It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Cyclists Stopped By Police

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The video speaks for itself.

The cyclists are riding two abreast, chatting and listening to music.

A police motorcyclist pulls in front of them.

0:10 "I'm going to enjoy this."

0:20 A van passes followed by the rest of the vehicles that were held up behind them.

0:33 "I just checked behind us, I checked behind us a minute ago, no one there."

Video at this link. www.cyclingweekly.com...

This is the comment I come closest to agreeing with.

Seeker Trudy • 8 days ago

There is a clearly a division of opinion here, which convinces me even further that the cyclist vs motorist war, is far from over. I have tried to be a better, more conscientious driver for cyclists, I have been painstakingly patient for cyclists, I have shared the road graciously. Yet when cyclists chose to disregard that safety factor, which I believe is the key to successfully sharing the road, and adopt the "because I can" mentality, I lose all respect.

When motorists lose respect due to the actions of inconsiderate cyclists, other cyclists are put at risk in retaliation. Why should considerate cyclists be put at risk by motorists who have been deliberately wound up by cyclists who enjoy nitpicking legal arguments? There's enough risk from careless drivers, we don't need the risk to be increased by cyclists like this who are common in my area. They must be picking up their brainwashing from somewhere. What happened to common sense?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
That police officer made himself look incompetent and petty by not knowing the law and taking the names of someone who had not actually broken any law. Don't get me wrong, the cyclists were being arrogant and irresponsible by riding two abreast on that busy road, but an advisory chat would have served the situation more effectively and would have likely resulted in co-operation. There are dickheads on two wheels and four unfortunately.
edit on 28-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

There are some shall we say cycle nazi's who do go out to try and cause much trouble as possible and with helm-cams guess what everyones suddenly a youtube star.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I eventually stopped cycling on the road because I came to the realisation that I was either going to die by some idiot motorist, or wind up in prison because of what I had done to some idiot motorist. I got to the point where I was carrying weapons to defend myself and concluded that if I carried on cycling I would most likely use them, so I stopped.
a reply to: Maxatoria

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, at least here in the states, cycling on the open road has become dangerous and I am in a very sparsely populated state. Back in the 90's and early 00's it wasn't that big of a deal but towards 2010 it was like people morphed and are a lot more aggressive now. The last time when I got buzzed by a large truck I said enough is enough.

When I rode, even with a group, it was always with respect to motorists. Always single file or in a pace line to defeat the non stop wind in this state. I don't understand where the aggression comes from.

Thank goodness we have an awesome 20 mile circular bike trail that I exclusively ride on now. I just don't have the low hanging appendages to play that game anymore.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

It's more about etiquette really, if the road is empty then by all means ride 2 abreast, if you hear a vehicle then go single file if it's not coming from the opposite way or it's not visible

It's really not that difficult

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Gah, only got as far as his smug 'we can ride two abrest' nonsense before having to turn it off. I'm an avid cycler and completely agree with you, even the police biker seems seriously pissed off with them right from the start and struggling to maintain his composure.

it's clearly a busy road with I guess 40mph limit so they were not only breaking the law but causing a major obstruction which also raises the risk of others having accidents as a result - tbh I didn't think two-abrest was even legal as I've never done it and only seen others doing it on proper back lanes.

I don't even bother undertaking on bike lanes when cars are stuck in traffic these days as I realised that all I'm doing is winding them up and creating a hazard puttting myself at harm by forcing them ro overtake me again shortly afterwards.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is why we need a UK forum. Globally speaking this thread...

edit on 28-5-2017 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
This is why we need a UK forum. Globally speaking this thread...

I suppose you're right, but don't you find it fun when someone assumes your an American and you dazzle them with your innate superiority.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria

There are some shall we say cycle nazi's who do go out to try and cause much trouble as possible and with helm-cams guess what everyones suddenly a youtube star.

Spot on. It's people, right? A cyclist is as much a bag of traits as a driver and therefore highly likely to be equally represented on the 'Asshole' scattergram.

I'll go so far as saying I sincerely believe the roads are where trolls got their kicks before the internet offered more wide-scale negative attention.

Ever been behind the guy who drives really slowly and then speeds up on the straights to prevent anyone overtaking them? Or the arse who overtakes on the motorway and drops in front only to slow down and make you have to speed up and overtake them? What do they do when you pull out to overtake? They gradually match speed to be awkward lol. Trolling buggers.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Roads, the place where people troll when they are not on the internet. You have really got something there.
a reply to: Kandinsky

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Cyclists are becoming a real nuisance in the UK. They have as much right to use the roads as cars but they are so often ridden by idiots. Riding in groups of 20 on Sundays, all 2 abreast, never any attempt to let traffic past.
Others pulling out in front of cars on roundabouts etc. I am amazed more don't die.
I see cars overtake one and deliberately drench cyclists in windscreen washer fluid or give the cyclists a big dose of diesel fumes to choke on. That's not right either. It just shows frustration.

edit on 28-5-2017 by SoEpic because: Typo

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Spot on. It's people, right? A cyclist is as much a bag of traits as a driver and therefore highly likely to be equally represented on the 'Asshole' scattergram.

And cyclists must follow the "highway code" just like motorvehicles do. Would it be OK or legal for two small cars to drive two abreast while wearing headphones and chatting? I think not.

Cyclists need to ride defensively without tempting fate or being a pain in the arse.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Roads, the place where people troll when they are not on the internet. You have really got something there.

The idea struck me like lightning a couple of years ago. Trolls weren't born with the internet, they've been lurking and assholing since we walked the prairies. The internet has only freed them.

ETA - @Nerbot - I agree. There's a time to ride two abreast and some of them don't get it. I don't see drivers or cyclists being worse then each other.

edit on 5.28.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I eventually stopped cycling on the road because I came to the realisation that I was either going to die by some idiot motorist, or wind up in prison because of what I had done to some idiot motorist. I got to the point where I was carrying weapons to defend myself and concluded that if I carried on cycling I would most likely use them, so I stopped.
a reply to: Maxatoria

I eventually gave up trying to walk home from work because the pedestrian paths next to the A class road (sometimes one lane, somtimes two lanes) where being used as de facto bicycle lanes by cyclists whizzing along. Regardless of whether they rang their bells, shouted insults or just whizzed by silently, it still made me jump.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It seems that even the 'avid bikers' on here don't know why cyclists ride two abreast? It's because it takes twice as long for a car to overtake when they're riding in single file than when they're riding two abreast.It is considered safer to get the over taking over and done with if it's done in half the time irrespective of whether you have to get further across the centre line road markings to do so.
Last time I looked this up the Highway Code specifies NOT MORE THAN TWO ABREAST,this hasn't changed recently has it?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
It's because it takes twice as long for a car to overtake when they're riding in single file than when they're riding two abreast.It is considered safer to get the over taking over and done with if it's done in half the time irrespective of whether you have to get further across the centre line road markings to do so.

Sorry, but I think your logic is seriously flawed.

A car passing two cyclists riding side by side is FAR more dangerous, not to mention inconvenient, to all the road users than any number of cyclists riding single file. Vehicles will not have to slow down or make a near miss pass.

Get real!

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

It's also a sensible strategy on winding country lanes. Some drivers get impatient and overtake too closely with bends approaching. By going two abreast, it restricts reckless drivers from overtaking and potentially having to move inwards to avoid oncoming traffic.

Some are simply oblivious and enjoy chatting while 20 cars are strung out behind them doing 15mph. Even tractors pull over to avoid impeding the flow of traffic.

I blame Wiggins.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Honestly it's refreshing to see cyclists pulled on behaviour like this. Far too many times a driver has to risk on-coming traffic just to continue on their way.

The arrogance and complete ignorance puts more lives at risk on the road. Never understood how cyclists get an attitude when they get buzzed or abused after they've made dozens of people suffer their choice.
edit on 28-5-2017 by Kostafa because: Spelling... silly mobile

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

That's part of the problem I think, when it comes to cyclists justifying this to themselves (or more often as an excuse). Safer for them, but more dangerous for the majority of people using the road.

Have to suffer them or risk your life trying to get around them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join