It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims targeted by violence in wake of IS-claimed attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
From the Associated Press,
Muslims targeted by violence in wake of IS-claimed attacks

This month alone, a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf told police in Lancashire her car was struck by a bag of vomit. Worshippers at the Omar Faruque mosque in Cambridge found strips of ham attached to their vehicles. Several Muslim families have reported receiving letters warning, "You are no longer welcome in this country." Scores say they have been spat on.

But, it seems the reasons they give for these attacks make little mention of the extremist attacks in the name of their belief system.

"We are easy targets because of the way we dress and when we pray," said Hassan Ali, a 34-year-old resident of Finsbury Park, a north London neighborhood that is home to a large Muslim population and where the attack occurred. "But every time there is an attack here or elsewhere, we are blamed. When we are attacked, people look away."

Seems to me if there was a more widespread, loud, and publicly vocal denouncing of these extremist attacks there would be less hate toward the majority of innocents. Especially since this is not a local British phenomena. It is a global trend.....

Such attacks against Muslims have been on a worldwide increase. In January, a white nationalist opened fire on an Islamic cultural center in Quebec City, Canada, killing six people and wounding nearly 20. In the same month, the Islamic Center of Lake Travis in Austin, Texas, was destroyed by a fire in what authorities called a hate crime and another mosque was burned to the ground. Last year, nearly 100 mosques were attacked in Germany and dozens across Europe have been targeted by arsonists this year.

So, if this is a global issue, could it be related to the fact that the extremists that are co-opting their religious belief system are doing so with little resistance from their fellow followers (i.e. "peaceful Muslims")?

And, they seem to be crying crocodile tears regarding the speed at which this latest event (the van driver near the Finsbury mosque) was called a terrorist incident.

Residents of Finsbury Park said they were angry that the police seemed slow to call Monday's incident a "terror attack." They also expressed frustration that attacks on the Muslim community have received little coverage or sympathy.

Really? I believe it took them all of 8 minutes to declare it a terrorist act this time. In the last event, it took about a day for that to be declared, didn't it?

Look, I don't blame all followers of a specific belief for the acts of a few. But, if someone does not want to be lumped into that group, then a concerted effort MUST be made, loudly and repeatedly, to disassociate themselves with that group. Part of that is to welcome non-believers into your community, embrace them and give them a chance to know you. Staying separated does nothing to clarify that position, it only aids the extremists to lump everyone together (on BOTH sides).

But, you may say, why do they need to even do that when they are not involved??
Because it is a proactive solution to diffuse the hatred. It is a lot harder to hate someone you know and have personified than it is to hate a stranger.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Little resistance from the "peacefull muslims"?

What on earth are they to do? Attacks have been condemn world wide by pretty much everyone. Peacefull muslims cant do anything more than peacefull christians or atheists or whatever.
edit on 52017Mondaypm630Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:27:46 -0500America/Chicagov27 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golantrevize

Little resistance from the "peacefull muslims"?

What on earth are they to do? Attacks have been condemn world wide by pretty much everyone. Peacefull muslims cant do anything more than peacefull christians or atheists or whatever.

I guess you missed the end of my OP, when I said,

But, you may say, why do they need to even do that when they are not involved?? Because it is a proactive solution to diffuse the hatred. It is a lot harder to hate someone you know and have personified than it is to hate a stranger.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Maybe the extremest want the BLOW BACK that is coming in many countries against Islam.. It will help their recruitment phase of their take over..

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

There is no MAYBE about it. They have stated that upfront. In fact, it is in the article itself...

The idea has been to sow mistrust and drive both sides to the extremes. In the case of IS, the propaganda has gone even further, warning Muslims that if they failed to either join the fight in defense of the extremists' self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria or carry out attacks in their home countries, they themselves were complicit in a system of oppression against Muslims.

Which is why I am advocating a more inclusive solution form the Muslim community. Invite people in! Get to know people that are not Muslims. Keeping exclusive is only making it worse.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
well all i can say is that the terrorists have won by dividing us more and more, they've installed both hatred and fear

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

And to not let that happen, we need to do the opposite.....right??!

Again, the Muslim community needs to bring folks int so they can see first hand that they are all people. Without that, the only exposure non-Muslim's will get is from the bad headlines in the media.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I half blame the progressive rhetoric leaving people to bottle up differences until they explode.

People need to speak freely. Now you can call them racists where as before you could have said disgruntled neighbor or member of the community with a grievance.

There is a middle ground that was deemed unholy.

Dont go there they said. Its wrong.

Now, you cant. This is wrong too.

edit on 6 19 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

i do understand your point, but believe me those brainwashed terrorists will never change their minds and what ever other Muslims say and protest against will only make them believe more in what they are doing because thats what they think is the right thing to do and thats because they were programed this way, remember that they also kill Muslims in Syria and Iraq because they dont share the same belief.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

i do understand your point, but believe me those brainwashed terrorists will never change their minds and what ever other Muslims say and protest against will only make them believe more in what they are doing because thats what they think is the right thing to do and thats because they were programed this way, remember that they also kill Muslims in Syria and Iraq because they dont share the same belief.

Oh, I understand that. I am not saying we can change the minds of those wack-a-doodles. What I am trying to convey is that we can avoid allowing them to influence us and further divide us. But it has to be done on BOTH sides. The Muslim community NEEDS to step up here and open themselves up to the wider community.

We need to isolate the ISIS folks from the normal folks. The more we can help to come together between all those that do NOT follow that twisted path, the better off we will all be. We can focus our energy upon ISIS and not be fighting amongst ourselves. But it CANNOT be a one-way street here. It cannot be unilateral support which is what has been tried and failed miserably to this point.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

First, I do not approve of any kind of violence.

I can only speak in general terms here but I get the impression that a lot of people are tired of bending to accommodate a rather rigid culture.
We are a pretty easy going bunch and people feel taken advantage of.
If Muslims are such a minority why are there so many halal products?
Check the labels next time you go shopping. There's halal bread in my kitchen right now. Why???
I don't particularly care about that but I detest animal cruelty and will not eat halal meat.

There are people having their benefits cut off for the slightest tiny thing yet Muslims can turn down jobs if they don't want to work around women, cigarettes, alcohol etc and its seen as them getting preferential treatment.

Resentment has been building for a long time about the changing culture in the UK and a lot of folk feel like they're getting a raw deal and were never consulted at all. New things are just imposed on us and we just have to like it or lump it.
I'm not saying that they're right but there has been a lot of complaints about these changes and people are fed of of being branded as islamaphobes, racists, Nazis, fascists...etc etc etc It seems to some like a stealth takeover because the demands are non stop.

Add a few terrorist murderers to the mix and its a recipe for disaster. I don't know how to identify a terrorist and, I dare say, neither does anyone else so they just lash out at those who look different. eg burkas , hijabs and whatever you call those floor length shirt type things the guys wear, beards, hats etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Here's where I see where we are now.

Now this is just my opinion, so I'm probably wrong. . . .

Some, many, say that the west is being attacked because the "west" has bombed their home country's.

Now?

The "west" is striking back because the "west" is being bombed by Muslims.

Where does it end?

Probably with the side willing to kill more and with a lower regard to human life.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Here's where I see where we are now.

Now this is just my opinion, so I'm probably wrong. . . .

Some, many, say that the west is being attacked because the "west" has bombed their home country's.

Now?

The "west" is striking back because the "west" is being bombed by Muslims.

Where does it end?

Probably with the side willing to kill more and with a lower regard to human life.

Problem is Muslims attack innocent westerners who had no say in the attacks of their country, and it is the same with westerners attacking the innocent Muslims who had no part of radical terrorist attacks.

When will both sides wake up and stop the senseless killings from within their own camps ?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Do they know the reasons behind these attacks?

Anything to do with 'retaliation' for recent attacks on people by Islamic Terrorists?

This was bound to happen when people have enough of seeing these attacks take place on home soil, a soil that we welcomed them on but some have chosen to take a path of destruction and kill children & adults alike, not to mention rape women just because they want to or get the urge to rape little boys. This stuff needs to stop otherwise there will be more revenge attacks taking place.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I don't think it will end.

It's only going to get worse.

I'm not saying this with any joy, just observing it.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Sides are forming in this world. And, a lot of Muslim followers will need to choose which side they wish to follow. Without folks knowing each other personally, then that choice may cost someone their life (or their family). ISIS is openly marking a line in the sand for them already, "follow us or be branded one of them, and therefore our enemy". If they choose not to openly and publicly abandon the ISIS path, then (like it or not) they will be judged to be in support of them. It may not be right, but it will be true.

This will continue if the west and the non-ISIS Muslims do not become inclusive and share the burden of fighting ISIS and their followers.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

That's a fair comment and one that's probably echoed by many.

There have been warnings but they've been ignored.

When there is a refusal to even start that awkward conversation that we need to have, people will act as they see fit.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Good posts.

It goes so far back into history it's unclear where it really started and by whom.

And you know it doesn't really matter who started it because it was so long ago they are long gone.

In other words, we live in a psychopathic world of delusional nutcases.

Thankfully some people are willing to step outside of the box and think things over. We just need more of that.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It's sad that innocent muslims were attacked because of what people belonging to the religion have done in the name of that religion. But if you or anyone didn't see this coming, then you are as blind as the politicians that tell us Islam is not a problem. Scorn me all you want for saying that phrase, but it is a problem. All religion is a major problem in the world and it has been since man discovered fire. Religion needs to go, it is holding humanity back, my guess is we should at least be 100 years ahead of what we are now. Think of the things we could achieve as a whole species on this planet ! In 2017 an there is still people who dislike other people for some reason or other, mainly because they are different.

I feel bad for the loss of innocent life, do I feel as bad as I would feel if it was a Muslim who done this attack ? Honestly I know I don't, and that is because for the past 16 years of my life the MSM has told me who my boogie man is. Will I receive more scorn for been honest about that ? Yes, do I care ? No.

I would love to get along with my Muslim brother and sisters just like I get along with everyone else, sadly I cannot see this happening and that saddens me more than the loss of life. How can we stop this crazy train we are all on ? I would really love to know, but I feel the people that rule us NEED us divided like this, if Isis is funded by the very governments that fight them and tell us they are evil, what chance do we have ? I feel if this problem happened in our forefathers time it would have been nipped in the bud because we have a place to vent our anger "the internet" there place to vent there anger was the streets. They got # done. Asalam alakaim to all victims of this attack. And sorry for the rant guys, all of this just breaks my heart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join