It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Hell...Let's Chat Abortion!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

There's a few lines of discussion I won't even get into. Honestly my biggest problem would be my tax dollars going to abortions.

If you choose to get one you should have to pay for it yourself.

Not to go off topic...but I thought about what you said. I do agree with tax dollars paying for NEEDED abortions. For example...rape, damaged fetus, sick fetus, the mother's life being at risk, etc. I don't believe that "birth control" abortions should be funded by tax dollars. Although...I do agree and know that in the long run, they probably save us money and the existence of more criminals and "users".

Very tough discussion and NOT for this thread.

Could not agree more

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I am pro choice also, it is one of the few issues that I tend to lean left on. There are many, many reasons a woman makes that choice and ultimately they are the ones who have to live with the decision.

What I would like to see changed is the fact that girls can have abortions without the parent's consent/knowledge. This I do not agree with, ever.

I would also like to see more counseling provided before and after the procedures. These are life changing experiences for many women and girls that affect many for the rest of their lives.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

Federal taxpayer funds should never be used for that purpose.

Per the 10th Amendment, if the people of a state decide they want to use state-collected funds to pay for abortion procedures, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

Philosophically, I wish the practice of abortion didn't exist. I wish there were no need for it. But it does exist, and it's not up to me or anyone else per the Constitution to tell a woman she can't have an abortion.

It is probably less costly for a woman to have a legal abortion than to

repair/or save the life of a woman who has gone through a *back street

abortion*.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Per the 10th Amendment, if the people of a state decide they want to use state-collected funds to pay for abortion procedures, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

Philosophically, I wish the practice of abortion didn't exist. I wish there were no need for it. But it does exist, and it's not up to me or anyone else per the Constitution to tell a woman she can't have an abortion.

abortion*.

That's what private charities are for.

Leftists need to stop demanding everyone else suspend their own values just so liberals can impose theirs.
edit on 2-6-2017 by SBMcG because: Liberalism is thievery.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulwaxer
Here's a thought: Many couples screen for down-syndrome during pregnancy, and if it is detected, opt for abortion. What they may not realise is the message they give to people with down-syndrome who weren't aborted: "You are not worthy of life."...

soulwaxer

That is a good point. What if there was a test for homosexuality or transgender and women started aborting such children. There would be A LOT of people rioting in the streets.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777

I am pro choice also, it is one of the few issues that I tend to lean left on. There are many, many reasons a woman makes that choice and ultimately they are the ones who have to live with the decision.

What I would like to see changed is the fact that girls can have abortions without the parent's consent/knowledge. This I do not agree with, ever.

I would also like to see more counseling provided before and after the procedures. These are life changing experiences for many women and girls that affect many for the rest of their lives.

The only thing I would add to your opinion is RESPONSIBLE parents. Many teenagers...probably more so pregnant ones, don't really have parents. Or at least not ones that would be an asset at that time.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

abortion*.

I don't mean to be rude, but the discussions here so far have been productive, peaceful and insightful. Yours really haven't. If you wish to contribute, your thoughts would be much more viable than your emotions...or anger.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Here's a thought: Many couples screen for down-syndrome during pregnancy, and if it is detected, opt for abortion. What they may not realise is the message they give to people with down-syndrome who weren't aborted: "You are not worthy of life."...
soulwaxer

Perhaps they are looking a the bigger picture .... some down-syndrome have

very severe problems, perhaps they have other children and feel they are unable

to cope with a child with disabilities, perhaps they are worried who will care for

their disabled child when it is an adult and they (in the natural order) die before

that child

Many couples break up caused by the added stress of a child with many special

needs.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

soulwaxer

Perhaps they are looking a the bigger picture .... some down-syndrome have

very severe problems, perhaps they have other children and feel they are unable

to cope with a child with disabilities, perhaps they are worried who will care for

their disabled child when it is an adult and they (in the natural order) die before

that child

Many couples break up caused by the added stress of a child with many special

needs.

Nice
I take back my previous comment.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

abortion*.

Leftists need to stop demanding everyone else suspend their own values just so liberals can impose theirs.

Sorry we are at cross purposes here .....

two different countries? different systems!

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

abortion*.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding...but...where are you from?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Someone here just said something quite on topic.

"An abortion without regret is like shooting an attacker without remorse"

I would say a fair comparison. Appreciate the sadness of the abortion just as much as you shouldn't cheer killing another person. There may be a need for it...but you don't have to enjoy it...or pretend it doesn't matter.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Abortion is a violent horrible primitive act.

But it's legal.

*shrugs*

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
My girlfriend was raped and yeah, don't need to explain everything to get the picture.

It tickles my belly a certain way when complete strangers shoot off their voicebox about how she should've just carried the baby and gave birth because, yannow, it's her fault that she was raped against her will. And she should be forced to carry and mother a child she did not want, yannow, because she was raped, because abortion is wrong, a mistake, blah blah blah.

It makes me full of happiness and neatness when complete strangers shoot off their voicebox about how I should be a father of a child that was invented through non-consenetual rape (it happened before I met her, FYI).

It makes me full of joy when people belittle my girlfriend for trying to "escape responsibility," of having a child because she was raped.

For how often people whine and complain about abortion, I don't see the adequate and equal response regarding sick #s who rape women and get them pregnant. I also don't see people whining and complaining about starving children in America, either.

OP - you say abortion is a bad choice to a worse problem?

Like I said - it tickles my belly when people look at my girlfriend as the culprit and the "bad guy," here for not giving birth and mothering a child to a rapist.

Up is down and down is up. We live in such a backwards world.

It's cool if you rape a girl and get her pregnant, but that girl better not contemplate abortion because it's wrong and reasons.

Missed your post earlier. I would never say an unkind word to the victim of a rape. That is a more that reasonable reason for an abortion. And...the very, very, very late-term abortion of the rapist. The ONLY thing worse than a rapist is a child molester in my book. I used to say that we should be able to designate a person as non-human for certain crimes. These are perfect examples. Once you go this far...this far off of humanity...you are no longer human...you no longer deserve rights. You are more deserving of death than a roach on the wall.

Sorry...rape and any crime against a child is (to me) in human.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

abortion*.

UK

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I am a true Independent. And a woman that was raised Catholic. I am spiritual but not particularly religious.
IMO it is the woman’s body and life and belief system, and she and only she, has the right to do what she feels is best.

Abortion is nothing to be praised, fought or shouted about…maybe if people just kept their mouth’s shut (on either side) the abortion issue would solve itself.

The World has forgotten privacy/intimacy and not everything needs to be photographed, talked about and documented.

OMG it is crazy out there...

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Abortion is a violent horrible primitive act.

But it's legal.

*shrugs*

Yes...yes it is. But I kind of know you. There are always exceptions. I remember a cartoon from decades ago...two panels. In one is an older woman holding a sign saying "ABORTION IS MURDER". In the second panel, the woman is joined by an obviously pregnant daughter. Her sign now says "PRO-CHOICE".

We are interesting creatures. We love a quick fix to a symptom but loath a long process to correct the problem. I remember being 28 and having my first child. There was a time during those first few, sleepless nights when I went outside for a smoke muttering to myself "I didn't want this...I didn't need this...I was happy before this" to myself. I was 28 making 100k in NJ (a lot at the time) in a 3000 sq foot house backing up to a golf course. And I had concerns about our choice. I can imagine how a 20k earning mother who lives in Chicago feels. Well...no I can't. But I'll accept it.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Sense we are on the subject why does the father not have any right to this choice?

It's his child as much as it is hers.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

abortion*.

UK

Cheers!!! I'm surprised how much I thought the USA and the UK where alike until I actually conversed with people from "your side of the pond". We are probably very alike people living in very different circumstances. I remember once being in a conversation related to rioting. There were the usual racist comments as the situation was mostly a black related issue (no point in going into details). Anyway...after chatting with this person, they hadn't realized how race is really an issue here in the USA...and truthfully...more of an issue from the black side than the white. An interesting conversation that educated me. But what I see in America may exist in the UK...but that doesn't mean the details are the same...or even close.

Regardless...I have and will always view the UK and the USA as brothers (or sisters

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173

I am a true Independent. And a woman that was raised Catholic. I am spiritual but not particularly religious.
IMO it is the woman’s body and life and belief system, and she and only she, has the right to do what she feels is best.

Abortion is nothing to be praised, fought or shouted about…maybe if people just kept their mouth’s shut (on either side) the abortion issue would solve itself.

The World has forgotten privacy/intimacy and not everything needs to be photographed, talked about and documented.

OMG it is crazy out there...

I was raised Roman Catholic. Big church, fancy windows, etc. I was taught that what the Priest said God said was law. That lasted until about sixteen.
I don't believe in "God" but really hope he or she exists. But I believe in us...me...you. I think we are children that are still learning how to walk. I believe we will make mistakes which is required to grow.

Abortion isn't really a big topic for me. Surprise! Responsibility and the value of all life is. I don't believe in man-made climate change...but I believe we don't protect the Earth well enough. I don't believe in religion...but will fight to protect one's right to do so. I believe most of us can get along. I also believe some of us are here to make sure we don't for their personal benefit.

I believe one day, we could be "God". I doubt we will make it that far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join