It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Reminds me of the game Monopoly, under the chance or community chest. "Bank error in your favor, collect $20"

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That is the one and only thing I like about Walmart.

Self checkout.

The guy is a crook.

You'd be amazed at the articles that talk about theft from that place.

No one succeeds.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: crazyewok

IT was an employee who put $20's in the $5 slot. And the machine did what it was designed to.

Yup, and people saying that it's not my problem might cost a human their job.
Hope they enjoy bonus.

link   
Maybe I am stupid but what could they possibly be charged for? They didn't do anything wrong, did they? Found a gold vein.

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Always low morals......Always.

Machines cant regulate morality.

Risk you take when replace humans with machines.

Talking about the guy.

If that happened to me I would have walked up to an employee and told them.

Not me. Would have done the same thing.
Not my problem the machine messed up.
Not my job to alert them of their mistake

That's kind of sad.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What a waste of police time when the store management should have better trained, or diligent, staff. Broken systems get taken advantage of and should correct themselves.

I used to work in bars and if my till came up under, it was on me to make the difference. It only happened the once when I was swayed by a beautiful Aussie girl saying she'd given me a tenner and not a fiver. I'll never forget it and it taught me to be careful. It would have been absurd to call the police. Fair play to the sharky girl and her good looks lol.

Walmart won't miss a few hundred thousand dollars. A few hundred is beyond meaningless. It'll cost more taxpayer money to pay the police to piss about looking for the *criminals.*

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I do t see it that way.
I will admit my moral compass is unique but if a machine starts spitting out too much change I will keep on buying.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You act like a multi billion dollar company needs protection. What's wrong with you?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: seasonal

"Five members of the world's richest family added a collective $8.7 billion dollars to their fortunes following Wal-Mart's surprisingly positive first quarter earnings report on Thursday.

Wal-Mart stock jumped 8% in pre-market trading on Thursday climbed another 1.2% by the end of the day. Wal-Mart reported that sales rose more than expected during the first quarter, rising 1% at existing Wal-Mart stores in the United States. That was higher than the 0.5% rise that analysts expected. Despite the jump, Wal-Mart stock is down nearly 13% from this time last year."

They added $8700 million dollars to their fortunes in 2016. That's more than the family will spend in 100 years. I don't think they will miss the cash taken.

Neat sentiment and all but the problem is the family will still get their money. The ones that will get shafted are the employees.

People who justify stealing from corporations always think they're "sticking it to the man" when they make themselves feel good about being a thief but the reality is "the man" will always get his money. The only thing this kind of mentality does is put some poor schmuck out of a job, or keep them from getting a raise for the third year in a row, or drop them from full time to part time and cost them benefits.

So no, the family won't miss the money. But that's because they'll still get money one way or another. The guy making nine bucks an hour will miss it, though.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Maybe they should do their job properly.
They perform job wrong and get fired and it's my fault cause I benefited from that mistake?
Yeah I definitely don't see it like that

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Maybe I am stupid but what could they possibly be charged for? They didn't do anything wrong, did they? Found a gold vein.

Someone more adapt at law might have a better answer, I found this bit here though.

www.theguardian.com...

Basically, if the guy would have stuffed the change in his pocket, left the store, got home and realized he got more back he probably would have been fine.

Returning to the store and continually making transactions, knowing he would get more back then he paid, seems to fall under theft.

People, don't let your hatred of walmart/big corps etc color your responses(not directed at quoted op, just a general blurb).

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

This "theft" is similar to Walmart using snap, rent assistance, medicare and other social services to keep their wages low.

I consider walmart a corporate tax thief, and I believe they should be charged with RICO. But I can also be sure they did not violate the "letter of the law". Too big and too much lobby.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

You act like a multi billion dollar company needs protection. What's wrong with you?

It's not about protection, read my other posts.

It's about me, my morals, my principals.

Bottom line, the world needs more people like me, not the "gimme gimme gimmes" who look to exploit every little thing for personal selfish gain only to point the blame in every direction in order to maintain the facade that they are a little angel.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

People, don't let your hatred of walmart/big corps etc color your responses(not directed at quoted op, just a general blurb).

Now Now.

Stealing is ok as long as it's from people we don't like.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That is a good point, it happened in the store, non violent. Too bad, get your crap commando loss prevention on it.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I guess the guy who put the cash in the wrong slot will be looking for another job now.I'd hope not a bank teller

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

But does that apply too with walmart who steal from the taxpayer via corperate welfare or is theft only wrong if you are poor?

Where i stand I see two theifs here, walmart and the people who steal from walmart, both equally as wrong.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What 'corporate welfare' does walmart get ?

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

A human worker loaded the $20s into the $5 slot.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Having been a cashier a few times, I know if money comes up short in the drawer...often the employee is responsible for the oversight! I have gone through the hassle of trying to make a wrong a right. An extra $20 was stuck to the one I was given. The cashier had to call the manager, since she was not able to open her drawer without a key. Honestly, it seemed to irritate the cashier, the manager, and the customer who was waiting in line! Sigh. I even became annoyed since it shouldn't have been so complicated! Seriously, just toss the money back in as soon as the drawer opened again!

If I received a $20 from a machine instead of $5. I still would notify whoever was standing there for assistance. Certainly, going through a 2nd time and bringing family back is the same as theft! I cannot believe how some on this thread defend this mentality!

If you think Walmart sucks don't shop there. I know they don't pay the best, but many of them are a main source of employment that would not be available in rural areas. It allows many to gain experience and pad their resume and references, in order to have a step up to a better job and pay!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join