It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ITT: The Road To Success Is Always Under Construction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It's often challenging, practicing the maintenance of a positive attitude in the face of the adversity life often throws at us.

My dad has a poster named after this Lily Tomlin quote. Over the years, it has often brought a smile to my face, encouraging me when I'm feeling down.

In this thread, I'll share some of the quotes and commentary of what they mean to me. I'm hoping this thread can help inspire our community. I'll gradually add to it over time.

Please feel free to add your own motivational quotes, and what they mean to you. Free discussion, observations, stories, yadda, yadda, yadda...

"The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

Ms. Tomlin's quote reminds me that reaching for one's goals is always a work in progress. Only by the practice of trying to achieve what we would like for ourselves do we move towards it.

I find it inspiring because in my youth I often gave into the temptation to believe if I couldn't do something well, it wasn't worth the effort. This kind of thinking held me back often by limiting the choices I felt I had in any given situation. A little older now, I feel it's so much where you're going, rather how you get there.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

The road to success is always under construction. Arnold Palmer
Read more at: www.brainyquote.com...

She stole it.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

Good to know, I'll check out the quotes deeper as I go.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I'll add two of my favorites:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Read more at: www.brainyquote.com...

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
Paul
edit on 19-6-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
Eleanor Roosevelt
l

Roosevelt's quote often comes to mind, when I hear gossip.In the past, I used often used the quote to justify withdrawing sometimes from conversations.A little older now, I see that I get better mileage by trying to practice engaging others regardless of how their mind may appear at first. With her leadership background, I think I missed the point to start out with.

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.

Looks like the first part of a quote by the Stoic Marcus Aurelius:

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts, therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.

When it comes to guarding thoughts, I find it's usually a matter of being proactive in the face of the unexpected. Specifically, taking time to think out my reactions in everyday situations.Learning to deal with other's negative emotions can call for taking a deep breath and collecting thoughts.Going for a walk can be helpful too, if possible. In the spur of the moment, seeing the humor in a situation can disarm volatile situations.

Internally, nagging negative thoughts and what I call "ego harassment" can be tricky dealing with.Sometimes simply observing the thoughts rise and fall can be enough. I've found shifting awareness to the outside, like say focusing on fine details on an object around me, the distant horizon, or sky useful.Being in the moment by playing with children, or feeding the birds is another option to try.

In the bigger picture, eating healthy, exercise, and good sleep are parts of maintaining a good attitude. Helping others, and more formal volunteer work is enriching. Investing time in reading books on positive thinking can be therapeutic too.Marcus Aurelius "Meditations" is well worth reading. "Drama llamas" and individuals with parasitic attitudes are important to watch out for.

Having gone through dark nights, working towards adapting a more positive mindset is generally a longer term process.

posted on Jan, 22 2022 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Some time has gone by...

Feed your faith and doubt will starve to death

I have found practicing this productive for maintaining a positive mindset.

The curve balls life throws at us are often difficult to see coming. I can be quite frank when caught off guard. Stubborn, I catch myself at times saying things that could be said a better way.

No matter, when I feel I've put my foot in my mouth I am reminded that they wouldn't fit in my ears.

Staying positive when I backtrack, and looking to share the lessons on the road provides another opportunity for a better tomorrow. There's no time like the present, that energy wants to express itself. Faith is often underestimated, I realize that focusing on the light brightens up everything around, focusing on the darkness encourages me to get more sleep!

It's easier to wake up and look forward to challenges when I'm well-rested. I suspect feeling tired is a root factor that contributes to ego going on the offensive. Everyone needs rest, that varies depending on whom.

edit on 22-1-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: spacing and grammar

edit on 22-1-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: clarity

edit on 22-1-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: added m to who

new topics

top topics

join