It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, at odds with Erdogan, approves heavy weapons delivery to Syria's Kurds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Such heavy weapons typically include TOW / Javelin anti tank missiles, Stinger MANPADS, Humvees, counter battery radars, air defense radars. Kurds dominate the US backed Syria Democratic Forces, which is secular and multi ethnic. Erdogan backs Islamists such as Ahrar al Sham, which is counter to American values.

twitter.com...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye
One of the only positives for US ME policies in recent history.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

So are we finally backing the good guys?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Erdogan backs Islamists such as Ahrar al Sham, which is counter to American values.

Seeing how this is taking place in Syria then what the hell does American values have to do with anything? This is nothing more than the wasting of American tax dollars and if the Führer gets his way American lives.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is about making sure the Kurds can fight off Turkey, not ISIS. The Turks would happily slaughter the Kurds if they thought they could get away with it.

+1 more 
posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Erdogan backs Islamists such as Ahrar al Sham, which is counter to American values.

Seeing how this is taking place in Syria then what the hell does American values have to do with anything? This is nothing more than the wasting of American tax dollars and if the Führer gets his way American lives.

I think it is a little comical, all of these Hitler references, when talking about what Trump does or doesn't do.

As President of the United States, he is restrained by both Congress and the Courts - and under the watchful eye of the Free Press.

I mean, he can't even get simple Executive Orders enacted without interest groups and the Courts stepping in, and standing in his way. The media lambastes and lampoons him and his family on a daily basis.

Nobody's gone to jail, nobody's been shot, for standing up to "the Führer" as you refer to him. On the other hand if you say something unkind or critical about the President/cum Dictator of Turkey (even if you live in another Country), you are guilty of the criminal offence of "disrespecting" him.

Your ducks are not quite lined up straight...
edit on 9-5-2017 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry misread... to much belgium beer...
edit on 9-5-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Erdogan is not a friend of US way of life. I hope we have removed our nukes from Turkey. I do not see things going well between us as Erdogan turns Turkey into a Caliphate.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

No no... this is a good thing. Nothing trump does is bad or his fault. This is just fake news. Trump the politician is so different than obama and he's draining the 'swamp' and putting hilary on jail and going to get mexico to pay for something or the other.

But war is our business, its only right to show our customers their options in weapons availability.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

The US has hundreds of thousands of surplus TOW in storage. If they are not used they get recycled. Their batteries have a limited lifespan. The US gives thousands of TOW to Kurds. Doesn't cost taxpayers 1 cent.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
WAR, HUH, Yeah what is it good for .....absolutely nothin.

Trump believed that before he became president. It was one thing I was hoping was true about him. He lied about lying.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The Kurds are one of the few decent players in the Middle East. Not perfect of course, but mainly what they want is a country of their own and the ability to determine their own future. What is so bad about helping them? If you think it should be America First, I don't disagree with that, but you can't then turn around and say you supported Hillary. I have no problem with the US helping decent people around the world fight off Islamists and dictators, as long as it is done smartly. Giving weapons to the Kurds is a smart move, they are actually willing to fight for themselves (unlike Iraqis), and of all people in the ME the Kurds deserve the help. I actually think Trump's foreign policy has been pretty good, he hasn't done anything to get the US into a quagmire (yet), which is a big improvement over our last 2 Presidents.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3
He has not started anything new. He is doing exactly what he committed to do the entire time during his campaign, which is to fight and defeat daesh.

Besides, according to the CJTF-OIR, they only arm The Syrian Arab Coalition(SAC) . So what does Turkey have to be concerned for

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Trump agrees to further arm Syrian Democratic Forces to seize Raqqa
Turkey has objected to the YPG’s participation in the Raqqa operation, and floated the idea of it backing the Free Syrian Army (FSA) to retake ISIS’s so-called capital.
“We are keenly aware of the security concerns of our coalition partner Turkey,” White added. “We want to reassure the people and government of Turkey that the US is committed to preventing additional security risks and protecting our NATO ally."
The Coalition has repeatedly said it only provides its weapons to the SAC.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Erdogan is not a friend of US way of life. I hope we have removed our nukes from Turkey. I do not see things going well between us as Erdogan turns Turkey into a Caliphate.

Meh, leave em booby trapped.

Green wire or the red wire?

We have plenty.

edit on 5 9 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Kurds are Indo Europeans, descended from Medes. They are not Turks. They are not Arabs. Their values are closely aligned with Americans.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Kurds are a mix of different ethnic groups, including Turkomen, Arab, Assyrian, Persian, an Yazidi... The term "kurdish" doesn't refer to ethnicity but the former multi-ethnic Kurdish empire.

What you just said is total non-sense.
edit on 10-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

So are we finally backing the good guys?

The US has an extensive history with the Kurds. Even more so in Iraq and during the fight with Daesh. We have always backed them up and they have always fought our enemies. Kurdish women are pretty amazing, too. They shoot better than some of the Army boys I know

This agreement is more political. Us giving weapons to Kurds in Syria maintains our interests there while on the surface we are trying to cool things with Russia. Under the surface we don't want to lose any strategic advantages we may have. Turkey be damned. Erdogan hates Kurds. He's a dictator. It's unfortunate that the US has to try to maintain relations with that asshat.

edit on 10-5-2017 by AnonyMason because: sp

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

and if the Führer gets his way American lives.

Hillary Clinton was not elected so she cant waste any more American lives than she already has.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
If we're going to make the continued mistake of arming Islamics, I reckon arming the Kurds is the most palatable option overall. At least they've never bitten us in the ass with our own weapons like every other damned Islamic group we've armed in that region has.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 0racle

Kurds are an Indo Iranic ethnic group close to Persian. They are Indo European, not Turkic or Semitic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join