It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belarus Distracting From War On Terror?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well it's true: what the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public. I was reading up on Condi Rice and learned something a bit interesting about certain minor distractions from the war on terror.

Belarus Democracy Act of 2004, signed by President George W. Bush and passed unanimously by the U.S. Congress on October 4, 2004 authorizes assistance for Belarusian political parties, non-governmental organizations, and independent media working for democracy and human rights.

I could be wrong here, but the reading between the lines of this bugs me a bit. Are we financially investing ourselves in attempts to subvert the government of Belarus, which has entered into treaties with Russia which have essentially integrated the two nations as one?

Lukashenko seeks to develop a closer relationship with Russia. The framework for the Union of Russia and Belarus was set out in the Treaty On the Formation of a Community of Russia and Belarus (1996), the Treaty on Russia-Belarus Union, the Union Charter (1997), and the Treaty of the Formation of a Union State (1999). The integration treaties contain commitments to monetary union, equal rights, single citizenship, and a common foreign and defense policy

I'm not really a complete dove, and I'm certainly no coward. I'm all for helping people however we can, but here is what I'm wondering now. How much money, political capital, and (god forbid) military/intelligence force are we prepared to invest in a likely futile effort to intervene in a matter which will almost certainly lead to Russian reprisals against defenseless US allies?
It seems to me that if we push Belarus away from Russia using our funds and our clandestine services, then Russia might attempt similiar retaliation against Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Afghanistan, or Turkmenistan.

How is dedicating assetts to a minor issue which we can not win economically going to help us in the broader war on terror? Our intelligence services are being rebuilt still- assetts should be dedicated to getting into Indonesian terror networks and building contacts in the Iranian and North Korean militaries- not dicking around with Russia's friends!

What do you think? Perhaps somebody can point out some good news in this subject which I have missed, so it wont seem so bad?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am not to up on this area, could you please provide a link(s) to this subject matter. In order to understand the point your making, need a tad bit more info on this. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mscbkc070904
I am not to up on this area, could you please provide a link(s) to this subject matter. In order to understand the point your making, need a tad bit more info on this. Thanks.

Forgive me, I forgot the links. As usual I have relied heavily on Wikipedia as the hub of all human knowledge

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Long story short, Belarus made steady progress with the EU from 91 till about 96, then started faltering on responsibilities. At the same time they began improving ties to Russia again. In the late 90s they basically unified with Russia.
They are listed as an "Outpost of Tyranny" according to Condi Rice. The Belarus Democracy Act which our congress passed unanimously approves US support for "non government organizations" etc in Belarus.

Belarus' government is probably in the wrong (although I'm not 100% informed here and I have learned from FNC's coverage of Venezuela that you can't believe everything you hear) but I am wary about what level of involvement our country takes in the domestic affairs of nuclear powers such as Russia.
For some reason America has given up on "carot and stick" diplomacy. We eat the carot ourselves and use the stick to whip the snot out of the mule.

join