm checking out all your suggestions, but I'm finding maybe I should define the criteria a little better.

Highway 101 is (in my ears) basically a rockabilly/country/rock outfit with a female lead who hits those haunting harmonies with her bandmates.

Lone Justice comes close.

If you want another song that hits what I'm looking for, think Juice Newton singing "Queen of Hearts."

In fact, I may check out Juice Newton here pretty quickly.
edit on 19-7-2017 by DrogoTheNorman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: HummaKavula
David Frizell and Shelly West

Dude, you can't put Dottie West on a list and not include Terri Gibbs. I believe that's the law in some states.

How right you are, a most egregious error on my part!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm checking out all your suggestions, but I'm finding maybe I should define the criteria a little better.

Highway 101 is (in my ears) basically a rockabilly/country/rock outfit with a female lead who hits those haunting harmonies with her bandmates.

Lone Justice comes close.

If you want another song that hits what I'm looking for, think Juice Newton singing "Queen of Hearts."

In fact, I may check out Juice Newton here pretty quickly.

Juice Newton is a great choice!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I think the 4 specific bands I listed above are in your wheelhouse.

ETA: I don't think you're looking for rockabilly, because Highway 101 ain't that. It's California hocky-tonk music.
edit on 19-7-2017 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I think the 4 specific bands I listed above are in your wheelhouse.

ETA: I don't think you're looking for rockabilly, because Highway 101 ain't that. It's California hocky-tonk music.

Point taken, but a female rockabilly singer/band would be entirely acceptable.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Dammit... something flew into my eye.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hell, I will chime in. I love me some country just not the radio stuff.
Any of these guys' stuff from the 80's
Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Merle Haggard
Johnny Cash

Some guys that are good in general
Gram Parsons
Shooter Jennings
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Hank 3
BlackBerry Smoke
Eric Church
I know I've seen Cris Stapleton mentioned he's good too.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Point taken, but a female rockabilly singer/band would be entirely acceptable.

Try Wanda Jackson then. She is not 1980's country nor anything like Highway 101 but I'd hazard a guess she's the best female rockabilly singer out there (of course that's just MHO).

top topics

join