It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Solutions.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: Painterz

Reducing food waste. ? Oh no...but then we would have to admit that there is no food shortage and we dont need no GMO to feed the world.

Dunno about the US, but in the UK an massive amount of food gets thrown away because we buy too much and dont know how to manage our budgets.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
IMO though the first thing is teaching people how to use the off switch - and that if you turn off a light (or any electrictal appliance) when not using it it will not kill you and may in fact not even cost you money ....

IMO we could nigh on halve global energy consumption overnight ..... If we wanted to. Though I appreciate certain billionaires would not be happy and may oppose such a move.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Sailing ships are a good idea. Imo, sailing is the ultimate true form of green energy. I doubt we'll be seeing them used on the majority of freighters. Winds are constantly changing direction/speed & freighters are on a tight schedule. Ultimately it would be better for the environment for us to buy products manufactured domestically instead of overseas & to buy food sourced locally.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNaiI

We are already paying taxes for protecting the environment to agencies like the EPA, NOAA, etc.. also, they are not climate refugees. They are war refugees from the destabilization of the middle East & Africa, caused by western nations overthrowing their governments. The Inconvenient Truth is a propaganda piece created by politicians/corporations in order to line their pockets through their corrupt environmental racketeering schemes.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

The kite sails are relatively new and perform amazing. Look at kiteboarding and how fast and how far upwind a skilled kiteboarder can go.

The freight industry will do what is profirable, burning less fuel with the help of a kite aka sky sail, makes their business more profitable by cutting fuel costs.

The sky sails some freighters use are nothing like a traditional sailing rig.
edit on 1-7-2017 by jrod because: A

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNaiI

Here's a link which explains the real reason for the war in Syria. Also, globalization is a bigger problem for the environment vs. decentralization.

www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 1-7-2017 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Plant Rich diet? ...eat more greens? or darker greens?

clean cook stoves? is that a type of stove? or just keep your stove clean?

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

There's a big difference between a kite board & a super freighter. I'm also willing to bet a kite boarder & a kite super freighter can't sail directly into the wind. I'm sure the kite boarder could sail closer to the wind than a kite superfreighter. They may be able to use a kite when conditions are right in order to save some fuel.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

So you did not even look at the link a provided about Sky Sails....otherwise you would be much informed about their performance.

Sky Sails will help pull a freighter up to 45°( and exceeding) up wind. That is over 75% of the compass rose.
edit on 1-7-2017 by jrod because: In

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I am a sailor & understand sailing dynamics. I have also read about the kite sail in the past. I think traditional masts & sails would work better on smaller ships & kite sails would work better on larger ships. I believe both are great ideas. They could also make an underwater sail & use it like a sea anchor to travel with the currents. All of these can be used when conditions are right to save on fuel use/costs. I'm sure if fuel prices rise a lot more ships will be using these. It's 45 degrees on either side of the wind direction so it can't sail 90 degrees out of 360. Also the closer one sails into the wind there is less speed moving forward.
edit on 1-7-2017 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FrankyPhone

That's pretty cool. I've seen a small yacht with a similiar system. It would still have to use fuel in no or little wind conditions. I'm not a big fan of subsidies, especially when most ships aren't documented (registered) in the US.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I seriously have my doubts of you being a sailor.

Kites can break the 45° ruleof thumb as can winged sails...hence more than 75% of wind direction they can be useful in.

Burning bunker oil, while cheap, is no good for the atmosphere. Anything that helps is good. I am surprised kites aka sky sails are not more common in the freighter industry.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Much more information related to Drawdown is in their book of the same name, edited by the one and only Paul Hawken:

www.drawdown.org...

On C-SPAN's BookTV website, Paul Hawken coordinates a presentation on the Drawdown project:

www.c-span.org.../drawdown
edit on 7/19/2017 by Uphill because: correction

top topics

<< 1   >>

join