It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man forgets cash at Virginia Beach Walmart, customer caught on camera taking it could be charged.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: tayton

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: liveandlearn

What goes around comes around

In my experience this is not true.
I've seen monsters win the lottery and die happy and old.
I've seen good people have everything they own stolen
and the robbers never caught.

I have done beautiful things for people and I have done horrible things,
rarely have I ever gotten what I deserve.

This world is random and chaotic the sooner you learn that there are no
laws of the universe governing the acts of men the happier you will be.

You must be fairly young, no more than 30-35, unfortunately I can assure you what goes around does come back. Your actions now will determine your future.

Your actions do determine your future.
But evil deeds do not always equal a bad future nor does good deeds always equal a good future.
I did a lot of evil things while homeless as a teenager but non of it has any effect on the beautiful life that
I have now.

Done evil deeds but have beautiful life now you say? Sounds like it's just about the time for it to fall apart. You never get away with a crime, even if not caught you will still pay. What you have now will be lost. Change your actions and mind now and you may be young enough for another. I've had 3 "beautiful lives" lost and now no chance for another

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: notsure1

According to Virginia law when you find money you have to try and find the owner???

In every State of the Union I know of , you gave to take the money to the authorities . Or any other object
No , it is not finders , keepers
You can be prosecuted

Okay. I mostly agree with you but have a scenario to run by you. What if the coppers track down that man who put the bill in his pocket and charge him. What if he then points them to the nearest church or soup kitchen and tells them he turned it over to the needy?

If I find a C-note on the sidewalk, I'm probably gonna take it to the food bank. They're always in need of cash.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

originally posted by: Gothmog

According to Virginia law when you find money you have to try and find the owner???

In every State of the Union I know of , you gave to take the money to the authorities . Or any other object
No , it is not finders , keepers
You can be prosecuted

Okay. I mostly agree with you but have a scenario to run by you. What if the coppers track down that man who put the bill in his pocket and charge him. What if he then points them to the nearest church or soup kitchen and tells them he turned it over to the needy?

If I find a C-note on the sidewalk, I'm probably gonna take it to the food bank. They're always in need of cash.

In the first case , the man could still be tried as theft. They did not make a concerted , documented effort to find the rightful owner . If I remember right , you have to make that effort for 15 days .
As a young teen , I found a wallet containing $50 . No identification. I walked to the police station , being a righteous young man , and turned it in . The officer took down my phone number and stated they would contact me after 15 days if the owner was not found . 16 days later, the officer called for me to come down to the station and pick up my money.
Moral of the story - karma is good when you practice good karma...

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
None of us are perfect. We all know what is the right thing to do and we are all guilty of doing 'the wrong thing' at certain times in our lives. I know I have, more than once.

Like the time when I worked as a delivery driver. I found a £10 in the store car park as I returned from a delivery, I picked it up and put it in my pocket, I was elated because I was really struggling and living hand-to-mouth on zero-hour minimum pay in a town were the majority of customers don't give tips. I can't remember what I spent it on, probably a few food necessities.

A couple of days later I overheard one of the other drivers saying he'd lost a £10 the other day, I thought it was probably the money I had found but I didn't say anything and just kept quiet. I knew I should've owned up and given it back right then, but I didn't have it any more and I really didn't have a spare £10 to give back. So I didn't. I kept quiet and quickly forgot about it and got on with the usual task of trying to survive.

Fast forward to today and I am approaching my 60th year on this Earth, a time of my life where all the bad things I've done in the past come back to haunt me. I often think about that time (amongst others) when I kept that £10 after finding out another driver had lost the same amount. That £10 probably was a lot of money to him and might have meant he couldn't buy petrol for work or he might have had to go without food for a day or so. My good fortune that day was only possible because of someone else's misfortune.

I have been in the position of misfortune myself on many occasions and know the pain of it only too well. And as I approach old age, I reflect on my life and the things I've done and I am not too proud of many of my actions knowing much of it I did with deliberate intent. Yes I was young and stupid, but I knew right from wrong and still did the wrong thing.

Try and do the right thing always guys because the guilt of your bad deeds will always follow you into old age, and it isn't easy to forgive yourself.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Man is imbued with the knowledge of right and wrong. It only remains to see if man will act accordingly.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Generally speaking most if not all states have laws requiring a person to turn in lost / found property to police. Generally so many days have to pass before the person who found the property can claim it if no owner comes forward to claim the property.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Actually they law varies. Typically you would need to take it to the police and wait 30 our 90 days and if it isn't claimed it's yours.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The finder (except certain locations/situations) can hold the property while an attempt is made to locate the owner.

Here is an article by a lawyer on lost and mislaid property.
edit on 7/17/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
I have always live by the age old adage " Finders keepers losers weepers".

That's muttered on the playgrounds of elementary schools for a reason--it's immature.

So what you're saying is that, if you walk up to a car with no owner, you can just take it? I won't even continue--the bottom line is that, here in America at least, you are secure in your own possessions and property. Just because you might accidentally forget it somewhere for five minutes doesn't mean that it's' suddenly community property available to the first person to yell, "Dibs!"

Come on--that $100 was the property of someone else who just happened to accidentally leave it. You are not allowed to just take someone else's property. If the dude made zero effort to locate the owner or discuss his find with an employee and he just up and took the cash, he is absolutely in the wrong and knowingly stole someone else's property.

As others have noted, most states have laws or guidelines concerning found property or money, and they do not entail pocketing it and walking away.
edit on 17-7-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tayton

All you have to do is look at big corporations and politicians to know that know mystical energy force of the universe is going to balance their corruption out. What one dishes out does not have to come back on them. This guy/gal changed their life from bad to good, assuming the universe did seek balance, if they did bad things but now are doing good things isn't it already balanced?

How do you explain all the bad things that happen to good people, and all the good things that people have because of all the bad things they have done?

Life is rough, but hey if someone robs you, you can sleep well at night knowing they are going to get theirs. But...wait that would mean if you were robbed you deserved it somehow.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

That's messed up. The person who left it there made the mistake. It's not a crime to find money, and how the heck are they supposed to locate the owner? Tell an employee?? So the employees would have to review tapes, check parking lot ones as well and hope for a license plate, then contact police to find the person? What if they walked? Dig into the bank data next? The employees could easily keep it, and claim they never got it.

Did locate a couple of articles on the topic -

Can I keep a bunch of cash that I found?

Found Money – What Are My Legal Obligations?

Legally, does seem to be some obligation to do something, but the real question is, what? Turning it over to the store isn't a good plan. If the person finding it told the store, and held on to the money, and the store failed to research, who's at fault, then? I'd say the store. Morally, of course, trying to locate someone is right, but making it a crime? If it's a crime, specific steps should be available for a person.

Way back in junior high, I found an envelope with cash in a hallway, during a time when a LOT of groups wee doing fundraisers. I checked with all of them, to see who might have dropped it and none reported any lost money. I was told, no way to track it, so it was mine. Sometimes, not a single thing one can do.
edit on 17-7-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: Gothmog

Actually they law varies. Typically you would need to take it to the police and wait 30 our 90 days and if it isn't claimed it's yours.

Jaden

It has been a long , long time since I was a young teen

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: rickymouse
Finders keepers losers weepers applies.

...thats not a law. what is the law (in this case in virginia) is that you are obligated to make an attempt to give that money/property back to its rightful owner.

Consider it this way..if you notice someone left their keys on some pub counter, you don't get to suddenly find a car.

That is different, that is the Bartenders tip you are stealing

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
The proper thing to do in this situation is to ask to see a manager and then give it to them.

Says who?

Proper thing to do it to take that money and go take the wife out to dinner, then make some sweet love.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Always.. in a store, take found money to the customer service..

It's not finders keepers in a retail store...

Debating this scenario makes me wonder what we have become...

SMH

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Put an vague ad in the newspaper lost & found for 15 days.

or

Just announce that was your plan at trial, as soon as you got home.
edit on 18-7-2017 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Once upon a time I was out riding my bike, before I decided to become a couch potato, or a semi-couch potato, I lost my billfold, it slipped out of little pack I carried it in that fastened under the bike saddle...

It only had both my credit cards in it, my drivers license, and roughly 800 dollars in cash. Rent and bills money. Tough to replace immediately, y'know?

So I peddled over to my mom and dad's place, when in doubt, mom knows everything!! Not ten minutes after I got there, there's a knock on the door, a young kid, about 10, maybe 12, is at the door with my billfold... Everything was there. Credit cards, cash, everything... To call your's truly releaved would be an understatement of enormous proportions.

Imagine the fun that kid could have had with that money. But he didn't do anything other than take it home, and he and his mom tried my place no one home obviously, so they tried the only other address in the billfold, my mom and dads place. Needless to say, the kid got a reward for his honesty. A little of that cash, and, since I was a manager at a local video store at the time, a Blockbuster, he got several free rentals on my employee account.

Taking someone's money like that is not something I could do. It just ain't right, as the saying goes. Many stores will put the money into their safe for holding for a certain number of days, if no one claims it, they'll call you to come claim it.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtnDebating this scenario makes me wonder what we have become...

A nation of entitled people who don't understand the reality that you can't just take someone else's property, even if you don't know whose property it is.

My son accidentally left his wallet sitting on top of one of those claw machines at a Walmart after winning his little sister a stuffed animal--her excitement made him forget about it. We called the store maybe 20 minutes after leaving to see if anyone had turned it in, and I even made a point to drive back, even though they said that it wasn't turned it, to see if it was still there. It was not.

He lost $70 worth of birthday money because some entitled POS felt that, since it was just sitting there, it was free for them. I hate thieves with a very high degree of passion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join