It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Failure of the US Army Aviation's helicopter attack mission over Karbala

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 04:52 AM
link   
"The AD-64D Apache Longbow is the most lethal, survivable, deployable and maintainable multimission helicopter in the world."
Quoted from *

Sounds as if lessons we not learned, hopefully we don't run out of choppers before they adapt.

Here's a Link

Does any one remember how much those things costs?

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I really don't think it was a case of "lessons not learned" Advisor. I think it was a case of poor leadership and use of helicopter battlefield tactics. May even have been a case of over confidence.

I'm almost willing to bet that 'whoever' or 'whomever' was in charge of this 'operation' was given a serious a$$ chewing.

In light of the info given by the article: "Apache operations over Karbala", one concern I have of the 'tactics' that the Apache's "having a tendency to come to a hover and stop before shooting." I don't know if this is a requirement for firing the Hellfire, but I know that it is a tactic that was derived from Cold War strategy of 'hiding and then poping up; firing and then dropping back out of sight or moving.' This tactic/strategy worked well during the 1st GW and I find it hard to believe it could not have worked with the operations in or around Karbala. The US Army may want to think of modifying this so as to allow for targeting and firing while continuing to move.

Just my uneducated guess.

Oh, as to price...... no telling, I can't place a $ amount but it can be certainly found. Your point though is well said.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You are right, Advisor:

"The AD-64D Apache Longbow is the most lethal, survivable, deployable and maintainable multimission helicopter in the world."

The AH-64D LONGBOW is indeed highly lethal.
Back in the first gulf war, they didn't have the D version yet.
The 4 million dollar radardome on top of the Longbow enhances it's security, for it doesn't need to move in so close to the target. It can fire the hellfire missile from more than 7 kilometers away.

join