It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures, the new letters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I wrote a snail mail letter to my mother recently and then transferred the idea to texts.
Last couple of days I've replied to everyone who has texted me with a photo of a hand written note, with stickman drawings, smiley faces and every other way I can communicate through the medium of pencil and paper.

I feel I've broken free of the digital order, my handwriting, my drawings, and all the other idiosyncratic things a pen or pencil can create, answering a digital text, then photographed on macro setting and sent as an image.

I can write faster than my thumb can text, think I'll run with this and I hope others do lol
...not my most intellectually questioning post, and my thread management may be crap, but everyone likes a hand written letter...even if it is delivered as an image.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I love this idea. I too write faster than I can type or text. Got a built in spell checker too that rarely suggests the word DUCK. In recent years children are no longer taught handwriting and even more so cannot read or write a signature. Thumbs up for combining a sadly dying language art with modern technology.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Meh...i text with Google Voice typing.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

It has been lovely pen and pencil to paper time.
Some replies have been just drawings though, kinda like original unique emojies in the medium of crap art lol

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
Got a built in spell checker too that rarely suggests the word DUCK.

Ha ha!!

Mine suggests Duck so much, I occasionally miss it and post to various social media sites.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: AccessDenied

It has been lovely pen and pencil to paper time.
Some replies have been just drawings though, kinda like original unique emojies in the medium of crap art lol

What's that old saying?

Be careful what you wish for.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've never used a voice app thingy.
I'm no luddite though just never used it.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Fahrenheit 451 1966, a prescient story of a society that destroys all
printed words in favor of cartoons.

The newspapers are entirely cartoons and you risk death if you have a book.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I was trying to think of a way to undermine Net-non-Neutrality. I think you could be on to something!

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatHappened

Cartoons have their place in communication but I agree the written word is more dramatic.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Driving made me learn to use it. Especially because i have no spatial intelligence and need to be able to navigate with my phone on the fly.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
How very "Alton Brown" of you!

The Food Network guy has done this for quite a while.
It's a great idea if you have a smart phone camera handy.
I'm all thumbs.

ganjoa

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Last couple of days I've replied to everyone who has texted me with a photo of a hand written note, with stickman drawings, smiley faces and every other way I can communicate through the medium of pencil and paper.

That's cool and interesting.

I'm not sure what kind of device you use, but one thing I found cool with the newest mobile iOS is the ability to "write" in one's own handwriting on the screen and send it as an image.

ETA:

I've always been a fan of longhand. Something about it just seems more right, that my creativity, thoughts, and expression can flow better and less impeded through physical writing.
edit on 11-5-2017 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to: SirHardHarry

Just pen and paper

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Considering it, not an app, but actual computer software. For writing like this, I have no trouble composing, but when I come up with stories in my head, they are exclusively pictorial, and for some reason, I cannot get started converting those into the written word, but I *can* tell the story that goes with them verbally.

So ... thinking about using voice-to-text to get me started.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

I haven't heard of the mobile system but you've reminded me of the late 90's when I paid to have a font made out of my handwriting lol.
Full upper and lower case, oh I wish I still had that old desktop still. It was really strange seeing my own style as I typed.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That seems a fantastic idea for getting started.
Like an old school dicta phone but it does the typing for you.
A close friend is really dyslexic so sends all his texts by voice recognition, I always wonder how it understands his strong northern English accent lol

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

Camera phones have changed the world for sure.
I'm in construction and take many pictures to prove work done, and avoid spurious law suits.
A friend was sued maliciously regarding an allegation that something fell of scaffolding.
No chance with me, I photograph every level at the end of each day.

Pity we need to take such precautions but great we have the tools to protect ourselves.

...as an aside, who's old enough to remember a maths teacher saying "you won't always have a calculator in your pocket" lol, how wrong they turned out to be.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I was going to try to be clever and hand write my post, photograph it and upload it to your thread. Then I thought, that's not clever at all...

It's wise to photograph stages of your work. Construction /remodeling is not my primary source of income anymore but, I'm currently taking pictures (phone) of a side job I'm helping on. Also waiting on material delivery so...thanks ATS for giving me something to do while waiting.

I AM old enough to remember teachers saying just that. Thank gosh they were wrong, I've never been good at math. I suppose that's why I hold the 'dumb' end of the tape measure!
Just kidding really

edit on 12-5-2017 by TNMockingbird because: I'm not an 'it's' just a bad speller

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have a friend who is a heavy equipment operator. He uses the voice app often when we're texting.
Some of the translations are hysterical!
You know, when it doesn't get his words correct.

Anyway, I suppose it is useful if you have limited use of your hands or are prone to work injuries.
*wink*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join