It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy possible in 8 years - Put on your thinking cap!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Telepathy possible in 8 years

Imagine if telepathy were real. If, for example, you could transmit your thoughts to a computer or to another person just by thinking them.

"I figured out how to put basically the functionality of an M.R.I. machine — a multimillion-dollar M.R.I. machine — into a wearable in the form of a ski hat," Jepson tells CNBC, though she does not yet have a prototype completed.

I'm a little skeptical for many reasons and the whole idea brings up tons of questions that's for sure.

So what does that hat have to do with telepathy? Current M.R.I. technology can already see your thoughts: "If I threw [you] into an M.R.I. machine right now ... I can tell you what words you're about to say, what images are in your head. I can tell you what music you're thinking of," says Jepsen. "That's today, and I'm talking about just shrinking that down."

I'd love to see this 'in person' - it sounds fascinating - but a little too invasive for me. That's the point though I guess.

Talk of telepathy cannot happen without imagining the ethical implications. If wearing a hat would make it possible to read thoughts, then: "Can the police make you wear such a hat? Can the military make you wear such a hat? Can your parents make you wear such a hat?" asks Jepsen. What if your boss wanted you to wear a telepathy hat at the office?

Maybe it's not such a good idea after all... Whole can a worms there.
I'm surprised the military have not already taken this project over.
I wonder why not?

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Those are some lofty (and untrue) achievements/capabilities of MRI machines she's purporting.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Possible or not, I can guarantee everyone one thing.

Thought crime will be the latest travesty that humans have brought themselves.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Yea. I imagine it's not too far off. There are already plenty of similar applications marketed as puzzle and even dueling games. Once the coding engine is built, and the processing power is available for a large vocabulary, it is inevitable that this will trend and just get more popular.

www.npr.org...

youtu.be...

These products are just EEG sensors. If she really can scale down an MRI, i'll be impressed. They need a lot of power.
edit on 7-7-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They they will be able to detect of the polarization of the magnetic field around your head, then figure out your thoughts that way. ThoughtCrime will be real.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the future is impossible to predict so stuff like this is just an guess

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Communication through a M.R.I. machine is not telepathy.

Besides, according to Dr. Rupert Sheldrake we are biologically evolving to telepathic communication. If true, no need for machines to read thought. Maybe in a decade or two, computers and machines will be useless. : O

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
If it's true that the UFO/alien phenomenon is due to time traveling humans from our future, and that they communicate telepathically as some witnesses have claimed, then perhaps humans are destined to evolve this ability.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
it would cause instant extinction of humans .
Come on Immange ever time someones pissed or you are ever thought is theirs to see .
humans are no ware near ready for this

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Sheldrake rocks! Thank you for adding this video - one I haven't seen.

As for how the MRI works or not - I'm totaly ignorant on that one.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
it would cause instant extinction of humans .
Come on Immange ever time someones pissed or you are ever thought is theirs to see .
humans are no ware near ready for this

I agree with you there. And even though she says she'll figure out a way to let the user turn it 'off and on' - yeah, I'm seeing that getting hacked right off the bat.

And the police and government - ouch. Not what I want to see happen.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't think I would ever submit to a machine that can read my thoughts. If I were to get a good looking technician we would all be embarrassed.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm going to jump in without reading the OP's source (I know, I know) and mention that they've been doing some impressive things with fMRI and algorithms.

This is from 6-7 years ago:

What they're doing in that case essentially in that case was recording activity in the visual cortex as people watch a WHOLE lot of YouTube video clips. The clips were then stored in a library along with the associated patterns of activity. Then they recorded the activity while subjects viewed new clips and used an algorithm to match the patterns of activity against those in the library, pulling out the associated clips and merging them to "decode" an approximation of what the subjects were viewing.

My understanding at the time was that while it was a big step forward, we were still looking at something on the order of decades of refinement.

From the excerpts, the researcher might be overstating the current state of the tech a bit but it's definitely something on the horizon and given the pace of technological progress, eight years might be a closer estimate than the decades one might assume.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I saw an article about Japanese scientists that were mapping the brain's signals when a thought arose, like words, images and letters, so a computer could eventually read someone's mind, and that was in the 80's... (I see in the video's description posted by imitator about Dr. Sheldrake that he began his research in 1981...)

It's a bit like the experiences about controlling a robotic arm with a brain implant. Monkeys have been subjected to these experiences for many many years, but all we hear is that they make it possible with a monkey, but when will the market open for people?

I think we can all agree that knowing what one thinks will be much more profitable to the government or enterprises than giving more mobility to an handicapped person, so... this will probably be marketed wayyy before robotic arms.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind then give me the electric chair for all of my future crimes. Electric chair yeah!
-Prince

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
Besides, according to Dr. Rupert Sheldrake we are biologically evolving to telepathic communication.

I like Sheldrake, but I also tend to think that rather than evolving toward telepathy, we're actually evolving away from it. One of my pet goofy theories is that one of the reasons Neanderthals were so successful for such a long time is that they had pretty strong telepathy in that big brain of theirs. We managed to inherit a little bit of it, but I suspect that it's been slowly fading away ever since we learned how to speak more eloquently.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

I know I can hear other peoples thoughts but they call it 'schizophrenia'. Some of it ok is me hearing stuff which isn't there but I also think some of what I hear is actually other peoples thoughts..

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: imitator
Besides, according to Dr. Rupert Sheldrake we are biologically evolving to telepathic communication.

I like Sheldrake, but I also tend to think that rather than evolving toward telepathy, we're actually evolving away from it. One of my pet goofy theories is that one of the reasons Neanderthals were so successful for such a long time is that they had pretty strong telepathy in that big brain of theirs. We managed to inherit a little bit of it, but I suspect that it's been slowly fading away ever since we learned how to speak more eloquently.

Perhaps not de-evolving but instead being suppressed intentionally. Fluoride in the water vs. the pineal gland is a very interesting topic and possibly only one of many things being done to us.
edit on 7-7-2017 by bluesjr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr
Perhaps not de-evolving but instead being suppressed intentionally. Fluoride in the water vs. the pineal gland is a very interesting topic and possibly only one of many things being done to us.

If that were the case, then the people who live in countries where they don't fluoridate the water should be psychic geniuses!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

They'd have to rethink the manual if they got hold of my numskulls.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join