It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Competency Based Education vs Traditional Education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What is competency based education?

You're favorite

Competency-based learning or competency-based education and training is an approach to teaching and learning more often used in learning concrete skills than abstract learning.

Competency based learning IMO is what all of our educations should be. Not abstract idealistic test results driven social constructs thought up in the early 1900's.

Competency-based learning is learner‑focused and works naturally with independent study and with the instructor in the role of facilitator. Learners often find different individual skills more difficult than others. This learning method allows a student to learn those individual skills they find challenging at their own pace, practising and refining as much as they like. Then, they can move rapidly through other skills to which they are more adept.

Any cirriculum that caters to the will and desires of the individual is going to produce the best results. By best results I do not mean the most people completing the programs but what I mean is that the quality of the people who do complete the programs will be to a much higher degree as desire will be playing the biggest roll in the outcome of the individual.

7 Competency based institutions of learning

Purdue
U of Michigan
U of Wisconsin
WGU
Southern New Hampshire U
Capella U
Northern Arizona U

This recent shift in thought IMO is due to the lack of skills of those graduating from the modern education system and the need for something more skills driven. I would like to see our accreditation system totally revamped from grade 1 through your degree program.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
What is competency based education?

You're favorite

It's Your favorite not You're favorite.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The work needs to be challenging enough so students don't get bored. But not too challenging so they do not become discouraged. The Goldilocks point is different for each student. And each students Goldilocks changes over time. We need adaptive AI learning systems to maximize education rates.

edit on 11-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JugHead
You seem to "educated" to understand, what was being said. But thanks for the input. We will take note.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I did that on poorpose.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The work needs to be challenging enough so students don't get bored. But not too challenging so they do not become discouraged. The Goldilocks point is different for each student. And each students Goldilocks changes over time. We need adaptive AI learning systems to maximize education rates.

Maybe, I like that the competency model offers guided learning, I think this is going to be very effective, especially for people like me.
edit on 11-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
Nope! It ain't even as dumb as you make it sound. There is a right and a wrong. A right way to do things and a wrong way. There's "education" and experience. There's "knowledge" and knowing. Knowledge and wisdom. Not the same! Competency only comes from "doing". That's why the "Highly Educated Doctors" have "internships". So them "educated" boys/girls don't just read them "trouble shooting manuals" and do stupid sh**!

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Today's universities do not educate.

They indoctrinate.

Totally incompetent, no matter how they label it...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
a reply to: dfnj2015
Nope! It ain't even as dumb as you make it sound. There is a right and a wrong. A right way to do things and a wrong way. There's "education" and experience. There's "knowledge" and knowing. Knowledge and wisdom. Not the same! Competency only comes from "doing". That's why the "Highly Educated Doctors" have "internships". So them "educated" boys/girls don't just read them "trouble shooting manuals" and do stupid sh**!

We are talking about methods of learning. If you can't see the truth in my post then you are not listening to what people do when they are learning.

I found from personal experience when I listened or read about something I knew it at one level. When I wrote about it my level of understanding was much better. But what I found that gave me the most insight and the deepest understanding of any topic was teaching it.

How about you? What is your best method for learning?

edit on 12-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Today's universities do not educate.

They indoctrinate.

Totally incompetent, no matter how they label it...

This is simply not true. People get out of the college experience exactly what they put into it. Professors don't care if you even attend class. It's your tuition money. It's your responsibility to get good education.

I think the problem we have today is too many people are so busy labeling each other all we have is division in this country. At some point there will be a reckoning for the labeling madness. I imagine as wealth inequality continues to expand at some point people will start rioting much more than they do now.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

We are talking about methods of learning. If you can't see the truth in my post then you are not listening to what people do when they are learning.

I found from personal experience when I listened or read about something I knew it at one level. When I wrote about it my level of understanding was much better. But what I found that gave me the most insight and the deepest understanding of any topic was teaching it.

How about you? What is your best method for learning?

I want to believe there's something to this, but I've seen so many people who are clearly just not classroom material make the argument. I think more people should go to college, and they should graduate but my personal observations are that a large chunk of society develops senioritis, burns out on school, and claims it's the system that's wrong rather than their own unwillingness to participate in it.

Can you convince me, or even make some points otherwise?

This is simply not true. People get out of the college experience exactly what they put into it. Professors don't care if you even attend class. It's your tuition money. It's your responsibility to get good education.

I think the problem we have today is too many people are so busy labeling each other all we have is division in this country. At some point there will be a reckoning for the labeling madness. I imagine as wealth inequality continues to expand at some point people will start rioting much more than they do now.

This is total BS. Yes, some professors don't care about attendance, but the fact that the vast majority don't is a total myth. Every professor has their own style to get people to attend class, here's some of the ones I've personally experienced
2 free absences, -1% of total grade for each missed attendance after
20% of grade, docked proportionally to number of classes missed
Scaled help in office hours to how much you attend
6 free absences, -1 letter grade per miss after that
Daily quiz worth 15% of final grade, no make up for missed days

Basically, you have the option to not attend, but every professor sets up some sort of system so that you will do much worse (if pass at all) if you don't attend.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

So there is only one way to learn and if people don't learn that way they are losers or burnouts??

I happen to excel in the competency based training and in the IT world the competency based educations come with the important certifications for specialization that employers find very valuable to prove your competency.
edit on 12-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
So there is only one way to learn and if people don't learn that way they are losers or burnouts??

I happen to excel in the competency based training and in the IT world the competency based educations come with the important certifications for specialization that employers find very valuable to prove your competency.

No.

I have no problem with learning, if you've read some of my other posts, I actually think we need more compulsory years of education in the system.

One of the big problems I have though is people who confuse being educated for having job training. College should not be where you learn job skills. It's for learning reasoning, logic skills, leadership practice, social skills, and so on. I'm much more supportive of general education classes and liberal arts educations in college than I am specific job training, outside of some specific academic disciplines (and I have a much more narrow definition of that than most colleges do).

Professions can teach however they wish. I would suggest they do it in a way appropriate to their job. In IT for example, certifications make sense. In CS they don't, neither would you certify an arts major in painting or sculpture, or a business major in knowing how to read a spreadsheet. Certifications mainly work for specific brands or narrow applications... you're certified in CPR not being a surgeon, or back to the business major they might hold a MS Office cert, or the art major an Adobe cert.

And the best way to learn honestly, is to know your limitations and work within them. There is a lot of stuff out there that I fully admit I am incapable of learning. When I recognize something like that, I go look for another way, or improvise my own answer. I don't sit there and study.
edit on 12-5-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Of course you did...cough.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Now we have the main problem for students. It is originality. Some people could say that it is easily to get inspiration and write the origina text, but i'm not agree with them. Wikipedia says "About 85 % of students are using borrowed texts and materials..." (en.wikipedia.org...). Nowadays information is everywhere, and of course you may use not your own thoughts.
I am a student of marketing course, and its very hard to write dissertation and don't use information from the internet. I always use free online plagiarism checker for students with percentage ( 123-helpme.com...), cause its very helpful to find borrowed things in your writing and made them correct.
edit on 19-1-2018 by Histedied because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join