It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran announces that it will never give up its nuclear program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Iran today announced that it would never give up its nuclear program despite stepped-up diplomatic pressure from the United States and the EU. The European Union offered Iran financial, technological, and trade assistance in return for guarantees but Iran refused, stating that it saw its nuclear program as a bargining chip and one it was not ready to give up.

apnews.myway.com
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran will never scrap its nuclear program, and talks with Europeans are intended to protect the country's nuclear achievements, not negotiate an end to them, an Iranian official said Wednesday.

The remarks by Ali Agha Mohammadi, spokesman of Iran's powerful Supreme National Security Council, are the latest in a hardening of his country's stance amid ongoing talks with European negotiators. They also reflect Tehran's possible frustration at the lack of progress.

Europe is pressing Iran for concessions on its nuclear program, which the United States claims is aimed at producing atomic weapons. In exchange for nuclear guarantees, the Europeans are offering Iran technological and financial support and talks on a trade deal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I see quite a few things here. First of all, its not mentioned but worth bringing up that the much maligned French government is one of the main players in the talks so in that way they are supporting the war on terror. Second, Iran is acknowledging that their continued nuclear program is more an attempt to be part of the "nuclear club" when it comes to negotiations and not an innocent attempt to create power sources for its population. This was clearly never the case considering that Iran sits on an incredible reserve of natural gas that could easily provide power at a much lower cost then developing nuclear reactors. Finally, I really hope that democracy really is catching on with the young in Iran as it seems to be. A revolution from within that overthrows the Iranian government either through force or through diplomacy seems the best resolution to this potential crisis.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
.....Meanwhile the clock keeps ticking, how many more months do the iranians need before they force their way as an unwelcome guest at the nuclear big boys club ?

The fact that the Europeans get more demanding and no longer accept stalling (=buying development time) tactics, must mean , the big powers must think that Iran is pretty close.

IMHO Things are bound reach critical mass very soon, either demonstrated by iranian nuclear test or airattacks on their faccillities....

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The Europeans are in complete denial. We are on a countdown to disaster right now with Iran. Action has to be taken now or Iran will have a nuclear capability that it will use against Israel, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Israel hasnukes as well so Iran would be nuked too soi guess they will nuke each other an worldbe a safer place as terrorists will be nuked at same time lol

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have a hard time seeing why this would be a good move for Iran.
Nukes may be bartering power, but they seem to only be testing the patience of the international community. They already know the US wants to take action, but should they try to piss off Europe as well?....Almost seems like a deathwish to me. Maybe they already see the inevitable end coming, they have seen 2 neighbor terrorist regimes removed, and they may see this as their only means for deterent.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Like blobby said, maybe they wish to see the third terrorist state removed as well

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So, why exactly is America and England allowed nukes but Iran isn't?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slashpepper

We were'nt allowed to have-em, we invented them (US). England and its scientists played a large part at the beginning of the Manhatten project and later were a founding partner in the NATO alliance that has you not being a Russian speaker today.

The idea is to reduce the arsenals of the cold war opponents while at the same time preventing any further proliferation so that one day hopefully all mankind will not have to worry about burning in a nuclear fireball.

Still want those nukes for Iran? Why add to the problem as it exists - makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
They didn't refer to a nuclear weapons program in those quotes, so i think they were refering the their nuclear power program. I don't mind them having nuclear power as long as they don't build weapons. Hard to deny one without denying the other though. There are plenty of countries with nuclear power that do not have nuclear weapons but can Iran be trusted to be one of them? I don't know really.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Trent]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The Europeans are in complete denial. We are on a countdown to disaster right now with Iran. Action has to be taken now or Iran will have a nuclear capability that it will use against Israel, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

Iraq has shown that the yanks are useless at winning the hearts and minds of a local population. I doubt there will be the military action against Iran that some people are dreaming of instead Bush and his cronies will think that Iran will follow Iraq example and become a western style democracy.

However this idea is flawed because the election in Iraq hasnt defeated the insurgents there still running wild. Even if Iraq becomes a stable democracy it dont mean the likes of Iran will continue the trend.

Irans nuclear program is a threat which needs to be delt with in a smart way . Nuke the sites where Iran is working on its WMD program.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Does not a sovereign nation have a right to its technological achievements? Yes, they do. And why should it be dangerous for one more Country to possess nuclear technology? It is no different than America, where some people say, "We should nuke them!" You can't be more dangerous as expressed by some of the remarks of Americans.

On top of that, nuclear proliferation just makes it more likely that nuclear weapons will not be used. The reason is that world destruction would happen if somebody were to launch a nuke to another nation.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Here's the difference IMMORTAL and others:
The US and Israel do not and are not considering or proclaiming that they will destroy another nation with nukes, such as Iran is doing: the Mullahs controlling Iran have always stated that they would destory Israel, with whatever means necessary. Rhetoric or not, acquiring nuclear capabilities ups that Iranian rhetoric and agenda, huh?
RAFSANJANI SAYS MUSLIMS SHOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPON AGAINST ISRAEL

seekerof

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
Does not a sovereign nation have a right to its technological achievements? Yes, they do. And why should it be dangerous for one more Country to possess nuclear technology? It is no different than America

does noone understand the npt? iran signed it, therefore they cant have nukes, only USA, china, russia, france and the UK are allowed by the treaty and anyone who didnt sign the npt(israel, india and pakistan).

"Each non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty undertakes not to receive the transfer from any transferor whatsoever of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices or of control over such weapons or explosive devices directly, or indirectly; not to manufacture or otherwise acquire nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices; and not to seek or receive any assistance in the manufacture of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices."

[edit on 2-2-2005 by namehere]

[edit on 2-2-2005 by namehere]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slashpepper

Look into the NPT Iran is a signing member of that. I cant count the number of people that say this same thing and have no clue about the NPT. The US,UK,France,Russia and China are allowed to have them.

Google it and all shall be revealed

[edit on 2-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

[edit on 2-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
Does not a sovereign nation have a right to its technological achievements? Yes, they do. And why should it be dangerous for one more Country to possess nuclear technology? It is no different than America, where some people say, "We should nuke them!" You can't be more dangerous as expressed by some of the remarks of Americans.

On top of that, nuclear proliferation just makes it more likely that nuclear weapons will not be used. The reason is that world destruction would happen if somebody were to launch a nuke to another nation.

There is a difference between "some of the regular people in the US" saying "nuke them" than having a government that has made the threads Iran has done and allowing them to build nuclear weapons.

If Iran gets nukes I am pretty sure they will quickly get all the lands they have been disputing is theirs with other surrounding countries. Very few countries in the middle east, and the rest of the world would want Iran with nukes, even though some of these same countries gave them the technology as for example Russia and China.

This announcement lets the world know that the government of Iran does not want to change their minds in getting nukes. It is a shame because then the next course of action is to make sure they don't get nukes even if it means using force.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
RAFSANJANI SAYS MUSLIMS SHOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPON AGAINST ISRAEL
seekerof
[edit on 2-2-2005 by Seekerof]
That doesn't sound too good. But, doesn't Iran only want to use Nuke Tech for electrical generation? Have they ever said they will make a Nuke weapon? I don't know.

Anyway, it might not be a good idea for them to have nuke tech production facilities at this time, judging by the statements of the Muslim Cleric.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Are you saying that a government cant lie? Well anyways, I think the only way to stop them from getting nukes would be by force and what kind of force? I dont know but its gonna be one hell of a war if we have to be the ones to stop them. This doesnt worry me at all but I fear for all the innocents that would be killed.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Source: Cox & Forkum

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
djohnsto77, what on earth is that supposed to mean? You really think that Britain, France and Germany are helping Iran develop nuclear weapons? No wonder the World is less inclined to assist the US

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blobby 2
Israel hasnukes as well so Iran would be nuked too soi guess they will nuke each other an worldbe a safer place as terrorists will be nuked at same time lol

im just worried about iran selling these nukes or enriched plutonium to terrorist and smuggling them into other countries.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join