It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was admitted to the ER: here's how much it cost

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Let's play a simple game...you can peruse any of the links in this Google search that you would like to, and in return, you can provide proof to your claim/insinuation that big pharma (whom I will rarely ever defend) is dramatically raising bills simply based on the premise of "because they can."

That's not how debating, or discussing in this manner works. If you have a claim, provide evidence for it directly. If you don't have time to do so, don't enter the conversation. I'm not going to go out of my way to sift through information that you have already found. Simply post that information directly.

Well, I never claimed that it was free--no healthcare is free. Taxes, which are from one's income, pay for socialized services--that is not free, either. When my private insurance coverage pays 100% of something, my first though it now, "Wow, that was free!;' my first thought is, "Wow, I'm glad that all of these premiums that I'm paying are actually doing something."

Comparably, yes, it is free. When a person can save 10's of thousands of dollars, or hundreds of thousands by paying taxes that they would be paying anyway...

10% income tax, that's what I pay. I notice you still haven't specified what you pay. Someone else did, from the states, they said 12.5%. So not only does that person pay more for taxes than I do, but they don't get a universal healthcare system that pays for the majority of medical issues.

On top of that, Canada doesn't even have the best designed universal healthcare systems out of all the other first world countries that do. Many of them get more benefits, like paid prescription.

Where did you get an arbitrary $1,000 amount? Is there significance tied to that number?

No, there isn't a significance for it. I figured that, on an average wage, $1,000 for a medical bill is still very substantial. Especially considering when other countries wouldn't have to pay anything for the same service.

"Should cost" is a subjective opinion that I refuse to give in this matter, because it all depends on so many variables that it's impossible to give a "should-cost" amount, and anyone who is willing to give you some arbitrary number is guaranteed to be talking out of their ass basing their answer on nothing but hopes, dreams, and ideology.

I was looking for your opinion... that's why I asked.

Again, it never costs "nothing at all," so I would stop using that incorrect phrasing--it's misleading at best, and an intentional lie at worst to promote an ideological viewpoint.

Actually, it can.

My wife is aboriginal. She doesn't have to pay for anything at all, including all the things that I have to pay for for myself that aren't covered under Canada's universal healthcare system, AND my private insurance. On top of that, if she works on the reserve, she doesn't have to pay income tax.

Besides that, however. We have an issue where a member from the states pays 2.5% more taxes than I do, I don't know what GST you guys have down there, and I'm sure that changes per state, but I also only pay 5% for goods here too (although I don't believe that tax goes towards our healthcare system.

You keep making this same argument over and over again as if you can't simply admit this system is superior to the US' current situation regarding healthcare. I'm aware I have to pay taxes, I get it. I've already stated that many times. Why do you keep bringing it up?

As for the rest of your post, someone else has already addressed the issue.
edit on 6/6/17 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist
I know that this is a very late response (I've been on a vacation for the past three weeks), but I wanted to respond because you complimented me personally (thanks)--Yes, I am a veteran, but you are wrong in your assessment that I do not get free healthcare. I receive a 30% disability payment from my government for injuries/health issues incurred during and caused/exacerbated while I was on active duty. This gives me access to the VA healthcare system.

My disdain for a federally funded singer-payer healthcare system stems from my knowledge and direct interactions with the VA healthcare system. Generally speaking, I only use the VA, in general, to receive my asthma medications at no cost because my service caused me to have "dormant" asthma become a daily burden again, but I retain private health insurance and use it more often than the VA system, simply because of how broken and often terrible the service or care there is.

And to address your question as to what America is doing to cheapen our healthcare and health insurance costs, the answer is simple: It's doing exactly the opposite by getting the federal government involved.

Again, apologies for the late response, but I figured I'd acknowledge your intelligent and civil response with one, even if you don't feel a need to keep the discussion going.

Best Regards.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Hello. I'm just seeing your post now. My apologies for the late response as well. I have been away in Europe for the summer and hadn't logged into ATS for a couple months. Thank you for taking the time to respond and share quality information that helped me understand the issue deeper.

Live happy. Love more. Laugh loudly.

Involutionist

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I had a liver transplant last month with 12 days in the hospital. Zero out of pocket. Oh, I'm in Ontario.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I hope you are feeling better and well on your way to a full recovery, my fellow Ontarian.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I had two visits to the ER in April for heart attacks and stayed in for 5 days in total lots of xrays etc cost = 0
repeat visits plus loads of medication cost = 0 everything else is priceless ,

I really feel for members here getting stuck with huge medical bills after being ill , and i am glad i stay in a place where all this is free at point of service but we pay for all this on taxes , and the old saying that there is no such thing as a free meal .

But the medical care in my area is pretty useless it took 30 minutes+ for a ambulance to arrive when i had a major heart attack and the hospital is only 1.5 miles away , you get the feeling that the doctors get paid to push certain medications and they certainly do not read your notes as many a time i have had to pull doctors up after reading instructions that come with medication that say not for anyone with Liver problems but overall it gets the big thumbs up

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I had a liver transplant last month with 12 days in the hospital. Zero out of pocket. Oh, I'm in Ontario.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

I am so happy to hear this, I hope you make a quick recovery bro!!

Sincerely,
~meathead

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join