It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Docs Try to Treat Mermaid Syndrome Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
A nine-month-old baby girl who was born with fused legs, a rare condition known as sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome," will undergo surgery to separate her legs. Because this condition is usually associated with internal organ abnormalities, children born with this condition almost never survive more than a few days. This child's internal organs are normal, except that she has only one kidney. The operation will take five hours and future operations will be needed to correct the orientation of her feet and to reconstruct her genitalia.

www.comcast.net
A Peruvian medical team is preparing for pioneering surgery to separate the fused legs of a 9-month-old girl born with a rare condition known as sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome."

Milagros Cerron, who has fused legs but separated feet, is one of very few people in the world with the condition, doctors say.

A team of doctors will attempt to free her legs from each other on Feb. 24. at one of Lima's charity hospitals for the poor, said lead surgeon Luis Rubio on Thursday.

"This is a child that has her own personality," he said in an interview with the Associated Press. "Her relation to her surroundings is good. She babbles words. She is enchanting and is a wonderful joy."

The girl was born in the mountain city of Huancayo, 125 miles east of the capital, Lima. Almost none of the children born with this condition survives more than several days because of defects to their internal organs, Rubio said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Considering the state of the surgical arts in this day and age and the condition of this child's internal organs, it sounds as though she has a fighting chance to overcome this condition. Cases like this are always emotionally laden because of the vulnerabliity of the children and the fears that all prospective parents have regarding the health of their expected children. We can all hope that this child will have a happy and rewarding future.

Related News Links:
www.wjla.com

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Wow, I've never heard of that before. And even the feet are left seperate. What would a corpse of someone with that look like? Might be very convincing as a mermaid remains or something.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wow you are a terrible terrible person!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5

Why? I think it's highly plausible that is where the Mermaid myth stems from. Some one a long time ago finds a corpse of someone with the syndrome, mistakes it for something its not and calls it a MerMaid. I know oversimplification but it makes sense.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Choosing to not coment on the coments made thus far.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the child and her family.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Yes, but whats this news article got to do with it?

Obviously its not the most 'sensitive' thing to have stated.

Are you going to cry about it or something?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is quite an interesting story - I had never heard of such a disease myself....Very sad - Hopefully the surgery will go well....

I don't see what's so damn terrible about Nygdan's comment.....I've seen far worse on this board

Originally posted by Nygdan
What would a corpse of someone with that look like?

I'm not sure it could explain the mermaid myth, as most of these children die shortly after birth....but if you're interested in what some of the corpses, and other babies with this deformity look like, (*warning - not for the quezy of stomach*) the check out this Google image search

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was only considering it speculatively, in so far as it providing a real world basis for the mermaid myth. IF the leg bones are fused together, I'd think that it could reasonably provide such a basis.

But no I'm not actually wanting to look at dead babies today.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

From the Sun
The nine-day-old tot was born with sirenomelia, also called mermaid syndrome, in Lima, Peru.

It is caused by compression in the womb, which also affects the kidneys and bladder.

It is not yet possible to establish the child’s gender.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain

It is caused by compression in the womb, which also affects the kidneys and bladder.

I doubt it. There are epidemics of this kind of thing going on now, in animals too. Much more to this story than hits the mainstream press.

FYI - when kids inherit prion diseases from a parent, this is the kind of thing that happens.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think it is very fortunate that the parents want to correct this. The survival of thes children isnt great though. I hope this baby will pull through.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It may have pushed the myth that Mermaids can become human and their children are born half-and-half and all other sorts of junk.
Still not fun to go through.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Doctors in Peru say they have successfully separated the legs of a baby girl dubbed "little mermaid" because she was born with legs fused from her thighs to her ankles.

News Link

Looks like she,s going to pull through.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Defying odds bordering on miraculous Milagros may be able to walk on her own by the end of the year. Despite the fact she will need approximately ten more years of various therapies, the outlook is very good. She may be only the second person to survive the surgery to seperate her fused legs and misformed feet.

CNN Link

LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Smiling, blowing kisses and taking small assisted steps, Peru's "miracle baby" celebrated her second birthday Thursday, nearly a year after doctors successfully performed risky surgery to separate her fused legs.

Milagros Cerron, whose name means "miracles" in Spanish, was born with a rare congenital defect known as sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome."

The condition is almost always fatal, but Milagros has not only survived but also grown into an alert, vivacious little girl who can pull herself from a seated to a standing position

Her mother says she is doing great and developing just like other children. With an ever growing vocabulary of a developing two year old, her mother, of course, still remembers her first word... 'doctor'.

new topics

top topics

join