It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget sanctuary cities. Oakland approves sanctuary workplaces

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Really, I think the title of this should be "Oakland Goes Full Retard."

It isn't enough to resist enforcing and following the law to simply ignore the illegal aliens in their city and refuse to cooperate with immigration. Nope! Oakland's City Council decided to go one brave step further. Why keep your illegality inside the government system when you can formally move to privatize it?

As the battle grows over sanctuary cities, a resolution passed by the Oakland City Council Tuesday night urges employers to refrain from voluntarily working with immigration officials.

Maria Martinez, who works in hotel housekeeping, said it happened to her at a previous job as soon as she and other employees started organizing and asking for fair wages.

“The owner of that hotel got in contact with ICE immigration officials,” Martinez told KPIX 5 through a translator. “And ICE came to the hotel and checked everyone’s paperwork, while we were trying to stand up for our rights.”

Outside Tuesday’s meeting, immigrant rights groups rallied outside City Hall, calling for protections for immigrant employees.

We want to make sure that the employer doesn’t work with ICE or immigration when they come to the worksites. That the companies don’t do self-audits and that workers are able to work without fear,” an advocate said.

Oakland City Councilmember Abel Guillen introduced the measure calling for “sanctuary workplaces, where workers are respected and not discriminated against or threatened based on their immigration status.”

So did you catch that? The council decided to take the opportunity of a local hotel calling ICE in on their employees to pass the ordinance as a protective measure. Granted, you can find some dirty moves with hotel. Why were they working with employees they felt might be illegal in the first place? The calling in of immigration now smacks of scare tactic, but this is now beyond that.

Oakland just endorsed every employer in their city to flagrantly hire illegals and ignore federal law and openly NOT work with immigration in any way.

Here's section 8 U.S. code 1324a - Unlawful employment of aliens:

So the Oakland City Council has officially gone on record as encouraging employers to violate federal law. And oh, just by the way, the act of formalizing this encouragement also appears to be in violation of a related statute, that being 8 U.S. Code § 1324 (a)(1)(A)(iv) which specifies criminal penalties for anyone who, “encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.”

So now we've gone in Oakland from this just being a spat within the government, so the government endorsing and encouraging civilian lawbreaking too. And there is a section of legal code covering that. At this point, in Oakland, the entire city council who voted on this could be hauled off to jail for their actions. They are knowingly violating federal law, making ordinances to encourage such, and openly bragging about it in the press.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No it's all good, officer.

My city council member told me I didn't have to comply with federal regulations.

HA! Full retard indeed.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I say we follow Oaklands lead and formally ignore all gun regulation.

TWO can play this game.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If it wasn't for the weather, a 30 year mortgage and the fact I can have Marijuana delivered to my door at any time of the day, I'd leave this Insane Asylum.

The Golden State..? No, more like the Cesspool State...

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What ever happened to states rights? Why should the federal government have the right to tell a state who can be there and who cannot? At least these people are working and paying into the system. The better way to fight illegal immigration is to arrest the people hiring the illegals. We can start with Donnie and work our way down.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

What ever happened to states rights?

Ask Jan Brewer.

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
What ever happened to states rights? Why should the federal government have the right to tell a state who can be there and who cannot?

If maintaining the border doesn't fall under the feds duties then I don't know what the hell would.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If an employer is a publicly traded company and refuses to work with immigration or other law enforcement agencies, the share holders would have a right to sue the company for mismanagement of their fiduciary responsibility. Especially if that employer isn't headquartered in Oakland.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Totally agree, and we are citizens and that is a constitutional issue!! But there here illegally and get away with breaking laws!?!?a reply to: neo96

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
What ever happened to states rights? Why should the federal government have the right to tell a state who can be there and who cannot? At least these people are working and paying into the system. The better way to fight illegal immigration is to arrest the people hiring the illegals. We can start with Donnie and work our way down.

The federal government has very, very few actual duties (although it presumes to take on more than they are actually allowed):

- protect our borders
- protect our currency
- protect our economy/markets

This is the duty of our federal government, with pretty much everything else relegated to the states. This means Uncle Sam can wage war over attacks on our markets and monetary systems, enforce our borders, negotiate trade deals, establish positive tax practices for business, ensure stability of currency valuation, etc.

What he SHOULDN'T be doing is collecting income taxes, providing charity to the public, and worrying about how many 1911's chambered in a .45 that I choose to have.

Im sure you know all this...but if you're gonna drag out states rights, lets start first with federal roles.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

What ever happened to states rights? Why should the federal government have the right to tell a state who can be there and who cannot?

Federal immigration law transcends state law. And it is illegal to grant rights to non citizens that are constitutionally limited to real citizens. That's why we have legal immigration.

The better way to fight illegal immigration is to arrest the people hiring the illegals.

Which is exactly what Sessions and the Trump presidency are about to do.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Can anyone explain to my why I, being an American citizen.
Having a drivers license with a photo.
Having a car registration and proof of insurance.
Need a passport to return to my country from Canada or Mexico?

But not if I'm illegal, that's ok..

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

The real rub here: the DHS provides a tool called "everify" that will report employment status to you based on information from the employees I9. If you get approval from them, you are teflon coated in any I9 or ICE audits or investigations. ITs like having Uncle Sam certify each of your employees for you.

And its free.

Any business owner not using e-verify is shirking their duties and not tending to their business appropriately.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm sure some holier- than- thou liberal will be by shortly to libsplain to you the difference
edit on 20-4-2017 by Arizonaguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
ICE will run advertisements for "free screenings" and collect as many illegals as they can handle.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

No doubt,

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

E-verify is basically useless in the construction industry as most workers are subcontractors and are exempt from it.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh! Well, this should certainly work wonders to curb the cities gangs and crime issues, no doubt. Full retard indeed!

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy

E-verify is basically useless in the construction industry as most workers are subcontractors and are exempt from it.

Subcontractors are exempt only because you are filing a 1099 on them. If they are a business owner and are illegal, then that is between them and themselves, you just need to file the 1099. If they are an employee of the subcontractor, the subcontractor is liable for them.

In other words: it doesn't matter to you if your subs have illegals.

FWIW, i deal with construction/development (new business units) as well as operations.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I work as a project manager specializing in restaurant construction and can attest to the fact that most of our subcontractors sub their work on legally iffy contact labor with 1099s. Many subs in good standing concentrate on federally funded projects now because E-verify is mandatory, even for subs, on most of those projects. I've heard it time and time again...they are sick of bidding against Juan and Jose doing business out of the back of pickups. If Trump was serious he would close the 1099 loophole.
edit on 20-4-2017 by Arizonaguy because: Turbulence over the Rockies

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join