It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaffetz to resign, raising doubts about Trump probe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

ALPINE, Utah — Rep. Jason Chaffetz announced Thursday he will resign from Congress next month, saying a “mid-life crisis” had compelled him to step away from his chairmanship of the House Oversight Committee just as it is poised to investigate President Donald Trump’s firing of the FBI director.

I don't know about any of you, but this smells funny to me. It's certainly possible he is experiencing such a crisis at this moment. I don't know, maybe I've got my tinhat on a little to snugly, but something pings my radar here.

The rest of the article is full of the latest WaPo spin and slurry I won't bother quoting from, but they were the first source google news gave me for this story...go figure.

Washington Post

Chaffetz's own words:

Dear 3rd District Constituents:

Serving you in the U.S. House of Representatives for nearly nine years has been a rare honor and privilege. When I first ran for Congress in 2008 I promised I would get in, serve, and get out. I told voters I did not believe Congress should be a lifetime career. I knew from day one that my service there would not last forever.

As you know, after careful consideration and long discussion with my wife, Julie, we agree the time has come for us to move on from this part of our life. This week I sent a letter to Governor Herbert indicating my intention to resign from Congress effective June 30, 2017.

My life has undergone some big changes over the last 18 months. Those changes have been good. But as I celebrated my 50th birthday in March, the reality of spending more than 1,500 nights away from my family over eight years hit me harder than it had before.

Julie and I have been married for over 26 years. We have three wonderful children. Two of our children got married over the past 18 months – each having found an amazing spouse. I couldn’t be more proud of them. Our oldest son recently graduated from the University of Utah and his wife from BYU. In August, they will move out of state for law school. Our daughter, who attended UVU, married a great young man who found a terrific job two time zones away. Our youngest daughter remains at home attending high school, but soon she, too, will spread her wings and set off on her life’s path. Julie and I are facing the reality of being empty nesters. All of us, it appears, are ready to begin a new chapter.

I’ve slept on a cot in my office largely to save money for the Chaffetz family, but also to remind myself that my service there was temporary. Though the time away and the travel have been a sacrifice, our family has always been united that public service was the right thing to do. We feel my time in congress has been well spent, but it now seems the right time to turn the page.

I have very much enjoyed serving, but never for a moment have I thought that I was indispensable. I know others can and should serve. The House is known as the “People’s House” because it is made up of a cross section of ordinary Americans who represent almost every walk of life - as it should be. While remaining true to my principles I have made the effort to “reach across the aisle.” I count many Democratic members as my friends. I hope whoever replaces me will do even better.

I would be remiss not to mention the great men and women who have served in my office, both in Washington and here in the District. They have worked hard to serve our constituents and have made me look good too many times to mention. I will miss our association. Their commitment and dedication remind me every day of why this nation will remain the strongest and most free in history.

I recognize that very few people get the opportunity you’ve given me; I will be forever grateful for the trust and confidence voters placed in me to serve five terms in the U.S. Congress. I have no doubt you will select a great new representative for Utah’s 3rd Congressional District. Thank you for allowing me to serve.

Best wishes,
Jason Chaffetz

What says ATS?
edit on 18-5-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Sounds like his letter is heartfelt. My spidey-senses didn't go off.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Jason Chaffetz is a tool. He's been on Trump's sac since day one and will continue to hand on aforementioned sac until his resignation takes effect.

Shocker that he is casting 'doubt' on the investigation while at the same time electing to bow out of the Congressional lime light.

There's gonna be some serious crow to eat from the Trump support squad. Sooner than later.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I have mixed feelings about Chaffetz. I think he could have been more effective on the House Oversight Committee....and that's putting it mildly.

I think he is vulnerable...maybe even blackmailable or just mired-down in (covering up) all the corruption.

The last couple of years have been f**king nuts.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I dont know why anyone gets into politics. Besides.. making a lot of money and not working for it.

Lazy mothersuckers is all they are.

Takes a lot of talent to sit behind a desk and argue with the opposition.

They all have it rough.

I hope they all step down

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Any true red blooded american, one who loves his country will agree that the founding fathers never intended for one political group to have as much power as the republicans have right now. Lets hope that his set is filled by a dem or independent. Congress needs balance.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Chavettz doesn't want to be in charge of policing his own party.

Nows a good time to get out.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

bleh. The two party system is an abomination. I feel like the Democrats have as much power as ever thanks to the media.

Both parties suck...no good reason to look to one of them to remedy anything.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I feel about this yet but the timing is interesting.

Suddenly giving up right after saying he was ready to get the infamous Comey "memo"...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Right?

He had his "subpoena pen ready"!!! One day later: I quit, guys.

GOP is realizing that their boy is going to sink them all. Jason Chaffetz may just be the first one to abandon ship.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sounds like a politician who is tired of politics. Imagine that.

It is certainly ascertainable to draw from this that he's opting out before the S really hits the fan.

End of the day they are still people and they can only take so much.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Politicians = tv preachers.

Lowest of the low.

Worlds largest cons.

Disgusting.

Soon as enough people wake up, they both will be finished.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I agree that it sounds heartfelt.

HOWEVER.

It is not unusual that realisations about life, home, family and freetime are lead on by something at work.

I think something happened at work.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

This has been rumored for awhile now. He's planning to run for governor of Utah and very likely with his youngest leaving for college this year wants to spend some time traveling with his wife. www.cbsnews.com...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

That's what made my ears perk up a bit.

All things considered, he certainly didn't give the impression of wanting to step down with what is in process right now.

I agree with MotherMayEye, both parties have been a cancer to our nation and have become so entrenched that they've made themselves synonymous with America in many people's minds. They are not America. America is We the People, and we are getting fed up with what a mess both sides have made.

The founding fathers never meant for congress to be a full time job, if you took a poll of what their trades were, very few of them were lawyers. Compare that to how many of the legal profession we have in there now and you might be surprised.

a reply to: AnonyMason

I wouldn't say that Chaffetz himself is throwing as much shade as the WaPo is, here is his quote in full:

“I kind of had a little bit of a midlife crisis. I turned 50, I’m sleeping on a cot,” Chaffetz said of his life as a congressman in Washington. “The overwhelming driving force is the idea that I just love my family. And a lot of people will never ever believe that, but that is the truth.”

source is OP link

Bezos' paper is adding the extra oomph to give it that anti-Trump tarnish.

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ah, that does clear things up a bit. I can see what you're saying.
edit on 18-5-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
They are not America. America is We the People, and we are getting fed up with what a mess both sides have made.

We are sick of it.

The founding fathers never meant for congress to be a full time job, if you took a poll of what their trades were, very few of them were lawyers. Compare that to how many of the legal profession we have in there now

Very relevant to the current day " crisis" in Washington.
Lawyers....think they are above the law.
edit on 18-5-2017 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I agree that it sounds heartfelt.

HOWEVER.

It is not unusual that realisations about life, home, family and freetime are lead on by something at work.

I think something happened at work.

It's possible... But something is always happening at work for those people.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Saddened to hear that.
2nd line.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Watch for an EO in the next week requiring every sitting senator and congressman, every white house staff member and all appointees, to go through an ethics (financial and otherwise) review or examination. All the rats might start jumping ship lol

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/19.2017 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Somehow, someway, somebody got to this kid and ran him out town on a rail.
Nobody and I mean nobody gives up that kinda power inside the beltway voluntarily.

Buck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join