It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post-modernism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I'm an inquirer who likes to ask philosophical questions. I heard the next big thing that will take the world by storm is people who are studying subjects in art, philosophy and the like. Whether this is true or not, I know people are asking questions and are asking philosophical questions. So my question and too is, What is post-mordernism? I hear our society is a post modernistic society. I want to know what people think post-modernism is and where did it stem from? Also, is it a good thing that we are post-modernists. I hear this is the same a relativisim. Does relativism makes sense and is absolute truth of any relevance? What do you guys think? I hear this is a great place to have great discussions.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
He was of short stature. Maybe a midget? At least smaller than normal. He had a job that was prone to corruption and abuse of power. And yet Jesus saw a goodness in him. He said he would return "4xs the amount" to those whom he cheated. In the law it was only required to be double back.

He wasn't bad off, for he found salvation. And it wasn't through any philosophy of man.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zacchaeus

I hear this is a great place to have great discussions.

It is. This is the intro forum though, we are just supposed to say Hi.

So, Hi and welcome, a person so eager to jump in and start it up...

Just remember to keep the safety bar down and in the locked position at all times during the ride.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Hi!

I know what a post modern society is not, -An age ruled by professors and philosophists.. Sadly i might add..

But iz aalll goood.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Post modernism is showing a urinal to bunch or pretentious douche-bags and telling them it's art.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

With mordernism God is dead and superstitions are replaced by empirical science.

With post-mordernism our humanity is shelved as irrelevant and we will see the rise of robotics and automaton morality. Since nobody is really alive, there are no moral implications to killing other human beings or making them suffer since they are just mindless DNA robots carrying out the laws of physics.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hello & welcome to ATS.

Your question is in many ways a tough one to get at in one post because notions of what exactly constitutes postmodernity tend to vary, & it shows up in discussions of art, literature, architecture, history, economics, pop culture, etc.

In a general sense, there are themes that tend to overlap: fragmentation, dystopia, mixing the natural with the technical (cybernetics, etc.), and hyper-reality, to name a few.

A good way to start looking at the postmodern is to take a step back and look at what has been defined as "modern."

In terms of some of the philosophical underpinnings of postmodernism, it tends to be informed by poststructuralist thought, which is at the core of deconstruction. So some familiarity with Derrida, Barthes, Foucault, and Nietzsche is helpful.

In terms of some good resources on postmodernism, I would recommend "The Postmodern Turn: Essays in Postmodern Theory & Culture," by Ihab Hassan.
It's considered one of the seminal works on the subject. "Postmodernist Culture: An Introduction to Theories of the Contemporary," by Steven Connor is another good one.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Well, at the risk of sounding like a pretentious d-bag, the urinal as art was actually created by Marcel Duchamp in 1917. It's typically associated with the Dada period, which is a precursor to postmodern art.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

Quit being such a duchamp-bag!

jokes

I always thought that the urinal was his way of saying to critics and collectors that only artists will ever truly appreciate what is or isn't art.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Post modernism messed me up in college pretty good back in the early 1990s. Relativism is part of it, man as machine is part of it, a rejection of traditional knowledge is a big part of it.

Our sensory perception is a lie to our brains so there is no objective reality, only personal, flawed perception that does nothing to help prove anything is real. Art became more international in style for a while then the post modern meme "it's all been done before" changed art in to being about breaking the cultural boundaries and taboos. Postmodernism abandons traditions and old ways of thinking replacing it with the mind set that there is no absolute provable reality combined with cultural and moral relativism. Nothing can be the foundation, no thought, no concrete evidence, no seeing is believing, nothing can be agreed upon as truth when "it's all good" or "everyone's right if everyone is wrong". Stripped bare of any sense of what's real, oblivion is all you have left, or lunacy.

new topics

top topics

join