It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memory Issue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hi, just built my new Ryzen 1600X rig and seem to have some form of issue with the memory(Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz) which is only running at 1064.5Mhz.

I attempted to set the frequency manually in the bios but when I do the system refuses to boot and requires me to reset to stable levels before I can load windows 10 Pro.

Can anyone help or suggest a solution as the memory seems to be only running at around a third of it's potential. Sims are correctly seated in appropriate location for new AM4 board by the way.

My specs Ryzen 1600X, 16Gb DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz, MSI x370, GTX Palit 1070, Corsair 750CX PSU.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Default for ddr4 is (if I remember right) just over 2000. And (again, if I recall correctly) you have to overclock your system to get the full 3000.

ETA: Have you enabled XMP through the bios?
edit on 2942017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Think i need to enable the XMP feature and/or set the timings and voltage manually.

Just a little bit ambivalent to do so as i have not really ever had to screw around with timings.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Enable XMP first and see what you get. That should at least get you over the 2000, if nothing else.

Overclocking isn't that scary really. Just do it in small increments.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Shut down system
turn power supply off
unplug power cord
move CMOS Clear Jumper to on
press and hold power button (with no power) for 5 seconds
move jumper back
plug power cable back in
turn power supply back on
start system up (should automatically want you to go into UEFI)
Load optimized defaults in UEFI
Save and exit
go back into UEFI and check

At least a good shot at clearing issue.

And by all means do not overclock till all is right
edit on 4/29/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The bios on this board resets automatically to defaults level after a few failed boot cycles, so no need to remove battery or reset pins.

Im going to enable the XMP feature and move on from there.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

After enabling XMP, you should be running at pretty much double the rams current clock speed (I just googled it and the default is 2133).

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The bios on this board resets automatically to defaults level after a few failed boot cycles, so no need to remove battery or reset pins.

Im going to enable the XMP feature and move on from there.

The UEFI does. You are clearing CMOS with above
Ok , young Padawan , you have much to learn.
Most memory (2 sticks) have to be installed in slots 1 and 3. Slot 1 usually being the nearest the CPU
Also , since memory controllers are located on CPU , may want to verify CPU clock and bus speeds
I dont see this processor has a "black box " edition either (correct me if I am wrong)
And , you are running in standard DDR3 mode for some reason judging by your speed . And just where are you seeing that memory speed? CPU-Z ? Or another program ? Or UEFI itself
Cause in some places you look you will see basic speed ( remember that will be approx x2 or x3 . )

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Nope still refusing to boot a stable system with XMP enabled, board is just resetting to default values after a few attempts.

Tried it with only one memory sim but with same issue.

Bios seems up to date.

Is there any utility/software that can enable modification of memory timings/voltage whilst running the windows OS?

Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Buddy i already manually reset the bios by removal of battery before i noticed i did not need to do so with this board.

Ile give it a shot by i don't expect different results.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yeah, that's wishful thinking just now lol. You need to get XMP enabled before anything else.

Do as goth said. Reset cmos, boot into windows completely, shut down. Then go into bios, enable XMP and see if it stays enabled this time.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I still say bios because my phone doesn't try to autocorrect it. Also, most people still call it bios (even though it isn't).

BTW, don't think I was having a go. I wasn't.
edit on 2942017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I do indeed have much to learn master.

But the Bios rest, both with removal of battery and by shorting the jumpers does not, as of yet, seem to have solved or effected the issue.

Dont know about the "standard DDR3" issue you raised. How can DDR4 memory perform in DDR3 mode? Is it a feature or something?

CPUZ is reporting speed also the board monitoring in the bios.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Yes i know its a UEFI and not the old bios, but that's how i learned.

If you think that's bad you want to see how we were instructed as to how to remember the resistor colour code, lets just say it could be perceived as rather racist(which is not my bag). LoL

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I still say bios because my phone doesn't try to autocorrect it. Also, most people still call it bios (even though it isn't).

Yeah , I make that mistake as well every now and then....But I been around a long time. I even remember EEPROM writers and making POST on my system show my gaming handle in big blue letters. Dont know if I want to try that with UEFI..

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Yes i know its a UEFI and not the old bios, but that's how i learned.

If you think that's bad you want to see how we were instructed as to how to remember the resistor colour code, lets just say it could be perceived as rather racist(which is not my bag). LoL

You did see my other post on checking CPU bus and clock speed ? This is an AMD board ( I dont use Intel) so check hyperthreading. This is a strange issue . Memory is just basically a "plug and go"

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Another problem i found with the UEFI is that it does not exactly like to install windows via USB stick without enabling legacy support.

That one had me stumped for around an hour. LoL

Still no joy with with the memory issue i seem to be having. Bet its something really simple that im just not seeing?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I do indeed have much to learn master.

But the Bios rest, both with removal of battery and by shorting the jumpers does not, as of yet, seem to have solved or effected the issue.

Dont know about the "standard DDR3" issue you raised. How can DDR4 memory perform in DDR3 mode? Is it a feature or something?

CPUZ is reporting speed also the board monitoring in the bios.

So , CPU-Z is showing the same memory speed ? I know you stated the memory is in there correctly , but it never hurts to check again
As state , with 2 nsticks , most memory goes in slots 1 and 3 with slot 1 being closest to the CPU

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

CPU bus and clock speed are fine 3.6-4.0Mhz, temps within limits.

Just this memory issue, aside from that the build went perfectly.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join