It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myanmar Y-8 crashes into Andaman Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
On June 7th, a Myanmar owned Shaanxi Y-8 turboprop crashed shortly after crossing the coast over the Andaman Sea, killing all 122 people on board. The wreckage impacted the water, spread over a wide area, which apparently indicates that it exploded in flight, at altitude. On board were 14 crew members, 108 members of the military and their families. The aircraft was flying between Myeik and Yangon when it disappeared.

Search crews have recovered 59 bodies so far, but have been battling storms since the crash. There was no bad weather reported anywhere near the flight path on the day of the crash. It's believed that Myanmar doesn't have the technology to recover data recorders from deep water, but they have refused multiple offers of assistance. They have a history of refusing outside assistance, regardless of the reason.

The Y-8 is a Chinese built version of the An-12. This particular aircraft is two years old, and had just over 800 hours on the airframe from the time it was built.

YANGON: Search crews in Myanmar have now recovered the bodies of nearly half of those who died in last week's military plane crash, the army said today.

The Chinese-made Shaanxi Y8 aircraft was carrying 122 people -- soldiers, crew members and children and other relatives of servicemen -- when it plunged into the Andaman Sea on Wednesday.

Navy ships and fishing vessels have been battling strong monsoon swells to find victims, with the army saying they had recovered 59 by today afternoon.

"The number of dead bodies found in total is now 59," the commander in chief's office said in a statement, adding 26 victims were pulled from the water today.

www.newindianexpress.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I blew up ? Like terrorism..........ugh......I hate these things, so sad.......or do you think it could have been shot down by a rocket or ground missle?

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Possibly sabotage, or a bomb. It could have been a mechanical problem, but one that makes the aircraft explode at altitude is extremely rare and not easy to have happen.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I have traveled in Myanmar, I'm not surprised they refuse outside help, I don't know what it's like these days but in 2002 I had guys in dodgy suits and trilby hats following me eveywhere, only specific guest houses I could stay at, citizens clearly scared talking to me. Prayers for the lost people, pity the government refuses outside help 15 years after I was there.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Myanmar style of governance resembles with the North Koreans. They always see conspiracies against them, deny outside assistance. Its really scary to even imagine what happens to the flight, may the departed souls rest in peace

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
An exploding turboprop can certainly do a lot of damage, as pieces of the turbine can shrapnel the fuselage, however there are so few occurrences of this kind of failure, that is it very unlikely. A bomb on board is much more likely. Sad indeed, and God rest their souls.

top topics

join