It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is building brain-computer interfaces for typing and skin-hearing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: galien8

Unless I miss my guess from the data I could come up with, this is sort of an offshoot of an old SORDAC silent comm system.

Your brain feeds motor signals to your throat, lips and tongue while you're sub vocalizing. That internal voice you hear when you're thinking ends up routed to your mouth for speaking it, but it's mostly inhibited.

Mostly. There are still remnants that can be picked up and converted to speech. So, SORDAC at one time tried fielding the thing. You wore it like a chin strap sort of thing and all you had to do was think what you wanted to transmit verbally like you're doing as you read this.

It sort of worked. Sort of. When your beard came in, you got to readjust it a lot, and then it wouldn't work at some point. Or if it got wet. Or knocked around enough. It didn't last long.

This looks like they're using sensor fusion to combine several cheap cameras to pick up your subvoc optically. Which probably won't work if you have a beard. But it might be a lovely way to catch what people are thinking about if you had them in visual range. DARPA already has a nice rig to combine cheap cameras with a sensor fusion algorithm to read your iris prints as you walk down the sidewalk they've already demonstrated, I suspect you could apply a few tweaks and duplicate this.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
God help us all..

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: galien8

old SORDAC silent comm system.

Thats a nice start to a "thing" where a human spirit and the computing device become an unity, kind of a brain extension, which I would not want connected to the internet by the way, think of psycho viruses (just like now computer viruses) and 3rd parties controlling your mind

<< 1   >>

join