It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Conspiracy Theorists Really Need

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

At least you'd think in twelve years they'd know not to reference other forums.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Are you CIA?

You do know that the term "Conspiracy Theorist" was coined by the CIA, right?

This 1967 CIA Memo Is Still Used to Discredit Conspiracy Theorists Today

The Central Intelligence Agency released the following memo in April 1967 categorized as “PSYCH” which essentially weaponized the use of the label “conspiracy theorist” and laid out a number of dirty tactics using “elite friendly contacts” including politicians and media figures to discredit and shut down any claims and ultimately demonize anyone who attempted to challenge the government’s official version of events.

truthstreammedia.com...

At least get your terms right before you start slinging ad-hominem attacks. You have been suckered and falling prey to their psy-ops which are meant to influence the gullible.

I'm a conspiracy factist.

Plus I'm at work and going out on a dinner date with the Mrs. after.

What are your plans tonight?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

And your link is an opinion piece of Bullsh!t. Btw...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I've always thought of us as one big family. We're never alone.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Interesting article and Yes it is probably true that many CT"S spend a lot of time alone, some lonely while others thrive or are more secure in solitude. Being alone doesn't mean lonely necessarily but to your point yes, I do believe many CT's are people that could be considered outcasts, as in don't follow the herd, have strong convictions(whether right or wrong) or are socially awkward and feel uncomfortable among peers due to introverted personalities maybe.

Separate research has shown that social exclusion creates a feeling of meaninglessness and that the search for meaning leads people to perceive patterns in randomness.

This makes sense and the alone time is very conducive to generating these patterns of randomness, especially if one's passion about subject or it's effect is heightened. Some are simply more curious than others I believe, but again the separateness facilitates the exploration deeper.

The more excluded people felt, the greater their desire for meaning and the more likely they were to harbor suspicions.The more excluded people felt, the greater their desire for meaning and the more likely they were to harbor suspicions.

Makes sense to me. I recall a study once that addressed 'only children'(no sibling) and how they grew up clinging to larger ideas and had a tendency to want to fix problems in the world. They tend to project themselves onto social or environmental issues with such fervor, and feel driven to share that awareness or get involved in a cause. As an only child I relate to this. Perhaps the lack of siblings extends our connection with the outside world more than within a family structure, as a supplement for intimate relationships and meaningfulness.

What can be done about it? The typical get out and get some fresh air of course. Try full length conversations without CT variables swimming through one's head. Sift through ATS in the spirit of denying ignorance and cross reference CT subjects to get a better idea of truth. ATS has neutralized many of my CTs by seeing topics get processed and addressed from multiple perspectives and sources. Granted ATS feeds the CT mind as well, and there are actual CTS that we should be concerned with, but ATS serves to debunk a great portion of these CTs.

I think withing the group indicated in this article, there are actual people who feel lonely, whom I could only suggest seeking more social endeavors and activities. Then there are the folks that relish solitude and have an insatiable thirst for truth and information. Even those folks(me included) could use more time away from the pursuit of truth and being information/news junkies. I will also state that there are genuine CT's that we do need to address in life, but we should be careful not to make the tin foil hat a permanent fixture on our heads. Grains of salt and critical thinking should be considered, and a general moderation to consumption of CT's.

I consciously decided to fill some of the void time with doing volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity. This has been a great experience on multiple levels. Obviously helping others is good and feels good, but it is also refreshing to realize that things are not as bad as they may seem in the real world as opposed to through the lens of CTs. It is healthy to diversify one's social relationships imo, even though we take comfort in spending time with those of like minds. Even if we are very selective about who we choose to spend time with, there are various personality types we could throw in the mix for friendship and camaraderie, especially positive people.

I recall a thread from way back that discuss CT's and how they play out. I found it enlightening and personally liberating.
The Last Conspiracy by
schrodingers dog

edit on 26-4-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Lot of blaming the messenger with personal attacks here. If it's not too much trouble, take time to actually read the article here. It's pretty much right on and y'all protest too much. When the truth hurts, people lash out. The reaction here is living proof.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I would be inclined to agree with you if I was lonely but I'm not. My partner and I are quite focused on CT and we are far from lonely. We just see through the bullsh!t.

It's really not any more complicated than that.

Bullsh!t article designed as a last ditch effort to discredit conspiracy theorists.

The skeptics days are numbered.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

In a second experiment, college students were made to feel excluded or included by their peers, then read two scenarios suggestive of conspiracies (price-fixing, office sabotage) and one about a made-up good-luck ritual (stomping one's feet before a meeting). Those who were excluded reported greater connection between behaviors and outcomes in the stories compared with those who were included.

“People think of conspiracy theorists as these weirdos,” says psychologist Alin Coman of Princeton University, the paper's senior author, but even college students at a prestigious university can harbor these views. Coman adds, “Anybody could become entrenched in that kind of thinking if the right circumstances arise.”

Sounds like they're talking about the sorts who buy in the Patriarchy Conspiracy theory.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikehawk

Are you CIA?

You do know that the term "Conspiracy Theorist" was coined by the CIA, right?

This 1967 CIA Memo Is Still Used to Discredit Conspiracy Theorists Today

The Central Intelligence Agency released the following memo in April 1967 categorized as “PSYCH” which essentially weaponized the use of the label “conspiracy theorist” and laid out a number of dirty tactics using “elite friendly contacts” including politicians and media figures to discredit and shut down any claims and ultimately demonize anyone who attempted to challenge the government’s official version of events.

truthstreammedia.com...

At least get your terms right before you start slinging ad-hominem attacks. You have been suckered and falling prey to their psy-ops which are meant to influence the gullible.

I'm a conspiracy factist.

Plus I'm at work and going out on a dinner date with the Mrs. after.

What are your plans tonight?

Thank you so much for that document number. I'm reading it with a new open mind. I think they messed up. I think they messed up big.

Time to connect some dots lol

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The absolute bottom line is that everyone is a conspiracy theorist. We're just too afraid to talk about it in real life.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Whatever you gotta tell yourself i guess...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I would be inclined to agree with you if I was lonely but I'm not. My partner and I are quite focused on CT and we are far from lonely. We just see through the bullsh!t.

It's really not any more complicated than that.

Bullsh!t article designed as a last ditch effort to discredit conspiracy theorists.

The skeptics days are numbered.

No, they're not, and conspiracy theorists do a very good job of discrediting themselves. They don't need help. The article is hardly a "last ditch attempt" at anything. ATS is a backwater conspiracy site without much respect. The fact is that sites like this attract those who are not well integrated into society. People with something to do do not have time to wallow in these forums. It's not so much about YOU being "lonely," but about people who have never met a conspiracy they didn't like, from chemtrails to "we never walked on the moon" and actually believe them. You don't "see through the bullsh!t" any better than anyone else and if you think so, you're being disingenuous to yourself. There are a few gems here once in a great while, but mostly it is is a place for crackpots to congregate and pretend they belong to a "community."
edit on 4/26/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have always maintained that one's propensity to buy into conspiracies is in direct proportion to how lacking in sexually activity they are.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Well, I've been here twelve years now, being entertained by the hijinks on Above Top Secret.

And if I've learned one thing in all that time, it's that you folk don't get out much. Lonely, love-starved, out of touch with reality and 'striking with your spirit's knife/invulnerable nothings'. So it came as no surprise to hear that Conspiracy Theorists May Really Just Be Lonely.

The question is what can be done about it. Suggestions?

Yeah, Ive got a couple. Get involved.*
*This is from an additional reply I made elsewhere here today, but equally pertinent to this thread. Folks should get out and contribute instead of delving into everything as though a conspiracy...Thanks....

"You know you can volunteer yourself? We could use citizen help. Contact your local city, county, township, state's Fire Department, Emergency Management Departments, Red Cross etc.

Mysterioustranger, 1st Responder,
ADLS/Advanced Disaster Life Support
Emergency Medical Tech, Emergency Response Team
FEMA/Department of Homeland Security
Region 2 South, Wayne County, MI"

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Pretty bitter and snotty attitude if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

originally posted by: Astyanax
Well, I've been here twelve years now, being entertained by the hijinks on Above Top Secret.

And if I've learned one thing in all that time, it's that you folk don't get out much. Lonely, love-starved, out of touch with reality and 'striking with your spirit's knife/invulnerable nothings'. So it came as no surprise to hear that Conspiracy Theorists May Really Just Be Lonely.

The question is what can be done about it. Suggestions?

Yeah, Ive got a couple. Get involved.*
*This is from an additional reply I made elsewhere here today, but equally pertinent to this thread. Folks should get out and contribute instead of delving into everything as though a conspiracy...Thanks....

"You know you can volunteer yourself? We could use citizen help. Contact your local city, county, township, state's Fire Department, Emergency Management Departments, Red Cross etc.

Mysterioustranger, 1st Responder,
ADLS/Advanced Disaster Life Support
Emergency Medical Tech, Emergency Response Team
FEMA/Department of Homeland Security
Region 2 South, Wayne County, MI"

I feel offended because that reply was posted to me in my thread, and is not pertinent at all to this "issue"

You know nothing about me and I was merely speculating on a series of events and presenting it. Hardly a conspiracy theory, let alone a conspiracy theorist that needs to get out and contribute.

What I do for a living 7 days a week all revolve around "contributing" to society.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I typically meet and talk to over 100 people a week. Most of them would say we're "friends" or "random acquaintances".

If you told me to "get out more often and meet people", I'd look at you like you're very ignorant.

But I have no problem admitting that I'm lonely at Heart and that's generally because I'm not interested in any of the people I meet to be honest. It's really complicated.

I have a "friend" that I talk to pretty much everyday for half of the day but I don't really feel connected to them in the right ways and I feel like my relationship with that person is empty. We are on completely different levels of existence imho.

I guess my real problem is that I don't really like anyone I know that much and would rather just go off on my own and enjoy my own company. I am interested in finding the right female to form a healthy happy relationship with and I'm mostly over my divorce 2+ years ago despite a few lingering issues.

I just keep meeting people that I don't jive with. I get along with everyone fine, I just don't like being trapped and limited by the boxes their minds are all trapped within - because I'm too busy focusing on getting out of my box.

I don't really consider myself a "conspiracy theorist" either though. I much prefer the terminology "investigative skeptic" if we are to label me in this context.

I like labeling myself because I know me better than anyone. The labels others give each other are very mean spirited and or usually inaccurate. I find the premise of this thread to be an ad hominem style approach and not really rational in terms of it's inherent implications...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Sounds like some more mainstream media speak. Trying to figure out what's "wrong" with conspiracy "theorists."

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Sounds like some more mainstream media speak. Trying to figure out what's "wrong" with conspiracy "theorists."

Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with people who believe absurd things and construct vast, elaborate fictions in order to justify their beliefs?

Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with people who routinely accuse others, particularly those in the public eye, of heinous crimes and unspeakable motives, based on no solid evidence whatsoever?

Well, who knows? You could be right. But the only thing the linked article accuses conspiracy theorists of is loneliness.

Nothing wrong with being lonely, is there?

Is there?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I probably spend about an hour a day on here. If people with these amazingly busy social lives don't have time to "wallow around" these boards then please explain Facebook to me...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join